• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ft Lewis-McChord M1079 inspection training advice

freecr

I just purchased a M1079 LMTV van that I'm flying out and planning to drive home. All the way to Rochester MN. Is anybody in the area familiar with this style of vehicle willing to "show me the ropes" (PCMS pre-trip checks etc) I've never drove one before and I'm looking for a friendly tutor. If I can't find friendly I'll take mean and loud. I'll have very limited tools with me and as of now the only serious issue I know of is it needs to be jumped.

tractors0130

Before I bought my M1078 LMTV, I downloaded all the TM's and parts manuals on a flash drive and reviewed them. They do ride and handle well and only go about 50 mph with stock gearing. Make sure your front planitary drives are full otherwise you will burn them up. They have 4 of the full size military batteries in them and run a dual voltage system with the lighting being 12 volts. I switched mine over to just 2 civy batteries and it starts and runs fine.

freecr

Tractors0130,

Thanks, I have all the TM's and will review and might print some pages as well as the electric copy. I'll install two civi batteries ASAP. Are the battery clamps common sized? Do I need to change them as well? Any Suggestions on Battery type/brand/size?

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Optimas... personal opinion. But Exides or Interstates or really anything would be ok.

There's a guy who just picked one up from here and drove West... can't remember where, but I'll PM him to contact you if he's not seeing this thread.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow 1800 miles through some tough country. My 1078 is a 98 model and I have been debugging it for months now. The batteries in yours are probably Hawker AGMs. Mine took weeks to bring back to life. So you better plan on changing those. The posts are the same, but civi batteries are too tall for the cover to fit and don't match the square cutouts in the tray.

tractors0130

I used 2 group 34 batteries with 955 CCA each and a couple of cheap battery hold-downs. Cover with these batteries will close with no issue, had to shorten hold-down bolts. I was going to go the Optima route; however the store talked me out of them since they had been getting a lot of come-backs on the newer ones. Picture shows battery and cable arrangement, slave is not connected in pic.20150326_164223-1.jpg

Doug Roberts

I would service the differentials before the trip out. I know of one SS that had a front axel snap 6 miles out. Other SS members have talked about this to me about mine, so it stays on my radar.

63foxtrot

Steel Soldiers Supporter
People have died driving these trucks home from bases. Many many brake downs on this site on FMTVs. You Being a newbie with a surplus complicated truck. You are better off having it hauled. I've been doing this for over 30 years. Just my 2 cent, This recovery can turn into a nightmare quickly.

freecr

Doug Roberts,

I'll definitely look into the differentials,

I've purchased and sent two optimas to my sister's place, with any luck they will be there in time.

Does anybody know if everything is metric, or SAE on this truck or is it a good deal of both like everything else. It sure would be nice to only have to carry one roll of wrenches. Also, what is a safe range for wrenches? Anything smaller than 7/16 or larger than 7/8 come to mind?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Both SAE and metric, mostly metric. 3/4 seems to be the largest you will need. Allen wrenches too. A multimeter for sure.

Shark Bait

Definitely check the axle ends. 11-13 ounces of 70/90 gear oil if I remember correctly. The TM will tell you. I've not ran across any yet that we're full. Same fluid in the diff's too but but much more of it. The cab hydraulics is a mil-5606 aircraft/missile fluid not to be mixed with anything else. I bought a gallon can made by shell for $36. May take you some Rotella 15W-40 in case oil is low. Auctionaddict, Nat here on SS, has some service kits for good price. I'd buy one of them and ship out to your sister. It has all your filters in that kit. Never know if ya need a fuel filter with not knowing the fuel in the tanks.
PA mix of metric and standard. Lug nuts are large like 1 1/8 or so. I bought a impact socket but I'm not home to check it for ya. My M1078 will run 58 mph but engine stays a lot collet at about 45-50. The box on the m1079 may hinder the superb aerodynamics of these trucks. Lol

Dave

freecr

Shark Bait,

I sent him a pm. I've already sent wrenches, pliers, multimeter, sockets, allen wrenches and batteries to my sister. I want to do or have done a complete Fluid and filter change someplace in or near Seattle. My sister lives in an apartment so most likely I won't get to play myself but rather pay someone else to play. I've called the nearest Jiffy lube to my sister's place and they said maybe if I could determine the correct Filters and Fluids and the Amounts of each they would probably be game at least for some, maybe even all. I have already downloaded all the TM's and will try to determine that info. If you or anybody already has a list, or a better suggestion as to where to take it to have most if not all fluids changed and topped off please let me know. Any other suggestions of tools or stuff to send (our carry on plane) please tell me.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would suggest an Allison authorized service center if you want to do a transmission service, and a big rig lube shop or Cat dealer for the engine. The wheel lug nut size is 1.5", the usual size.

mark1080

Freecr,

How did the trip go? I just purchased an LMTV M1079 from that same army base (FT. Lewis-Mccord) I was planing on making a trip from Washington to SE Idaho about 800 miles later this week.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks