• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

East coast to West coast trip - Free part taxi - standby assistance requested

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll be going from Fayetteville, NC to Seattle, WA, through West Virginia, in an M934.

Everything checks out, but it'll be a fun trip.

Couple things.

1. I'm offering a FREE 'taxi' service, from NC to Seattle, if you're along my proposed route. If you need anything shipped/transported from anywhere along my route TO anywhere along my route, I will gladly help out. I will not accept any payment for this. Small or large parts, as long as it fits, it should be good. Keep in mind I won't have a ton of space, but I'm willing to help out where I can. I'd prefer it be stuff that's too large to ship economically, or borrowed parts that need to go back to their owner. I cannot and will not accept any compensation for this. I do NOT want to be involved in 'Interstate Commerce', and this is a furtherance of the hobby, NOT a shipping service. This means I'm helping out, not coordinating between buyer and seller and arranging times. Keep in mind that, god forbid something happen to the truck, plans can and do change, and may lead to a longer than estimated 'delivery' time.

2. I'd like a list of people along my route to assist if need be. A simple name, location, expertise, and phone number would be great. That way I have a resource to tap if anything pops up that's beyond a simple roadside repair, or even to stop and do a mini-meet if it's around meal time.

3. I plan to sleep in the back, and have provisions for doing so.

4. I plan on keeping fairly slow, about 45-50 MPH, and stopping every couple hours for stretches/fuel.

5. Anyone wishing to travel with me is welcome to do so, at my discretion (Bring ear plugs).

trip.jpg

If interested in being on standby in case something happens, or need a part ferried, post here and/or shoot me a PM. I will update this thread with my current location every night.

Plan is leaving Fayetteville, NC around noon on Mon. 04/06/15

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Best of luck for him. If he needs help be sure to post up.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Left Fayetteville around 1400 after fueling up. Filled up in Richmond, a little over 30 gallons.

Made it to West Virginia (harpers ferrry/Hagerstown, MD area) at about 2215

Small air leak at fan clutch... Nothing horrible... Otherwise... Smooth sailing...

Rough math equals 6mpg...throttle set and 55 mph at 2000 to 2100 rpm.... It did not like some hills.... Slowing down to 25 for some of them.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Left Fayetteville around 1400 after fueling up. Filled up in Richmond, a little over 30 gallons.

Made it to West Virginia (harpers ferrry/Hagerstown, MD area) at about 2215

Small air leak at fan clutch... Nothing horrible... Otherwise... Smooth sailing...

Rough math equals 6mpg...throttle set and 55 mph at 2000 to 2100 rpm.... It did not like some hills.... Slowing down to 25 for some of them.
Bet if you slowed down to 1800-1900 you'd see a MPG improvement. I know my 250 sucks fuel running that fast. I know wreckerman has made mention that's the "sweet spot" for them RPM wise.

reset2

Just found this thread. I live in Hagerstown area. Im sure you are well past this but if not I can assist. I know a day late.:???: An adventure of a life time. By the way you didnt say why you are doing the journey (unless I am a day late for that too).

Alaskaboy

Safe travels John, I am going to be making the same trip in a week or two with my 5 ton from Fort Bragg to Seattle. I will be watching your journey here and when you get home, I would like to be able to talk to you about the trip. Find out if there are any stretches you would have done differently or whatever tips you may have. I will PM you my phone number when you get home and if you don't mind, give me a call and we can talk.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
THANK YOU! to reset2 for helping me cut holes in my bumper so I could mount some lights for the trip.... I'll post more pics when I get the lights finished..

2015-04-10_01.29.15.jpg

Dunno if he wants his face out there... So I opted to keep it hidden.. PERSEC and all that jazz... :D

Last edited:

reset2

Bumpers are thicker than I remembered but we got them. You should have a much brighter trip once all wired up. I was really impressed with your purchase and to have the curage to go cross country in a 30 year truck.
One other SS person spoke about a Infared gun to check temps on the critical parts would be a good idea. Wheel bearings, differentials, trans, and the like. Might keep you from issues once you get away from the crowd on the East Coast where things are further apart if you have issues.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks