• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

East coast to West coast trip - Free part taxi - standby assistance requested

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well glad you made it back home. Im sure it will be a while before you make that trip again but if you really want to sounds like Alaskaboy will have an empty seat. :) Overall your trip was not a total loss. If you remember when we hooked up my air grinder to cut the holes in the bumper for the lights a lot of water and rusty water that came out. After working on my 5 ton dryer couple weeks ago and what happened to you on the trip if anyone out there is planning on a trip take a new air dryer for insurance.

Definitely... And thanks again for the help..

It was a learning experience for sure, and as such, plans come out of it to make sure future occurrences are eliminated or reduced.

Not much went wrong, but spare parts should be carried.. I brought belts, and nothing air related... That will change.

Alaskaboy

Glad to see you made it in one piece. I'm probably going this weekend to start my trip. Had some stuff shipped to Bikeman's house for the trip. A new air dryer, a 1" air impact wrench for changing tires, a 22 ton air/hydraulic jack, some air hose and a small air tool set. Going to set up some air line to run everything off the glad hands. will pick up some hand tools and spare air line parts and hose for the brake system when I get to Fayetteville. Is there anything else you think I should get for the trip? If I PM you my number would you be willing to talk about the trip and the route you took?

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad to see you made it in one piece. I'm probably going this weekend to start my trip. Had some stuff shipped to Bikeman's house for the trip. A new air dryer, a 1" air impact wrench for changing tires, a 22 ton air/hydraulic jack, some air hose and a small air tool set. Going to set up some air line to run everything off the glad hands. will pick up some hand tools and spare air line parts and hose for the brake system when I get to Fayetteville. Is there anything else you think I should get for the trip? If I PM you my number would you be willing to talk about the trip and the route you took?
Bring 'Soldier B'...

heh.

a cushion or 5 for the seat needs to go on the list..

I would also get a cheap 5 gallon air tank, and fill it before your trip. If your truck is not running, you have no air. If you have a leak, you have no air, etc.

Shoot me your number via PM and I'll give you a call when I get a chance, we can go over all the fine details.

It really wasn't that different than any other road trip, to be honest, just slower...

I WOULD change out ALL the fluids, and stop every 50 miles or so for the first couple hundred miles, to smell, look, touch, and yes, taste, if any fluids are leaking, brakes are holding, or anything else isn't right.

I did develop a small fuel leak on the second to last day, but it only did it when cold and would disappear when warmed up.... Not from the IP, thankfully...

ABN173

A 24v "Robotool" would be an asset, and would work even if you had no air. Extra tubes and tire tool might not be a bad idea either. I just replied to you PM today. I'm in 3BCT on Bragg, and I've been swamped lately. Sorry for the delay in responding.

turnkey

great trip report and pics....Air ride is is a big plus for you on any road trip...Glad you went there and back again....Should send you a Hobbitt hat for your trouble....Thanks for tale it was great ..

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rough numbers so far....

Pretty telling...

Avg a little over 5 MPG for the M934..

I'm betting having a flatbed instead of the cross dimension of a 2 story brick would help fuel consumption.

Attachments

AZK9

TechnoWeenie...

Glad to see that you managed to work through the problems you faced along your trip.

I'm considering the possibility of making a similar 'voyage' from NJ, across the country,
to the Central Highlands of Arizona. Total distance (with a few minor detours along the
way) ought to be about 2900 miles.

If things go as I hope... I plan to acquire my first M35A2 in the next week or so! After
going over the truck and checking out all the systems for soundness and safety, I'll
know better about if I'm really able to pull it all off.

So much has to happen before I can actually make this 'dream adventure' into something
real, but... seeing that others have ultimately been successful, it's a real boost to my
enthusiasm at this point.

Now... having said all that, if the truck I plan to buy turns out to have too many issues to
correct over the next two weeks, then I'll likely have to postpone the trip until this time next
year.

In any case... I greatly appreciate reading this thread (and many others on the forum) which
documents the experiences and knowledge of others, so that folks like myself can gain from it all.

Congrats, TechnoWeenie... I'm inspired by your perseverance and triumph over adversity!

Another Ahab

TechnoWeenie...

Glad to see that you managed to work through the problems you faced along your trip.

I'm considering the possibility of making a similar 'voyage' from NJ, across the country,
to the Central Highlands of Arizona. Total distance (with a few minor detours along the
way) ought to be about 2900 miles.

Congrats, TechnoWeenie... I'm inspired by your perseverance and triumph over adversity!
Yes, kudos to TechnoWeenie. It is a great thread.

And go for it yourself, AZK9; and post your diary once you start the big voyage. Plenty of us here to keep you encouraged. :)

And also, welcome to the site.

AZK9

Yes, kudos to TechnoWeenie. It is a great thread.

And go for it yourself, AZK9; and post your diary once you start the big voyage. Plenty of us here to keep you encouraged. :)

And also, welcome to the site.
Thanks for the welcome! I love this site and especially reading this type of thread.

I'm totally new to all of this, but feel that I can learn a lot from the people here.
I've been reading all kinds of info here for months before finally joining. It's a lot nicer
being a member!

Hope I can positively contribute in some way at some point. Maybe keeping folks posted,
as I progress on my journey, would be a good way to start.

I've first got to seal the deal on the M35A2 I've been looking at... and... then get it
in shape to make the trip west. Any tips, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Again... thanks for the welcome. [thumbzup]

Another Ahab

Any tips, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Again... thanks for the welcome. [thumbzup]
First things first:

- Go ahead and start your own thread, so we can all give you a right proper welcome (and also so we don't go down the hijack road here on TechnoWeenie).

reset2

First things first:

- Go ahead and start your own thread, so we can all give you a right proper welcome (and also so we don't go down the hijack road here on TechnoWeenie).
Finally made it back to read the whole thread. I really think it was a good trip but it sure must have been scary sometimes. Have you been using the truck lately? Most of all I'm impressed that a 5-ton made it a whole way across the country. A trip of a lifetime.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally made it back to read the whole thread. I really think it was a good trip but it sure must have been scary sometimes. Have you been using the truck lately? Most of all I'm impressed that a 5-ton made it a whole way across the country. A trip of a lifetime.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk
Only been taking it out a couple days a year.... That will change this year.

I'm focusing more time and money on it to convert to an RV. I have a rough plan, that I'm sure will change.

So far, only minor issues related to rubber and age..... I neglected the batts so that's my fault... ether fuel pressure switch rubber diaphragm leaked so I removed that... The alternator that red river put on there didn't have the key for the pulley installed properly, so the key shattered, tossing the alt belts, and ruining the pulley/shaft... But I sourced a cheap Alt. replacement..

I have a list of things to do....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks