• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

East coast to West coast trip - Free part taxi - standby assistance requested

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are in Minnesota now?
Middle of SD now...

50ish... Around 2000rpm...

Actually getting closer to 6 mpg than 5... Thanks to flat land..

Some hills in PA and WV I was going 25 mph up.... And couldn't go faster...

I predict some more of the same in MT...

Biggest issue is the seat.

Spring sucks. Shock is shot. Foam is toast..

Added 2 seat cushions from Walmart... Still not good.

I'm wearing ear plugs but I still hear the engine running after I shut it off... And dream about it... :p

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Middle of SD now...

50ish... Around 2000rpm...

Actually getting closer to 6 mpg than 5... Thanks to flat land..

Some hills in PA and WV I was going 25 mph up.... And couldn't go faster...

I predict some more of the same in MT...
A photo of the territory now and then would be SO sweet.

Could you maybe "click" a pic or two!?

please.gif

Alaskaboy

Found a good air dryer if anyone needs one, going to order one before I make my trip.Try ebay search 24V HALDEX ABS AIR DRYER

Last edited by a moderator:

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I gotta change all the fluids (again)
I'm going to replace both fuel and oil filters with spin on
I'm gonna replace the air lines with synthetic rubber and standardize the dimensions. Each line will be on a barbed connector with hose clamp so replacement will be easy if necessary.
I'm going to replumb the air system, making each tank with its own blowoff valve, and shutoff valve, so all the tanks are connected yet separate. I can isolate a tank or line in the event of a leak or failure. Each tank will have a check valve as well.. Incoming air cannot escape the way it came in. This way if there is a leak upstream, I still have all the air in the tanks, instead of watching my needle drop like a rock...

Lots of other stuff... But first things first..

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also.. The warning buzzer can't be heard with good ear protection on.

It will be replaced with a 120db warble alert.... With a cutout switch so I don't have to hear it once the problem has been identified.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I gotta change all the fluids (again)
I'm going to replace both fuel and oil filters with spin on
I'm gonna replace the air lines with synthetic rubber and standardize the dimensions. Each line will be on a barbed connector with hose clamp so replacement will be easy if necessary.
I'm going to replumb the air system, making each tank with its own blowoff valve, and shutoff valve, so all the tanks are connected yet separate. I can isolate a tank or line in the event of a leak or failure. Each tank will have a check valve as well.. Incoming air cannot escape the way it came in. This way if there is a leak upstream, I still have all the air in the tanks, instead of watching my needle drop like a rock...

Lots of other stuff... But first things first..
You probably should research the D.O.T regulations before altering the air system , unless your truck will used off-road only .

Plane Fast

Oh, and I think if you just change out the check valves and update your air dryer. (And possibly the PPV) All your air problems should be good. It's not a bad system when it's maintained.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You probably should research the D.O.T regulations before altering the air system , unless your truck will used off-road only .
I'm not much for rules and regulations.

Safety is more important to me than the 'right' way. If it's safe, do it.

No warrant, no inspection.

Wanna crawl under the truck? Don't complain if you get run over..

All I know is I had 3 air related failures... And I want eliminate future failures of a critical system and provide rapid fixing of a failure should it occur.

Nothing I proposed would impair safety... Quite the opposite, it would improve reliability of a critical system.

Adhering to 50 yr old DOT guidelines (fmvss anyone?) when better, more reliable, and safer, technology is out there, is dumb.

That's an argument for another thread. I'm not required to undergo DOT inspections.. So that's not an issue either.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, and I think if you just change out the check valves and update your air dryer. (And possibly the PPV) All your air problems should be good. It's not a bad system when it's maintained.
My concern is the lines blowing out... Rather.. One line blowing out twice...

If one will, others will.

The lines were sitting for at least 7 years and plastic gets brittle over time...

reset2

Well glad you made it back home. Im sure it will be a while before you make that trip again but if you really want to sounds like Alaskaboy will have an empty seat. :) Overall your trip was not a total loss. If you remember when we hooked up my air grinder to cut the holes in the bumper for the lights a lot of water and rusty water that came out. After working on my 5 ton dryer couple weeks ago and what happened to you on the trip if anyone out there is planning on a trip take a new air dryer for insurance.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks