• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 cab tilt brackets working dimensions

skippytdi

Hi All.
New to here. Nice to meet you i am sure. i hail from the us northeast, currently being smothered in aluminum dust.

I'm a new mog owner, an 85 FLU419. I had a few random questions. Here we go:

Was wondering if anyone had the cab tilt bracket measurements/working dimensions on hand.

Also wondering if anyone had an overall length of the cab tilt safety cable, the one that prevents the cab from swinging down too far and is shown as being shackled to the drivers step.

Also, and much less important, was wondering if anyone knew what the rubber strap, in the engine bay, behind the drivers headlight was used for. Also curious what the metal tube attached to the inside of the drivers loader arm was intented for.

Also wanted to thank Von for his tie rod boot repair writeup, i had four perfect tie rods all with torn boots and the repair procedure works quite awesomely. Thanks.

Any help is much obliged.
Nice to meet you all.
Mike Perri.

bchauvette

Luckily when I had to tilt I didn't need the brackets. I didn't have to lift very high to sneak in to do what I had to do. If you don't get the bracket dim you can figure it out by function. The purpose of the brackets is to lift the cab to get around the rubber cab mounts .

I use a ratchet strap for the safety cable and an other for lifting the cab. walking the cab up and adjusting the safety strap in steps.

Be sure to mark the steering column shaft to coupler orientation before undoing. It will be a bear to re-orientate the steering wheel. aua

You have to open the hand brake cable can. I'll try to get a pic of it. It is to the left and below the steering box looking into the engine compartment.

If you take some pics it might help IDing those things. I don't recall those on Kermit.

Why are you needing to tilt?
tiltbrackets.jpg

Last edited:

skippytdi

response

Hi Butch.
Ratchet strap sounds like a good idea.
I had a photo of the cab tilt brackets, they look the same as the ones you pictured except the pin is oriented 90 degrees to the flat of the stock with the bolt holes.
Gotcha on the steering shaft, i have the tm regarding tilting printed, and i have seen and do know what your talking about regarding the ebrake can.
i'll take a few pics regarding the miscellaneous items i mentioned.
I'm looking to tilt mainly so as to allow access to degrease and pressure wash the engine.
Thanks for responding.
Mike P.

bchauvette

I'm having a bad day today. M944 is down. Your bracket seems to be the right one. the can is to the right of the steering box looking down into the engine not the left. I strongly urge you to tighten every thing that takes a wrench after you clean it up especially all the air lines. Lubricate everything. any rods that slide in and out and the shafts on the air cylinders.

How doe the gear splitter function behave? That's what I call it. It is the shifting you get with the up/down collar on the main shift lever.

also check the air hoses that go into your difs for the lockers.

Here is a pic of the can from the left side. Unless you have a head the size of a smart phone you won't be able to actually see it. You can see the clip that keeps it shut. For me getting this opend was the hardest part of the tilt procedure.

IMG_1477.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks