• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anyone added a 2" x 2" receiver ?

1951M1078

In looking at the photos ( I don't own one yet) I see some bolt heads at the petal hitch area. Could they be used to mount the receiver mount to ? My trailer has a 2 5/16" ball on receiver.

Was hopping I could build it here and install if for the trip back with my F250 on the trailer.

If and when I win a bid, I will need to drive out from AZ to the east coast. Hope I find one that can be driven back without to much repair ? With the F250 their I should be able to go for parts and all my tools will be in it also.

Ideas ?

Thanks,Randy

jpg

I went to the local trailer hitch guy with the best reputation, a guy who's been at this for decades. He had access to all the commercial hitch products. I went with his recommendation and he welded one in place.

I use the Curt 48007 Receiver Mount Combination Ball and Pintle Hook. The 2" ball handles my civilian trailers, and as a pintle it handles my M1101. The ball is rated for 5 tons, the pintle for 8.

hitchBall.jpg
One caveat. I ordered mine from amazon, and I had to return the first 2 because the pin wouldn't fit in the hole that holds the jaw open. All on their nickel. If you order on-line, be prepared to return a few if they're not right.

1951M1078

Good idea. But its like 1600 to 2100 miles depending on where ? Was hopping to not put the miles on the F250 but on the trailer.

Do you pull the drive shaft ?

Thanks for the idea !
Randy

aheilmann68

Along those, lines its really tight in the rear to do some welding under the truck and behind the lundette, so looking ttomake it bolt on.

1951M1078

Most will bolt on to the pental mount but the inside plate ?

Any body want to take s photo for me ? Looking to the rear from the rear axle ?
Thanks,Randy

Last edited:

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Removable Pintle Hitch/Receiver

Still don't know why this tried and tested setup hasn't become popular this side of the Atlantic for exmilitary vehicles....

M818 pintle receiver.jpg
Side 'frame' brackets can be bolt on, with almost nothing showing when it's removed.

1951M1078

All good info and ideas !

Think I will stick with the under mount.
Thanks PS for the photos. Maybe I can use the pintle rear nut for a pickup point for the inside plate ? The rear plate could slide over the pintle shaft and bolt to the 2" x 2" receive ? Or, maybe the lower cross brace bolts ? Need to think about this ???

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks