• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Crash - Subway drive thru.

gunboy1656

Seen some other pics today. Truck still looks very repairable. Plus a pic of the first vehicle hit.

I would be interested to know what all work the seller really did to the truck. If what I have read is correct it was bought from a big name dealer in PA.

Attachments

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This happened across the street from where my son goes to school. He is ten. Kids were all speculating what happened. They thought he was probably drunk. My son, took one look and said, nope, his brakes went out. Ata boy!

I saw the scene moments later and really can't piece together what officially happened. I may need to hear the latest, but last night the reporting had him going westbound. He would have had to do a sharp u-turn to get into the store that way.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Jake, glad it wasn't you. When I first saw York, PA in the report, I was hoping it wasn't you.

Wonder if the locals are going to start looking more carefully at any of the trucks in the area.

DeucesWild11

It scares me to see this kind of an accident. I just hope that we never have a really bad one happen with loss of life that makes politicians want to kill our hobby. If he did infact buy the truck 3 hours earlier and never drove one of these before that could have something to do with it. I would have killed the engine and dumped the clutch into 2nd to try and slow her down a bit. Then again things happen so fast sometimes..

turnkey

Nice looking rig...What a mess..Now the SUV is a crossover...not sure between what and what...Good thing no one was badly hurt....Have to really find out what happen..

eaw46

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do not know what happend and am only speculating and have no information but I am woundering if he bought it 3 hrs before did he have it plated in his name and did he have insurance on it? If not this might bring a lot more Police attention to the rest of us. Eddy

barefootin

A lot more information in this article... Purchased in Philly, even gives the drivers name and his business name... :shock:

http://www.ydr.com/local/ci_27918373/truck-driver-said-brakes-failed-before-subway-crash

Quote:
The brakes on a privately-owned military vehicle failed as it was westbound on Route 30 in Springettsbury Township on Tuesday, causing it to strike an SUV and a nearby Subway restaurant, police said.
Two female pedestrians were struck during the crash into the Subway, located at 1701 Whiteford Road, and were taken to an area hospital with moderate injuries, Springettsbury Township Police Sgt. Brian Wilbur said Wednesday.
The 2 1/2-ton truck, also known as "a deuce and a half" was driven by John Good, 36, of Louisville, Ky., and had just been purchased by Good's company, Spudz Chips, also in Louisville, Wilbur said.
Good told police that as he was approaching the intersection with Route 30 and North Hills Road, he noticed traffic stopping and applied the truck's brakes.
"The brakes failed, absolutely," Good said. "We were going to bring it back and use it as a promotional vehicle down the road. It performed nicely for three hours from Philadelphia to York."
Good began honking his horn to try to warn the motorists who had stopped, but when he saw that they were still unaware of his brake failure, he moved to the right, Wilbur said.
A Ford Escape stopped in front of him, and Good was unable to avoid the collision, Wilbur said. Good then pulled the truck's steering wheel all the way to the right, turning briefly onto North Hills Road, before entering the parking lot at the Subway, and eventually into the building itself, Wilbur said.

Good, who was not injured, was cited for operating an unregistered vehicle, Wilbur said.
"I'm just really concerned for anybody who was injured," Good said. "It's been on my mind since it happened."

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't see this ending well for us.
I don't see this being anything other than a local story.

It's over. No one on the West Coast that doesn't read this site cares or even noticed. It's not going to get picked up and make national news. The old dude who went for a run from the cops in his deuce got more press, and what happened in the aftermath?

ke5eua

I don't see this being anything other than a local story.

It's over. No one on the West Coast that doesn't read this site cares or even noticed. It's not going to get picked up and make national news. The old dude who went for a run from the cops in his deuce got more press, and what happened in the aftermath?
This is how I found out about it before on SS. Out of the 471,799 people who like that facebook page 1,567 people liked that individual post with 273 shares.

Screenshot from 2015-04-15 20:50:08.jpg

We live in a time of social media, and whinny people on the west coast.

The fact that there were injuries is what makes it a difference.

Here is a google search,

Screenshot from 2015-04-15 20:54:06.jpg

RAYZER

I don't see this ending well for us.
Vehicles crash into buildings every day, some make the news, some dont.
Tomorrow when someone crashes their Toyota through the front of a day care because the brakes fail and they have no insurance or registration, everyone's Toyotas won't be taken away or banned from the roads.
I don't think this incident will have any effect on private MV ownership and use.
This guy who remodeled the Subway storefront might want to lawyer up, I'm sure it's going to hit his wallet hard!

Flyingvan911

All we can do it watch out for ourselves and each other. Accidents happen. The best thing we can do it work hard to prevent them through careful operation and strict maintenance. Our hobby walks a tight rope everyday.

saddamsnightmare

View attachment GTA-9-1-1851-8 M35A2 Pre Trip Inspection Proceedures.pdf

June 28th, 2015.

Gentlemen:

Empty deuce averages about 13,400 LBs X MPH (speed) equals a very massive impact with no brakes. This is why I always say, maintain, maintain, inspect and reinspect! Do your Pre-Trip inspections every day! Don't have the list, look on the TM's for the deuce, its on here! If it doesn't pass, it doesn't move until properly repaired and inspected.

The deuce is a woefully underengineered truck for use on the road, and one should consider every application of the brakes as a potential failure..... All it takes is one brake hose or line failing, and with the single circuit hydraulics, well, the parking brake isn't going to stop you. Trucks with air brakes can have similar accidents, and so justly, they are covered under special licensing and servicing rules. The deuce is, and was, a low speed medium tactical truck. Properly designed two circuit hydraulics would have been fully capable of stopping the truck in the event of one loop failing, not so with it's present archaic design.

Now is the time for us to get together and work out a properly engineered, designed and manufactured upgrade to our trucks that will turn them into the equivalent of the US Air Force rebuilt or contract deuces, with the properly split hydraulics systems...... All it would take is a brake manufacturer to remanufacture the Master Cylinder components of the air packs into dual cylinders. Perhaps we can get new KIA units at a good rate, as they are still building deuce and five tons....

These are not toys, and you can be sure that there are many members driving deuces, 5 and 10 tons, LMTV and FMTV's that have no clue how to inspect, maintain and drive the beasts, and less understanding of the degree of maintenance and inspection required every day.... I feel sorry for the driver, but his insurance bill is going through the ceiling, as he obviously didn't think ahead and allow for a brake failure.... Treat EVERY stop like its a potential wreck due to brake failure. If you do, you'll be ready to react with a preconsidered plan of action.:???:

See the GTA-9-1-1851-8 attached above, courtesy of JATONKA, as I think my disk is still in my truck manual down in Texas.

Dumping the clutch after killing the engine probably won't do any good with a deuce, as if you rotate the diesel, it will just fire up again. The man should have been going down through his gears long before the stop, to guard against what happened here. With the injuries, and the publicity, this will not bode well for our hobby. As I have said above, too many people are driving these old trucks that are in no way qualified to do so, save that they have the money and are foolish enough to purchase such an item. I hope the man's company has really good insurance, because I see several lawyers profiting from this case......

If you drive it like a car, you'll likely die in some very interesting ways..... These aren't Toyotas, they aren't toys, and by their very visibility, such an accident as this can and will one day get the demil codes changed.... Don't blame the media, blame the idiot who drove the truck home when it should have been inspected and repaired correctly first, then trailered commercially. Idiots bloom all over the place, it's a self perpetuating species as far as I can see....

Last edited:

belmor

Things like this are why a Deuce wasn't even in the picture for me when I was deciding what I want. Too much truck with not enough brakes. I have always felt that for safety ANY truck that size (and some smaller) needs full air brakes.

quickfarms

I was thought to downshift a truck to a stop. But then again I was hauling max, permitted, overweight loads at an early age. What fun it was to have a three axle truck running at 60,000 in all types of weather, no AC and unsprung walking beam rear suspension

saddamsnightmare

October 5th, 2015.

Bumped for increased awareness of inspection & safety issues.:D

This is one time that a foot-long's going to cost more then $5.40!:naner:

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks