Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Deuce Crash - Subway drive thru.

Thanks

I don't see this ending well for us.
    Michael D. H.
    SGT (RET) US ARMY
    KE5EUA - Generally I'm an amateur of

2 Star General
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ke5eua View Post
    I don't see this being anything other than a local story.

It's over. No one on the West Coast that doesn't read this site cares or even noticed. It's not going to get picked up and make national news. The old dude who went for a run from the cops in his deuce got more press, and what happened in the aftermath?

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rhurey For This Useful Post:

Terrh (04-17-2015), USAFSS-ColdWarrior (06-30-2015), WOLF DOG (05-03-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rhurey View Post
    I don't see this being anything other than a local story.

It's over. No one on the West Coast that doesn't read this site cares or even noticed. It's not going to get picked up and make national news. The old dude who went for a run from the cops in his deuce got more press, and what happened in the aftermath?
    This is how I found out about it before on SS. Out of the 471,799 people who like that facebook page 1,567 people liked that individual post with 273 shares.

Screenshot from 2015-04-15 20:50:08.jpg

We live in a time of social media, and whinny people on the west coast.

The fact that there were injuries is what makes it a difference.

Here is a google search,

Screenshot from 2015-04-15 20:54:06.jpg
    Michael D. H.
    SGT (RET) US ARMY
    KE5EUA - Generally I'm an amateur of

Thanks
    Thanked 2,067 Times in 954 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ke5eua View Post
    Vehicles crash into buildings every day, some make the news, some dont.
    Tomorrow when someone crashes their Toyota through the front of a day care because the brakes fail and they have no insurance or registration, everyone's Toyotas won't be taken away or banned from the roads.
    I don't think this incident will have any effect on private MV ownership and use.
    This guy who remodeled the Subway storefront might want to lawyer up, I'm sure it's going to hit his wallet hard!
    Ray

1986 m105
    1968 m146 RV conversion https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...-RV-Conversion
    1968 m35a2 road tractor https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...tor-conversion
    1963 m246a1 (mack)
    M373 Van trailer

Thanks
    Thanked 1,311 Times in 806 Posts

All we can do it watch out for ourselves and each other. Accidents happen. The best thing we can do it work hard to prevent them through careful operation and strict maintenance. Our hobby walks a tight rope everyday.
    It is a poverty when a dictionary must die so a person may spell as they wish.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flyingvan911 For This Useful Post:

Ferroequinologist (04-16-2015), SCSG-G4 (04-16-2015)

4 Star General saddamsnightmare's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,767 Times in 988 Posts

GTA-9-1-1851-8 M35A2 Pre Trip Inspection Proceedures.pdf

June 28th, 2015.

Gentlemen:

Empty deuce averages about 13,400 LBs X MPH (speed) equals a very massive impact with no brakes. This is why I always say, maintain, maintain, inspect and reinspect! Do your Pre-Trip inspections every day! Don't have the list, look on the TM's for the deuce, its on here! If it doesn't pass, it doesn't move until properly repaired and inspected.

The deuce is a woefully underengineered truck for use on the road, and one should consider every application of the brakes as a potential failure..... All it takes is one brake hose or line failing, and with the single circuit hydraulics, well, the parking brake isn't going to stop you. Trucks with air brakes can have similar accidents, and so justly, they are covered under special licensing and servicing rules. The deuce is, and was, a low speed medium tactical truck. Properly designed two circuit hydraulics would have been fully capable of stopping the truck in the event of one loop failing, not so with it's present archaic design.

Now is the time for us to get together and work out a properly engineered, designed and manufactured upgrade to our trucks that will turn them into the equivalent of the US Air Force rebuilt or contract deuces, with the properly split hydraulics systems...... All it would take is a brake manufacturer to remanufacture the Master Cylinder components of the air packs into dual cylinders. Perhaps we can get new KIA units at a good rate, as they are still building deuce and five tons....

These are not toys, and you can be sure that there are many members driving deuces, 5 and 10 tons, LMTV and FMTV's that have no clue how to inspect, maintain and drive the beasts, and less understanding of the degree of maintenance and inspection required every day.... I feel sorry for the driver, but his insurance bill is going through the ceiling, as he obviously didn't think ahead and allow for a brake failure.... Treat EVERY stop like its a potential wreck due to brake failure. If you do, you'll be ready to react with a preconsidered plan of action.

See the GTA-9-1-1851-8 attached above, courtesy of JATONKA, as I think my disk is still in my truck manual down in Texas.

Dumping the clutch after killing the engine probably won't do any good with a deuce, as if you rotate the diesel, it will just fire up again. The man should have been going down through his gears long before the stop, to guard against what happened here. With the injuries, and the publicity, this will not bode well for our hobby. As I have said above, too many people are driving these old trucks that are in no way qualified to do so, save that they have the money and are foolish enough to purchase such an item. I hope the man's company has really good insurance, because I see several lawyers profiting from this case......

If you drive it like a car, you'll likely die in some very interesting ways..... These aren't Toyotas, they aren't toys, and by their very visibility, such an accident as this can and will one day get the demil codes changed.... Don't blame the media, blame the idiot who drove the truck home when it should have been inspected and repaired correctly first, then trailered commercially. Idiots bloom all over the place, it's a self perpetuating species as far as I can see....
    Last edited by saddamsnightmare; 06-28-2015 at 21:23.
    Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1963 Swiss Cargo Unimog S404.114 "Helga" (after Haagar's wife!). Found a new home in Michigan 5-5-2019

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 WoW "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran Deuce and a Half.
    (Sold in Texas 4-3-2012)

1968 Johnson Corp M105A2 Cargo Trailer.
    (Sold in Texas 4-3-2012)

1967 Hercules MEP023A gas Gen Set "Rev up your C130 Here!".(It went to Perrin Field AFB Historical Society Museum at Dennison,TX.)

Looking for a USAF Step Van in Abilene, TX area!

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to saddamsnightmare For This Useful Post:

Another Ahab (06-30-2015), Katavic918 (11-07-2017), m1010plowboy (06-29-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,556 Times in 1,647 Posts

I like the idea of coming up with a redundant system, ideally one that fails safe like full airbrake systems do...

Corporal
    Thanks

Things like this are why a Deuce wasn't even in the picture for me when I was deciding what I want. Too much truck with not enough brakes. I have always felt that for safety ANY truck that size (and some smaller) needs full air brakes.

Thanks

I was thought to downshift a truck to a stop. But then again I was hauling max, permitted, overweight loads at an early age. What fun it was to have a three axle truck running at 60,000 in all types of weather, no AC and unsprung walking beam rear suspension

4 Star General saddamsnightmare's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,767 Times in 988 Posts

October 5th, 2015.

Bumped for increased awareness of inspection & safety issues.

This is one time that a foot-long's going to cost more then $5.40!
    Last edited by saddamsnightmare; 10-11-2015 at 16:30.
    Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1963 Swiss Cargo Unimog S404.114 "Helga" (after Haagar's wife!). Found a new home in Michigan 5-5-2019

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 WoW "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran Deuce and a Half.
    (Sold in Texas 4-3-2012)

1968 Johnson Corp M105A2 Cargo Trailer.
    (Sold in Texas 4-3-2012)

1967 Hercules MEP023A gas Gen Set "Rev up your C130 Here!".(It went to Perrin Field AFB Historical Society Museum at Dennison,TX.)

Looking for a USAF Step Van in Abilene, TX area!

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to saddamsnightmare For This Useful Post:

Another Ahab (10-05-2015), SCSG-G4 (10-05-2015), USAFSS-ColdWarrior (10-05-2015)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast