Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cheap / Inexpensive portable WMO filter & storage setup.

Thanks

Default Cheap / Inexpensive portable WMO filter & storage setup.

I downsized from my previous WMO filter last year which can be seen HERE. I needed a bit more room in the garage and just didn't need the larger filter setup that had the 55 gallon drum.
    I was given a Lincoln 3601 Pressurized oil drain pan (probably an exact copy of the Harbor Freight 20g Portable oil lift drain pan).
    I modified this setup to be my waste oil collection tank and filtering station. It filters by closing a valve and attaching it to an air compressor. The tank comes with a built in regulator that pressurizes the vessel and pushes the wmo out the bottom clear hose (and now through 2 filters) and into your container or fuel tank.
    One of the clear hoses comes up from near the bottom of the tank and now goes to the filter setup, it also serves to show how much fluid is in the tank.

Honestly I haven't filtered yet with it, but will soon. I'm pretty excited at how small and mobile it is, all the built in stuff that's nice to have on a filter station (bottom drain, pump{compressed air}, level sight, casters, funnel, hose, spigot. While I didn't have to pay for this tank system, I still would have been pretty happy that they only cost around $150.

Modifications made were:
    - I took out the extension tube between the funnel and the tank so now the funnel attaches directly to the valve (This doesn't need to be done, but I chose to).
    - I added a "sediment drain" to the bottom of the tank. It already had a threaded hole there with a plug so I just added a valve and drain hose (the blue one) to be able to drain out the settled garbage before filtering the rest of the oil.
    -added a couple of the napa/wix oil filter bases, Baldwin fuel filter/water separator on the first base, and BF7587 fuel filter on the second base.
    -added 2 gauges to hopefully be able to tell when filters need changing (1 before the first filter, 1 after it)
    -added a pizza pan to the top to cover funnel when its just sitting around.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '88 AF M109A3 W/W CAMPER
    '04 M105A2 Trailer W/CBC
    Stainless Steel Braided Brake Hose Info HERE
    Lots of Deuce Brake info HERE

“That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation” (Romans 10:9-10).

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to peashooter For This Useful Post:

4x4 Forever (04-20-2015), PCBOCCHI (11-04-2017), Wildchild467 (04-20-2015), wrenchturner6238 (04-20-2015), Yarz (06-11-2015)

Thanks

That is pretty much the same thing that I built except I used an old propane tank. It works great! Just like you said, let the oil settle and a lot of the sludge will go to the bottom, then drain that off. I love my system and it works very well!
    Tom

I'm just a 24 volt guy living in a 12 volt world.
    I never had so much fun going so slow.
    Its not what you buy, its what you build.
    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

1972 M35A2 W/W
    1968 M109A3 W/O W
    M105A2
    M200A1
    1984 Libby MEP-002A
    PE-75 (2.5Kw 110VAC 60 cycles powered by a Briggs Model ZZ)
    1940 Ford Pickup Street Rod
    1923 Ford T-Bucket
    2000 Jeep Cherokee with 6.5' Western Unimount
    2003 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom (deer slayer)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,072 Posts

What does that final filter down to? About 5 micron?
    Jonathan
    Amateur Call Sign: KE0JRH
    US Army '74-'79

No matter how good or bad you think life is, wake up each day & be thankful to GOD. Somewhere, someone else is fighting to survive...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steelandcanvas View Post
    What does that final filter down to? About 5 micron?
    I believe it is 98.11% efficient at 5 micron or a 5 micron Absolute
    '88 AF M109A3 W/W CAMPER
    '04 M105A2 Trailer W/CBC

“That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation” (Romans 10:9-10).

Thanks
    Thanked 2,879 Times in 1,420 Posts

Nice setup. My unit uses gravity feed, a bag filter then through a goldenrod water trap down to 1 micron. pretty clean.
    DIAMOND T M20.
    M54A2 I.H. M62. wrecker
    M54A2 5 Ton (with Praga command station surveillance body fitted)
    M45 530C TFFT fire truck
    1942 Ford Jeep (with underfloor tulsa winch)
    1945 Willys Jeep (with V8 flathead Engine) And overdrive.
    Packard Staff car. (WW11. General Pattern Tribute).
    Ural Military Motorcycle.
    Ex Army Hyster 4 ton Fork lift.
    Onan 7.5 kw ex army generator.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dmetalmiki For This Useful Post:

goodwithwood35 (06-23-2016)

Thanks

I will be building this setup for an oil furnace I'll be using to heat the shop. So I'll take some pics As to my work

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Its Just How I Roll!

Thanks

@peashooter
    I realize this is an older post that I am refreshing. How has this setup worked for you? Size/range pressure gauges did you buy, and what pressure do you run the filtering at?

Its Just How I Roll!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Special T View Post
    @peashooter
    I realize this is an older post that I am refreshing. How has this setup worked for you? Size/range pressure gauges did you buy, and what pressure do you run the filtering at?

The setup has worked really well other than me overfilling it once. I like the simplicity of pressurizing the tank to make the fluid move through the filters rather than an electric pump. The gauges i have on it are 30psi. The regulator to pressurize the tank is set at somewhere between 7-10psi so I could have gone with 15psi gauges. The only thing i would do differently is to add a breather valve between the clear outlet hose at the bottom of the tank and the first filter. That should let the outlet hose work as a fluid level sight glass again. I had thought the way i did it would work but once the filters filled up with oil then there is no way to tell the fluid level anymore.
    '88 AF M109A3 W/W CAMPER
    '04 M105A2 Trailer W/CBC

Thanks

Picked up some of the parts today had to wait on another filter base. I went with a more common base 1"x12 pitch. 12 micron waters separator filter and a 2 micron secondary got about $180in parts and bought the tank new at harbor freight last week... unfortunately I forgot they are opening a new store in Mt Vernon WA next week....

The one tricky thing for me was the bottom drain was metric so it took tome looking to find the right elbow.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...6db692431f.jpg

Its Just How I Roll!

Thanks

The problems with WMO are: ultra-fine carbon particles, which are sub-micron in size; and dissolved carbon, either of which can turn into coke on the injectors.

Centrifuging will remove the sub-micron particles. Running a trubocharger will improve combustion, which will prevent coking of your injectors, rings and valves. And/or fractionation will remove both suspended sub-micron carbon particles, as well as, dissolved carbon.
    1969 M756A2 running on WVO plus gasoline

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast