• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No wonder my V would drift from side to side while driving.....

Austringer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ever since I started driving the V, I had an issue with it wanting to drift from one side to the other while driving. It was a bit of a pain to keep her going straight down the road. Originally, I thought it was the old warn out original tires so I put a set of NOS ones I had on it. Still wanted to drift... Thought it might be a loose or worn out tie rod, checked all of them and they are fine. Thought the drag link might of been loose, nope. I tightened up the steering box, without success in elimiating the annoying habit of it to drift from one side to the other. Today, I checked something that I had been meaning to check for a few weeks but did not have the time. I checked the toe-in of the wheels.

To center the wheels, and find the point where I needed to measure on both the front and rear side of the wheel, I used the string method. I tied a string to the front axle, ran it around to the front of the wheel then back to the rear wheel and tied it on the rear axle. I alined the string so that it was dead center across the front and rear hub. This let me know where to measure also let me know if the wheels were positioned straight ahead by checking several points to make sure clearances were the same on both sides, thus informing me that the wheels were pointed straight ahead. Once pointed straight ahead, I measured the distance between the front and rear of the tires from center line to center line. I instantly knew why the V was always drifting and hard to keep in a straight line. The wheels had a TOE-OUT of almost 1.5". The correct setting is toe-in of .25 to .5. I loosed the tie rod at both ends and turned it so it pushed the tie rod ends out. Had to measure a few times until I finally had it at 3/8 toe-in. Now it should drive and track 10000% better.

Make sure you set the toe-in correct or you'll be drifting all over the lanes when driving. Going to take her out tomorrow for a quick test run down to the local Mexican/Korean fusion taco place for lunch.

Jason

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks