• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Paramount water truck

DavidWymore

I cranked it up three revolutions from 3 threads showing to 7 like my other pump, which was still safety wired, and it starts like boom after one or two cranks, sounds smoother and healthier at idle, and smokes like it should when I rev it. Didn't have time to drive it yet, but I think we may have a winner. Thing was STARVED for fuel.

image.jpg

DavidWymore

Repaired the muffler and reinstalled it, took it for a drive. Much better, feels like my LDS before the boost kicks in. Can actually accelerate in 5th. Leaves a nice constant, fat, trail of smoke. Might back it off a bit. Sounded a bit different after a run down the street, think I need to adjust the valves, can hear them ticking.

DavidWymore

Well, apparently she doesn't like makin' power. Valves started ticking, causing a little chug at idle, no biggie.

On dry start, the engine sounds kinda "clattery" 'til the oil pressure comes up (it comes up to 60 psi cold at idle I think) and then when it gets warmed up, and the pressure goes down, presumably because the oil thins, the clatter comes back. Maybe just valves...

Also started weeping water from the passenger rear head gasket tab. Phooey.

What you describe as valves ticking and chug at idle is how I would describe mine running when the injectors are dripping. (need rebuilt).
If you don't have one you can build a pop tester out of a porta power pump and a presser gauge. I find that if I disassemble the tip and rinse it out with brake clean mine usually go back to normal. I run 100% waist oil so it might not work for you. Not saying that this is your problem, just something to check.

DavidWymore

I will test injectors eventually, but I can hear the pushrods clattering, which was what my '62 was doing, valves were very loose, and adjusting them made a huge improvement. Three of the exhaust valves were very loose.

Should I not run it until I get the HG situation fixed? Or is a little water weep to the outside not a big deal on these engines? It will only be puttering around the yard anyway. It ocurred to me that if I have compression leak, it could be causing the chug.

DavidWymore

Haven't been running it, but last time I did, oil pressure only came up to 20psi. Was like 60 I think. Time to have a look (when I get a chance). Thoughts/ideas? I've never changed any filters/oil, and not sure if I should or start taking things apart to see what the deal is.

DavidWymore

Haven't been running it, but last time I did, oil pressure only came up to 20psi. Was like 60 I think. Time to have a look (when I get a chance). Thoughts/ideas? I've never changed any filters/oil, and not sure if I should or start taking things apart to see what the deal is.

Haven't ran it all summer, needed to move it, started up, boom 60 psi oil, yes!

DavidWymore

Been working on the big dodge, pulled out a stuck semi with it yesterday. Picked up an M1008 that I'll probably be selling along with some of my brother's partial 1008s. Got a bunch more work to do on the dodge and the burb and sell the burb, and the sand rail needs a lot of little stuff too. I almost got the brakes and wheel bearings done on the M35A1, gotta finish those and then airpack, master cylinder, and lines...

Last edited:

fasttruck

As post 10: its a 5ton note 10 lug wheels. Also converted to straight air brakes from the looks of the brake pedal. The Army converted some 809 series trucks to wedge airbrakes ala a 923 but I guess the program was cancelled with the introduction of the 900 trucks built with wedge brakes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks