• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Paramount water truck

DavidWymore

Pics above, best I can tell, 60mph

standard H pattern, not the odd 3-4 OD pattern. But I wont know for sure til I look at the tag or drive it

DavidWymore

If it is the 3052, can I add the taller OD gear to it? Or the 5th from my 3053? Or are they completely different?

Also, I thought I read somewhere the 3052 had closer ratios and was better for lower speed control. thanks!

DavidWymore

Engine is not installed properly, couldn't get at the shutoff rod with what I had. Took other precautions and crossed fingers, vroom, drove it out of the barn back there outside the gate to where I can tinker on it more after work today when it's not so hot. Didn't make any air pressure on the gauge while it ran for a few minutes, so I don't know if I have brakes yet. Couldn't run it long as it's about out of fuel and that was the only thing I forgot to bring. Not sure if I'm gonna try and drive it home or trailer it.

P2000 01.jpgimage.jpgP2000 IP.jpg

Last edited:

DavidWymore

"Interesting" is a nice way to put it. The front edge of the timing cover has been hitting the steering box intermittently. Front "crossmember" looks to be some cheesy light weight angle iron. It was in daily operation until 3 years ago, and the foreman there isn't the shoddy type, so it's probably not too terrible. I find it and other oddball and unusual stuff interesting. Getting used fro a civvy water truck is better than going to scrap to get turned into more disposable junk cars.

I won't know what I'm doing with it until I get it here and play with it some more and see what kind of condition it's in. I've had very little time or light to look it over, always in a big hurry on lunch break and it's covered in dirt and cobwebs. It might be our "new" shop yard water truck.

I might be able to get my hands on some deuce front sheetmetal...

I did find some traces of green, not that it matters a lot, just will be fun to figure out what's what. I'm sure you noticed the trans tag is 3053A, falls out of third pretty bad, and doesn't want to go back in, only drove it across the road.

They had previously scrapped out 2 or three more and still have the 'glass cabs and tilt front ends. Think I should grab them (resell?) if they'll let me?

DavidWymore

Got it home. Had an air leak, fixed that, wouldn't move. Air parking brake was stuck on, killed the supply hose to it with vice grips once I figured it out. Topped off the fluids and went. Best it will do is about 45 at 2k RPM, and it takes a long time to get there. Filters hopefully. Probably took an hour to go 30 miles.

Good thing it was in the dark, and only 80-something, because that cab is hot. The 'glass fenders cover the vents, the windshields don't flip out, and there's a 4" hole in the firewall to the hot engine compartment.

Front axle is poofed, pass side puking lots of gear oil (boots trashed of course), front drive shaft drive flange/pinion free spins by hand.

But it's a deuce(Kinda), and it starts and stops!

Jeepsinker

Yeah the filters are plugged, and remember these injector pumps really need an electric lift pump to supply them, so if that round tank has no lift pump in it and there isn't another frame mounted one somewhere that is a problem. Get a picture of the air park brake assembly for me would you? Is it transfer case mounted like the original cable actuated one?

DavidWymore

It has some kind of elec pump on the firewall where the air cleaner would be.

The brakes...air comes to the brake pedal which is an air switch and parking brake pushpull knob on the dash like a semi. They both feed into a line going to two air pots that actuate two master cylinders. The pushpull valve was leaking pressure into the actuator line and locking up the brakes, as well as leaking out or the back of it, so I pinched off its supply line.

Unfortunately, the original parking brake shoes, etc. are MIA.

Gonna head out there and check it out more, pics in a while.

OD_Coyote

I am glad you got it home.
Front axle is poofed, pass side puking lots of gear oil (boots trashed of course), front drive shaft drive flange/pinion free spins by hand.
But it's a deuce(Kinda), and it starts and stops!
The front axle on my M47 is leaking from the exact same place and input flange on the front axle spins by hand as well....Another thing on the project list.

DavidWymore

Threw out the bathroom carpet, rubber floor mats, onions, beer cans, whittled forked sticks with duct tape handles of unknown purpose, fishing stick, and other miscellaneous flotsam and jetsam.
Shop vac for all the allergens that were killing me, dust, hay, cat hair, etc.

Cab is rough, rusty but painted over. Muffler is busted, sounded horrible, like one big exhast leak, thought it might be plugged up, so I ripped it off. Now it exits by the step, ungodly loud, har har. Loudest, slowest, ugliest deuce around.

Kinda do and kinda don't like the brake system. Like the dual circuit, serviceability, accessibility, but if you lose air, you're toast, unlike "real" air brakes. At least the original deuce style airpack system has "manual backup".

High pressure fuel pump isn't hooked up, forehead smack.

"Here, lets just set the engine on the steering box."
IMG_8737.jpg
Sprag Tcase, no front drive shaft.
IMG_8742.jpg
The little flange is just loose hanging out of the steering box, also can see orig riveted motor mount on frame.
IMG_8746.jpg
Fuel pump, pressure regulator, irrigation pipe starter cover. :-D
IMG_8740.jpg
Broken Muffler
IMG_8736.jpg
"Plumbing" The larger line on the left actuates the airpots from the brake pedal, wires coming out are brake lights signal, small pushlock line coming in is from the parking brake. Line just below and to the right supplies the brake pedal.
IMG_8738.jpg
IMG_8747.jpg
IMG_8745.jpg

Might run better with the high pressure pump hooked up and working...
IMG_8743.jpg

Parking brake kill, it's supplied off the "tree" on the inside of the firewall. You can also see the hole in the firewall that tried to cook me.

IMG_8754.jpg

Fishin' stick!

IMG_8752.jpg
The rod in front of the driver's seat goes down through the open master cylinder access to control the PTO for the water pump
IMG_8751.jpg
This is inside the front of the frame, the angle iron at the bottom is the front "engine crossmember".

IMG_8750.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks