• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Paramount water truck

DavidWymore

Was wondering how much pressure little aftermarket electric pump put out. Stuck a pressure gauge in the second bleeder port on the filter bracket, 10 psi. High pressure/booster pump is bypassed, just hanging off the side of the IP open. I put my finger over the ports of it with the engine running and might have felt a little vacuum on one port. I should probably pull it off and clean and reseal it, maybe lift the engine and put it where it belongs at the same time. Also gotta scrounge up lines and fittings that are MIA.

Jeepsinker

Surprised the truck moved at all with 10 psi of fuel supply. I wouldn't run it anymore until you get the high pressure boost pump fixed. You will destroy the HH for sure that way.

Jeepsinker

My engine test stands are cut just behind the transmission output shaft. There is a crossmember there that keeps it all together with or without an engine installed.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
As much as I hate to say it, its a PERFECT project truck. I have always wanted to build a bobber or a buggy from a deuce platform, but can't bring myself to F-up a good truck. I think if you could move everything that hangs down under the frame up in the bed, you'd have one heck of a rig!

I'd love to find a truck like that here.

rustystud

Surprised the truck moved at all with 10 psi of fuel supply. I wouldn't run it anymore until you get the high pressure boost pump fixed. You will destroy the HH for sure that way.
No kidding Garret (jeepsinker) ! 10psi is nothing ! When you consider 30psi to 40psi is normal idle pressure ! That poor "Hydraulic Head" was getting no lubrication !

rustystud

You like torchin up deuces, don't ya? ;-)

This one is stayin' together at least as an engine test cradle for the time being.

If there's one thing I really don't like about deuces, it's dogbones. If I'm gonna pay money to buy new ends and change them all out, I'd just as soon buy the good ball and socket ends, but they aren't cheap when you gotta buy 12. I'm afraid rubber won't last very long in this desert...then again, some of the ones on this truck don't even have cracks in the rubber. Need to prybar test them.

Which, reminds me...an old milsurp guy that used to supply parts to all the farmers, etc. that used to run milsurp trucks around here told me that if you drop your bumpstops 3" with metal block/spacers, the dogbones don't get stressed as much and last longer.
I have never been a fan of rubber dogbones either. All the modern suspensions have them though. Of course none of them articulate as much as a deuce does . If I had enough money I'd replace them all with the new style ones "Eriks" sells. At $90.00 each though I would have to win the Lottery before I could buy them ! To bad no one makes one like the Germans had in there MAN busses. They called it the "million mile" bushing. It was over 8" across and allowed articulation of the "trailer" end of the 60ft buss. I never saw one ever replaced in all my years at the transit agency. It was rubber with a bronze bushing . I believe the bronze bushing rode on the shaft (about 2" diameter) and the rubber surrounding the bushing allowed twisting motions up to 30 degrees left or right. If I had a machine shop I would see if I could come up with a dogbone bushing that was made of "bronze" and rode on the pin and was surrounded with "polyethylene" to allow twisting. With a greasable fitting I believe such a creation would last a lifetime !

Jeepsinker

That would be cool. No reason the new ones from Erik's shouldn't last a very long time though, especially as little as most people drive their deuces. Just remember to grease them.

DavidWymore

Seat of the pants, 10psi isn't much pressure but it's still flow. I doubt the HH will burn up, unless run super high RPM. It'll probably wear slowly, which it may have already. Anyway, I'll get it fixed.

This truck will probably stay together indefinitely. I hate taking things apart and having crap laying around everywhere that I have to move with a forklift, and having to try to figure out how to seal disassembled things up. The sun here kills anything you might use to seal stuff up. Gotta do something with those spare axles and parts...

Rob, you're right, it is a good project base. I'm already wondering what kind of turbo might be best on it since the intake and exhaust aren't stock anyway. Maybe something newer and more efficient that spools quicker. I might build my stumpy stripped down 6x6 truck idea out of this one...unless you wanna buy it! ;-)

Frame Breaks.jpg

deuce1.jpg

rusty, great minds thing alike. I have a machine shop and plans or a rough idea of how to turn my dogbone ends into "johnny joints".

IMG_8329.jpg

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/johnnyjoints.aspx

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Thanks, but I want one here in Ohio! I welcome you to drive it out here though.

I just looked, seems according to google you are about 3.5 hrs from LA. My sister lives out there and if I ever have to visit her, I'd like to meet some members out that way. We have some other members in Joshua tree, maybe we could all meet there. I have no plans to head west right now, but if I do, I'll make sure to get a meet n greet scheduled.

DavidWymore

That would be cool!

We are few and far between out here. I am isolated by 3 hours...we have a group going on facebook with a handful of member and are planning a mini rally in the mountains this summer.

rustystud

Seat of the pants, 10psi isn't much pressure but it's still flow. I doubt the HH will burn up, unless run super high RPM. It'll probably wear slowly, which it may have already. Anyway, I'll get it fixed.

This truck will probably stay together indefinitely. I hate taking things apart and having crap laying around everywhere that I have to move with a forklift, and having to try to figure out how to seal disassembled things up. The sun here kills anything you might use to seal stuff up. Gotta do something with those spare axles and parts...

Rob, you're right, it is a good project base. I'm already wondering what kind of turbo might be best on it since the intake and exhaust aren't stock anyway. Maybe something newer and more efficient that spools quicker. I might build my stumpy stripped down 6x6 truck idea out of this one...unless you wanna buy it! ;-)

View attachment 558253

View attachment 558257

rusty, great minds thing alike. I have a machine shop and plans or a rough idea of how to turn my dogbone ends into "johnny joints".

View attachment 558254

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/johnnyjoints.aspx
\

Now that would be great !

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If there's one thing I really don't like about deuces, it's dogbones. If I'm gonna pay money to buy new ends and change them all out, I'd just as soon buy the good ball and socket ends, but they aren't cheap when you gotta buy 12. I'm afraid rubber won't last very long in this desert...then again, some of the ones on this truck don't even have cracks in the rubber. Need to prybar test them.
I replaced all 12 of mine with the rubber ball joints, and WOW what a difference! I've since taken my Deuce off-road on some washed-out, rocky desert trails, and the articulation has to be felt to be believed...not to mention it didn't have near the jolt while rock-crawling like my 4x4 trucks do. The articulation is quite impressive. Erik's new metal ball-and-socket joints came out after I replaced all 12 of mine, naturally, but those seem to be the perfect ticket for your climate.

Once you repair everything, throw some ballast for weight on the back & install an external rollcage for the cab...then hit some washed-out trails and enjoy!!

DavidWymore

Very interesting, I wonder if there is a felt difference between the rubber and solid ends. Also, if they make a difference in traction hop. I would think the solid ends would hop less.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks