• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1101 recovery

04mustang

Hello everyone. I just bought 2 m1101 trailers from ft. Bragg on the sale yesterday. I am planning to bring them,both home at the same time. I would like to put them on my Kaufman car trailer, but I can put them on a larger flat bed heavy equipment hauler if they won't fit.
My question is, and yes I've looked up the deminsions of the m1101 already, will a m1101s wheels fit between the wheel wells on my car trailer? The deck width of the car trailer is 82". The posted specifications of the m1101 is 85" overall width. Which would mean I'm 3" too narrow.
Is the wheel width on the m1101 actually 85" or could it be narrower? Have any of you hauled at trailer using this method before?
Thank you,
Corey

mikey

The wheels are not flush with the outside of the body, but I can't tell you definitively that they would be less than 85", although I believe they would be. I can measure for you and get back to you tomorrow if that helps.

IMG_2097.jpg

Mikey

04mustang

My issues with stacking is that Thais location doesn't have loading assists. The trailers also have tops, well one does but the other has the spades installed for the top.

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Track width is 72.5 inches which is measured to the center of the rim and it sits on 12.50" wide tires so that should make it 85" wide to the outside of the tires. I would think a set of skinnier tires on eight lug rims would probably get the width down under 82 inches though. Beg, borrow or steal a set of 235/80/16s to swap onto one of the M1101s and pull that one forward then put the other one's axle behind the fenders and I would think you would be golden.

Last edited:

04mustang

Well that stinks.
I think my dad and I will just drive 2 trucks to pick them up. Its about 45 mins one way to Bragg from my place, so it's not too far.
Thanks to all of you for helping. I'll post photos after we bring them home.

04mustang

Does anyone know if I can pull a m1101 with a m35a2? My thoughts were to flip the Lynette over to the taller position and connect everything up as normal for a m105 series. But I'm not sure if it will work or not.

FloridaAKM

You should be able to do it both ways, but flipping the lunette ring will make it ride more level. I have not tried pulling any of my M-1102's with the Deuce, just the M-105a2. Be advised that the surge brake on the M-1102/1101 will not work after you flip the lunette ring! As you know, the M-1102/1101 has no air brakes either, the brakes on the Deuce should be able to stop the empty M-1102/1101 with no problems. Good luck on your recovery!

KansasBobcat

I concur with the 2 trucks idea. Many of these trailers are almost new. It seems a shame to scratch or damage them..Sometimes removing the top brackets can be challenging if the bolts are rusted and the rivnuts begin to turn.

FloridaAKM

All three of the ones I recovered were as new as far as condition of them showed. One even had a cd behind the landing leg base that contained the TM's from the factory. They were all towed home behind my Toyota Tacoma 4WD due to the distance from home. Two from Atlanta, Ga & one from Ft Stewart near Savannah, Ga. Good luck with your recovery & spin check your tires with a jack before you go, don't forget to check the axle temps after 10 miles & along the way to make sure they are cool, not hot!

Plane Fast

Check the lug nuts as well. I've recovered 9 m1102's, four of them had loose lug nuts. Two of them had little to no grease. They all were almost new. Also don't forget the magnetic temp. brake lights will not stick!:)

Oh and the safety chains will be too short without an extension.

Last edited:

FloridaAKM

The magnetic brake lights won't stick to the aluminum tub, but they will stick to the landing leg stubs in the rear under the rear red reflectors. Either tie wrap or tape them for safety to keep from losing one or both on a bad jolt, this also allows you to drop the tailgate to have better rearward view. The rear tiedowns also will stick the temp mag brake lights, but you can't drop the tailgate because the lights are now in the way!
Check the lug nuts as well. I've recovered 9 m1102's, four of them had loose lug nuts. Two of them had little to no grease. They all were almost new. Also don't forget the magnetic temp. brake lights will not stick!:)

maxtor

There are 3/8 threaded holes on the back of the M1101 trailers. I took two 1/4 inch thick by 4x6 inches of plate steel, drilled a 3/8 hole in each, and two 3/8 short bolts and bolted the metal to the trailer. The magnetic tail light worked fine on the mounted steel plates.

04mustang

So we had a successful recovery of both trailers. We arrived at Bragg at 8:15 and were finally greeted by a iron plant employee to let us in at 10:15. We had a appointment set up already but apparently the national office doesn't talk to the different bases. We had to go through the provost Marshall office and through a gov liquidation guy, talk about a awkward phone call.
But we had a good recovery other than the altinator going out on my deuce so we lost all electrical, lights, gauges all of it. I was driving mostly blind.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks