• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front axle leak ?

1951M1078

So I'm looking at non-running M1079's . Will need to flat-tow it about 1000 miles. Here is a photo of one but it has a leaking seal. Is this something that will need to be repaired before a tow ? Can it be done in the field ?

Was thinking that jacking the truck up at all wheels and giving them a spin . Check all hub and diff fluids. Other ideas ?
Thanks,Randy

Attachments

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think it would be practical to replace that seal in the field before you tow it. I'm not a mechanic (disclaimer), but I'd say you could rotate the wheel to where the fill plug on the hub is at the top, check the hub fluid level. If the fluid is low or empty then maybe it leaks fast. If there is plenty of fluid in it, then maybe it is a slow leak. You could take plenty of cheap fluid to top it off, tow it a while, and check it again. That should give you an idea of how fast it might be leaking out. Don't forget to remove both drive shafts for towing it long distances. I have to say though, that is a long way to tow one. You might consider putting it on a trailer instead if you have the tow vehicle that can do it...or ship it. Fuel cost alone for towing it will add up.

1951M1078

Thanks,Ox.
People want alot for the trip. With my semi,I can do it for about 1/2 and its a round trip for me. Make you wonder ? One quit I got was $5200 ! I missed out a tow that would have worked out great. One of the guy's here. Kinda hard to ship when I have not won the bid !

Went to the TM for towing instructions .

Randy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks