• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New heater core installed - Summer operation?

joesco

Hello all,
I finally installed my new heater core in my M931. Ended up taking out the entire heater box to remove and replace it. Now that warmer weather is here (finally) I plan to shut the coolant flow to the heater core using the 2 shut-off valves. Is it OK to leave the coolant in the core or flush and drain it out. Or is it wise to open the valves every once in a while to move the coolant inside and out of the heater core.

BTW, lesson learned... When I flushed and replaced the coolant last year, I forgot flush the heater core!

Thanks!

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't shut off my valves in the summer time. I do though have a cable operated valve that is inline (that I installed on my deuce) on the hose that is designed to not completely close. The reason for this is so that the coolant still flows through the core to keep the core in good condition and not have stagnant coolant stay in the core. Also if you shut off both valves, it does not leave any room for expansion and contraction of the coolant in the core during heat cycles. Maybe its the engineer in me talking, but I would only want to shut off (or partially shut off) one of the valves, preferably the one on the return side of the system. Your heater core is under the hood and just closing the damper would probably be enough to keep the heat out. Its up to you though. I prefer a little bit of coolant going through my core even in the summer time though.

If you flushed the coolant before in the truck, were the heater valves open when you did it? Some would still drain out of the core because the core is mounted on the side. So all is not lost.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks