• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alaska to Alabama in Brutus

TB58

Probably out of my mind but hey thats where stories come from.

The end result is I have to be in Alabama on the 24th of June.

I am planning to leave here on or about the 24th of May going down through California to visit family on the way then through the desert states to Lower Alabama. I am planning to go across 10 because I am familiar with it and I believe it will have the fewest mountains to deal with. Depending on the grades I plan to set 50mph as my cruising speed, obviously being slower on grades. This was a pretty comfortable speed on my trip up from Anchorage. Some rough math, if i average 30mph and travel 12 hrs a day it would be a 17 day trip. I figure most days I will be averaging better than that but with some of the passes I will have to deal with that should be conservative estimate. I will have the wife along as a fair weather driver so to speak. She will be able to drive the days that we aren't going through big cities with traffic or any mountain roads.

Some questions:
I-5 and I-10 are major arteries that follow my path, would it be better to avoid these since I will at best be traveling about 20mph under the speed limit?

I will be changing all the fluids, inspecting the brakes, lubing all the lube points, and a general condition look. Is there anything else i should focus on?

As cool as the idea of driving from McDonalds to McDonalds across the country sounds it doesn't seem practical with all the prep required, is #2 Diesel the best fuel? Should I add anything to keep things lubed up and cool?

Anything that those with experience are thinking that I probably overlooked?

Here is a general overview of the route, may change as I get closer or if anyone has better Ideas.

Fort Jonathan Wainwright, Fairbanks, AK to Fort Rucker, Ala - Google Maps

Here is Brutus on a gravel bar on the Knik river

KDB_7433.jpg

Last edited:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TB,WOW,What a trip, it's doable. Add a little Diesel Klean ,or ash less 2 stroke oil, to the fuel. Keep an eye on the rest of the fluids. Take pictures, be safe.
JC

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Not too sure how you will be welcomed in California. They have some strange rules out there concerning older diesel trucks. Maybe some of the locals can chime in. I know there are some big hills out there from when I was a long haul trucker.
The southern routes are easier on the deuce since they are flatter but it's going to be hotter.
The roads in LA and MS are rough as a cobb in some places.
Regular road diesel is fine and as stated put some additives in. A quart of automatic transmission fluid about every third tank will help lubricate the injectors.
If you get up to northern Alabama look me up. Got a spare bunk if you need it and home cooked meals.

Piper Cub

Looks like I'm about 20 miles off of your route in Palmdale, Ca. Staying on the 58 from Bakersfield to Mojave is probably a good idea. It'll be pretty slow going but the other option is going up the Grapevine on 5 which is pretty hard on anything bigger than a Honda. Good luck and have fun on your journey!

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd cut over to Edmonton and Winnipeg and travel south down the plains through St Louis and Jackson MS, then go east to Montgomery and Ft Rucker. You'd save about 1000 miles, 5-6 days, and $1000 in fuel. Once you get to Edmonton, you're out of the mountains and big hills. With the fuel savings, buy plane tickets and fly to CA to visit and stay longer.

Hainebd

This is a trip that could use dash cams to record the trip. Since your truck is a Brutus ( same as mine) I know he will do fine. I am not to sure how you will be after the trip since ears and butt are going to be numb. I hope the co-pilot is truly game. I have done runs this long and after the third day I want to jump out. Anyway, be safe, have fun, stop often, have plenty of fluid in cab cause you will get thirsty and pictures so the rest of us can dream.

SLOrazorsedge

#2 Diesel in Calif just jumped from $3.19 to $3.59 nearly overnight. Tank up before you enter the "peoples republic of" brother. Also, a little 'Huhra" coming from Ft. Wainwright, I was rifted there during the Viet Nam war and served as a 64C30 heavy truck driver 1970-72.

TB58

scar59 - thanks for the tips, the wife will have the camera ready for the trip.

wreckerman893 - thanks for the tips on additives. I will look into their laws on transient diesels. I know my family goes through some annoying hoops to register normal diesel trucks there. I am not looking forward to the heat, but I think the strain saved on Brutus will be worth the sweat.

Piper cub - I didn't think about going down 58. Slow is much better than burning something up trying to go over the grapevine.

98G - I will keep that in mind, I appreciate the offer.

Trailboss - That would certainly be the smart thing to do. I had thought about doing that at first but going the long expensive route appeals more to me than back tracking even if it is by air.

Hainebd - Hadn't thought of using a dash cam, I have a helmet cam that might work for that. Ill have to see about mounting it. The seats have been swapped for ones out of a chevy so far more comfortable than the issue seats. She swears she is looking forward to this trip as much as I am.

SLOrazorsedge - For some reason that doesn't surprise me. I wonder if they will try to tax me for the water in my holding tank? I am going to miss this place when I leave, will be doing everything I can to get sent back.

EO2NMCB

If you have driven thru BC and Yukon, disregard. At the AK Yukon boarder there is a fuel stop in AK will be the cheapest fuel till you make WA. Teslin Yukon is going the be the cheapest fuel on you route in Canada. Most fuel stops on your trip are only open 8am to 6, 7 or 8pm so plan accordingly. BC is the highest fuel prices in all of Canada. Take tools and parts as it is 300-500 miles between shops for major repairs. Have a good and safe trip.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't tell form your map, but go down Hwy 37 , turning off the ALCAN just before Watson Lake. The road is your speed, and very few hills, saving about 150 miles before you get to Prince Georg, BC. There are long stretches on it, so be fueled up, every chance you get.

TB58

I did the ride in my subaru on the way up. You are right the fuel prices through there are rediculous and a lot of country where you might not see any one for quite a while

moosebgy

Hitting I-5 is the way to go for making time. Don't think about HWY 101 if you want to make time, too many RV's doing about 20mph and winding road. Beautiful drive if you have the time. Check you maps for the I-205 bypass around Portland, well worth missing driving through downtown there. Also quite a few nice rest stops all along I-5.

Csm Davis

OK definitely dodge the grapevine on 5 for that mater all of California, the last guy that I know that took that route going north didn't make it with his vehicle in one piece, got run over on the freeway. I would also drop on down to 10 instead of running 20 across.

TB58

Rosco - good idea on hwy 37. Ill add that to my plan.

Moosebgy - 101 is a beautiful drive but you are right, way too slow. I5 is my primary route. I had thought of maybe going down 97 from washingiton down into california. Not familiar with that hwy, not sure how steep and windy it gets when crossing the mountians.

EO2NMCB

Couple of small pulls on US97 in WA and CA nothing to write home about, good road I82 down to I5. However there are three hard pulls on I82 between I90 and US97. Run this way all the time at 80k.

Last edited:

elkhtr

If you decide to go I-5 through WA I am about 1.5 hours south of the border. Can offer help if you need it. 15 minutes off the freeway.

m109a2

Hello and welcome TB58 to this site.One of the the first things you need to do is the members map.checK it out.And plan well, I am listed as having a tow bar ,a slave cable.And what ever you need. LIKE other members, WE WILL HELP YOU.Do this before you leave The only thing I have to say has not already been said,Is would change my oil, filters and fuel filters before departure. and carry replacements,check every thing carry oil change plus at least 10 gallons of oil to start.I flew up to North Caralina and bought my my rig from a very respected ss member and drove it a over thousand miles south did not have any problems till I got near baton rouge then I noticed I had a half inch gap on the forward outsite tire bead did I pull over no did I drive to truck stop.Yes .That is when I made my mind up.No bob here Am keeping ten tires

Blackbear

Long time member sent me this awhile back, it helped and got me thinking, you probably have all this taken care of but it may remind you of something else.

1. bring plenty of water?
2. Have you pre-inspected it if so?
3. Do you have a backup plan in case of a failure? (Plotting a course and posting up here will probably net you a list of people willing to help along the course)
4. Have you read the operators TM?
5. Do you have insurance/tag/registration for it?
6. Have you checked state laws regarding weight stations?
7. Is the truck stock on 9.00s? If so, expect to cruise at 50mph or slower.
8. Are you planning on taking highway or backroads?
9. Do you have ear plugs?
10. Do you have cash or a credit card in case you need parts/roadside assistance/towing?
11. Are you planning on 6-8mpg for fuel consumption?
12. Does it have a spare tire?
13. Do you have a set of sockets/ratchet, pliers, exc. hand tools to carry along?
14. Do you have DOT 5 (not 5.1) brake fluid?
15. Are you planning on carrying spare fluids? (Gear oil, engine oil)
16. Carrying silicone as well?
17. Electrical tape?
18. Wire?
19. Bulbs? (Remember, these are 24v bulbs, so you can't drop into an auto zone to get them)
20. Filters?
21. Budd wheel stud socket?
22. Glad hand to air hose adapter?
23. Flares/first aid kit?
24. Water?
25. Phone/GPS/ability to charge it?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks