• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alaska to Alabama in Brutus

Jared

I'm a contractor. We have a system on all Army aircraft in theater and needed to do some special data collection in the area of operations. So we put some additional equipment in a Blackhawk and flew all around OIF early 2008. Flew out of Balad. It was a great assignment - I really enjoyed every part of it. Got to fly over with all our equipment on a C-17 then back on a C-5.

Terrh

Hope your trip is going well today! I have enjoyed reading this thread so far, it reminds me a lot of my first road trip across canada in a chevette. First alternator issues, then transmission. Ended up swapping it in a parking lot in winnipeg. Did I mention I had never worked on cars before when this happened? It got me hooked.

if you've got the ability to take some pictures, I'm sure we'd all love some! Even if it's just your rig sitting at a truck stop or whatever.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
it reminds me a lot of my first road trip across canada in a chevette.
I had an 86 "Shovette". My kids called it that because they had to push start it often due to the idiotic placement of the starter (I finally replaced it when they absolutely refused to ride in it with me until I did). It was a great little car but it was designed by a group of idiots after consulting a moron.

AZK9

Hope the open road has been good to you since your 'repair' experience.

If possible... let us know how you're doing and where you are along your route.

Safe travels! :D

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like you are back on the road. Great news! I'm in Nor. Cal., just West of Sacramento. I can help if you have any issues.

TB58

Jared - I spent a lot of time at Balad crewing Blackhawks. I am pretty sure I was home for most of '08 so doubt we crossed paths.

Terrh - sounds quite familiar. That is a crazy intro to working in cars. Pretty impressive that you were able and willing to jump in and tackle that job.

Made it to my families place in California yesterday. The transmission is pouring fluid and the transfer case is running at a little over 200 deg. Due to my time constraints I will be continuing to Alabama in another vehicle. While I am in my course in Alabama I will be sourcing parts to get Brutus back on the road. August I will come back with all the parts, put him back together and finnish this trip, though this time my destination will be North Carolina. Not happy with having to leave Brutus but dont really have too many options at this point. My family has a shop, tools and space for me to do the work I need to. Much better than doing temp fixes and getting stuck on the road again.

Thank you all for the support. The journey isnt over yet, just on hold for now.

AZK9

... My family has a shop, tools and space for me to do the work I need to. Much better than doing temp fixes and getting stuck on the road again. ...
Sounds like a wise plan at this point in your journey. Nice that you've
got a good safe place to leave Brutus.

Good luck and if possible... let us know when the trip resumes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks