• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alaska to Alabama in Brutus

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Seems like you have some time to make the trip which is good. I've done half that distance in my deuce. I got on the road and stayed on it like a road warrior. By the end of the 4th day I was shot. I've done a couple of 1500 mile trips and the last one finally told me I'm getting too old and that's why I decided to start selling everything.

Really don't have much to add to what's already been posted. Check the torque on your lug nuts and have that handy for the trip. Prep H. Motrin. Have ice chest that will fit in the cab. Going to be a heck of a trip.

smurph

I know you will miss AK, but Dale County isn't bad as far as destinations go. I grew up down there in LA (Lower Alabama). Dothan to be exact, so I may be a bit biased. Say goodbye to snow and hello to humidity.

Have a safe trip!

TB58

EO2NMCB - I think well do us97. Always Nice to run a new road and if there are only three real climbs it sounds good.

elkhtr - We will be running down I-5 until Bellevue then crossing over to US97. We'll be passing right by your place.

m109a2 - I was looking at the map the other day good resources on there. I hadn't thought of bringing that much oil, with the open expanses of Canada and the heat of the south west that is probably a very good idea.

Blackbear - thanks for the checklist, I will be printing that out.

CARNAC - Ive done a few coast to coast cannonball runs in my old Ranger. It was fun when I was younger. Will definitely have a cooler with drinks in the cab, It is going to be a warm ride.

smurph - You are right, it isn't too bad a place (other than the humidity). I spent quite a while down there for flight school. I will only be there for about a month and a half before heading to Bragg.

m109a2

Wow over 5 thousand miles in a deuce that`s got to be a record.A keyed battery switch and locking door handels gave me peace of mind while sleeping in motels.Got and pics of Brutus living quarters?

123mack

It's not a record. When the MVPA had their Alaska Highway convoy a few years ago, some of our members as well ad others from FL and AL participated and drove all the way up there and back. All were in 2.5 and 5 tons except for one M37. The round trip was 12,000 miles total , give or take.

icecreamman

Wow, I can't even get my arms around this trip driving a Buick Roadmaster?

Is your fdc disabled? A lot of the big truck stop companies are running 20% bio now. "summer blend".

Csm Davis

TB58 I have a pair of buds up your way that might give you some good pointers as they have made the trip. Denali fox on here is one don't know if he is still on here but I have phone number for both guys.

TB58

I have the master switch keyed and locks on the doors. Would be a heck of a way to wake up when your bed starts driving away. I will take a few pictures in the coming days, my wife got a new sewing machine a few weeks ago so there are curtains and such going in.

When I come back up here I may try and run the ALCAN in its entirety, I have heard it is a beautiful drive.

I havent checked if the FDC is bypassed. Will the summer blend cause issues with it if it is still in the loop? One of the many things I need to read up on more.

Treadlite PM'd me and and have been talking to him. First hand Knowledge is a wonderful thing to have. Tried to PM you but your box is full, if you are ok with it I would like to get their info from you. Would be nice to be able to pick their brain.

Last edited:

icecreamman

I've been running wvo blends and straight wvo in Benzs and a 7.3psd for years. My first deuce had the fdc bypassed. With a practically empty tank, I added five gallons of 20% wvo/80%#2 diesel to the tank. You could practically feel it when the blend hit the engine. Idle dropped off so quick it almost died. I used the fast idle and adjusted it to idle. My governor controlled 55mph truck turned into a 50mph truck. I ran it about 30 miles and topped it off with 10 gallons of #2 and everything went back to normal after a few minutes. I had fresh filters. It was about 70f.

This is the exact blend I have run in 190d's down to 20f and my psd down to 32f.

Most of the time(at least here), only the large truck stops run blends.

He runs what he hauls and claims he goes from averaging 5mpg on #2 and 4mpg on their 20% blend.

m109a2

THE GMC M135 Truck Cargo 2 and a half ton 6/6 was was produced from 1950 to 1955 by GMC truck division of general motors,In Pontiac Mi.It was the cousin to the GMC M211 2/half ton 6x6 but can be distinguished by the single rear wheels on the the M135{vs duel wheels on the M211}and the wheel wells on the cargo body of the M135{vs flat body on the M211 which has the cargo body mounted higher.

Keith_J

I have the master switch keyed and locks on the doors. Would be a heck of a way to wake up when your bed starts driving away. I will take a few pictures in the coming days, my wife got a new sewing machine a few weeks ago so there are curtains and such going in.

When I come back up here I may try and run the ALCAN in its entirety, I have heard it is a beautiful drive.

I havent checked if the FDC is bypassed. Will the summer blend cause issues with it if it is still in the loop? One of the many things I need to read up on more.

Treadlite PM'd me and and have been talking to him. First hand Knowledge is a wonderful thing to have. Tried to PM you but your box is full, if you are ok with it I would like to get their info from you. Would be nice to be able to pick their brain.
The engine will be fine with or without the FDC on any diesel. The fuels the engine was designed for are diesel, kerosene, jet fuels and mogas. Listed in order of energy density from highest to lowest, viscosity and density are roughly proportional to energy density. The FDC just lets more mogas than diesel per injection cycle..

Diesel must conform to energy density, density and specific gravity to an ASTM standard. Without a working FDC, there might be slight differences in maximum power output. But it won't damage a thing.

VP17IFT

That's going to be an awesome road trip. If you are coming to Rucker for flight school and go through the Blackhawk or Chinook tracks you will probably see me in Warrior Hall North Bay when you do your simulator time. Good luck on your trip and welcome to Lower Alabama.

61sleepercab

Friends mechanical Cummings would on trip WVa to Iowa with Howells (?) fuel treatment and quart of ATF per 25 gallons would result in 5 mpg increase in fuel mileage with same truck/load/road as regular fuel. We used cheap ATF brand made no difference. Happy Motoring!!!!!!! Mark

DavidWymore

I am down by the 10 in CA. It's gonna be HOT here soon. It is easy cruising from here to TX, do it a couple times a year. I don't recommend it, but if you get down this way, holler, esp. if you get in trouble.

TB58

Blackbear - if all goes well should be through Houston around the 20th of June. We will be leaving Fairbanks some where between the 25th of may and the first of June. All depends on getting my clearing done in time.

Sounds like two quarts of cheep ATF per tank should keep things running smooth. worth the cost if it prevents damage.

VP17IFT - I wish I was coming down for the 47 course. I'm going to the Safety course then on to Bragg. I am supposed to get a 47 transition in 2018, but that far out who knows.

DavidWymore - I am not a huge fan of 10, run it quite a few time too, but I think it will have the easiest passes and fairly direct.

I tried to update by route on google maps but it is being a pain. Ill post up a revised route when I get it to work again. Things will be pretty hectic between now and driving out between clearing post packing up the house, satisfying the rental people and finishing up Brutus (going to start a thread on him in a few minutes).

DavidWymore

I thought of something this morning...drive at night. That's what we do a lot. Cooler, less traffic, and since we have kiddos, they sleep.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks