Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10

Thread: MEP-802/803 fuel return improvements

Private
    Thanks

Last edited by hyderind; 09-29-2019 at 17:59.

Private
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Coug View Post
    Stainless steel and aluminum do NOT play nicely together.
    Causes a galvanic reaction, where one metal causes the other to corrode at a fast rate.
    Antiseize forms a barrier between the two parts to help slow/minimize the corrosion, and allow the parts to be separated again, but it's still not a good idea to mix metals.

Attachment 777886
    Chart taken from this site, which also explains it a little better than I did:https://www.monarchmetal.com/blog/ga...ions-answered/

edit: We like people asking newbie questions or ones they think might be stupid because asking the question ahead of time usually saves a huge amount of time/investment/involvement later on compared to NOT asking the question. Plus, for every person that asks a newbie/stupid question, there are probably a dozen people who were too afraid to ask but would like to know also.
    There are no stupid questions when it comes to trying to learn and understand the how and why of things, but there ARE plenty of stupid mistakes from not asking.
    Hey Coug,

Thanks for your patience! I had read earlier that it was a good idea to also replace the existing bolts .... so I was going to replace the existing bolts with zinc plated bolts something like these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...L8LKX3H3&psc=1

So...my thinking was....it would be zinc bolt on SS rivnut....which should be OK with no evil AL touching. My 803A has not arrived yet....so I'm assuming the frame is steel.

But wait.......

According to your chart....it reads that SS touching carbon steel is bad? Am I reading that right? Since when?

In that case, AL rivnets and Zinc bolts make sense.

BTW, thank you for your newbie comment. With currently knowing very little about generators...except that Kohler Standby Generators are expensive as heck and a 803A is a better choice....SteelSoldiers is making the learning journey fun and exciting!

Best,

Chris
    Last edited by hyderind; 09-29-2019 at 18:08.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to hyderind For This Useful Post:

Guyfang (09-30-2019)

Colonel
    Thanks

Actually, what I was talking about is the sheet metal of the 802/803 is mostly aluminum, so putting rivnuts into the aluminum sheet metal will cause you issues later on, not the difference between the bolts and the rivnuts. You can get away with stainless bolts and aluminum rivnuts because of antiseize and stuff like that, but there's nothing protecting the aluminum from the rivnut, otherwise the rivnut wouldn't install properly.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coug For This Useful Post:

Guyfang (09-30-2019), hyderind (09-30-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,542 Times in 2,673 Posts

Some folks have used riv-nuts, and are happy with them. I have taken many, many of these sets apart, and when reassembling them, always had to get most of the screw/nuts, "kinda" tight. Then maybe push here, pull there to get everything to line up. With Riv-nut, that might not work. What I did was to use about 8-10 punches. Put things together, then shove the punches into some of the holes, to line things up. Then insert the screws and tighten up nuts. Remove the punches, and fill those holes with screws and nuts. Worked for me.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Guyfang For This Useful Post:

hyderind (09-30-2019)

Thanks

Never had an issue with aluminum alloy rivnuts. Aluminum is best to prevent galvanic corrosion. Use aluminum alloy bolts or high quality zinc plated steel to reduce galvanic corrosion. I get mine from a NASCAR supplier in Charlotte NC. I have installed over a thousand in MEP-80X generators. Don't rivnut slots! Like at the front edge of the control panel. You would have to get them perfectly aligned in order to prevent cross threading. I just use all new serrated Hex Flange Screws Flange Bolts with serrated nuts or Nord Lock washers to prevent vibration loosening where nuts are still required. All the old bolts, washers, and nuts go in file 13. You might want to keep a few cage nuts since they often need to be replaced where damaged in the unit.
    When you put the 2 words 'The' and 'IRS' together it spells 'Theirs....'

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hard Head For This Useful Post:

Guyfang (09-30-2019), hyderind (09-30-2019)

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10