• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802/803 fuel return improvements

Bluejoe

The thing about DOT nylon hose is it can run any fuel. Gasoline, diesel, bio-diesel, kerosene, it doesn't matter. My one IHC (gas engine) truck has been running DOT hose for over 35 years now and no problems. We run this hose on all of our busses, have as long as I have been there which is 23 years now. When I worked at IHC trucks in the 1970's all the trucks ran DOT nylon hose. All the semi-trucks I have seen still run this hose. It is an industry standard.
Hello Rusty reading up on fuel line &returns. Like to see some pictures of your work if possible I know it’s been awhile since this post.

majoday

The Fuel Supply Line connected to the 4 injectors has a brass barb on the end. Mine is plugged. There is a number 50 stamped on the barb. I suppose it is a line restrictor of flow. Do any of yoy know the proper diameter of the restrictor, if indeed it is one?

Ray70

This is just a guess, but when I first started working on the 802/803's I didn't realize that barb was a restrictor ( and this one was plugged ) so I stuck a drill bit in there and drilled it out, then realized I had drilled out brass and not garbage.
I used a small bit, probably 1/16" and it removed a little bit of material.... so I have a feeling that "50" marking may mean .050"
BTW, after drilling it out that gen still worked just fine.

majoday

I think I will begin with a very small bit and work my way up. Thank you all for the thoughtful insights. I was hesitant to proceed, but am now confident that I am on the right track.

The Captain

Howdy,
The MEP-8xx series of generator all use diesel fuel return lines. After sometimes sitting with no fuel, or heat cold, no-use etc... they start to fail. The main issue is the lines start weeping fuel.

NSN 4720-01-483-6467 part N20353.5 HOSE,NONMETALLIC

NameValue
CROSS-SECTIONAL SHAPE STYLEROUND
INSIDE DIAMETER3.5 MILLIMETERS NOMINAL
LAYER COMPOSITION AND LOCATIONOUTER LAYER BRAIDED COTTON CORD
INSIDE SURFACE CONDITIONSMOOTH
SPECIAL FEATURESCOMES IN A 20 METER ROLL (66 FT.)
MATERIALRUBBER BUTADIENE-ACRYLONITRILE CLASS NBR TUBE
MEDIA FOR WHICH DESIGNEDFUEL/OIL, HYDROCARBON SINGLE RESPONSE AND WATER SINGLE RESPONSE AND AIR SINGLE RESPONSE

The fuel return line is 3.5mm ID. As you can see by the above posting the details of this line. Some have used other sizes and hose clamps. But purchasing the correct 3.5mm ID fuel hose makes it stay tight on all the hose barbs without issue.

I found the proper product at autoplicity. It is a 3.5mm fuel hose made by CRP CONTITECH. This is a roll which is 5 meters long which will give you enough to replace all your lines and have some in reserve. You can search for below

CRP N203535-5 CONTITECH Diesel Hose
Found the 15' roll on ebay for $42. Thanks for the part number.

kayak1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I left my panel light on the other night, after running the generator for a couple of hours yesterday I went out today to install a battery tender to find that everything is covered in diesel.

My return line is leaking rather badly and the fan is moving it all around.

After I picked up the generator I picked up 10' of 3.5mm line. I started taking the top off today and was able to unplug a section of the line, the shorter one from the side of the block to the 1st tee (the section that was leaking) #10 in the diagram.

Should I think of replacing the T's (#13), if so can you recommend a source?

Do I use a short section of the hose for #5 or is it safe to not touch #5 from the drawing?

Screen Shot 2022-11-09 at 3.41.11 PM.png

I have taken the top off, and suspect that the back will need to get pulled off too to get the return line fully routed.

Thanks in advance.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All of the return lines, including #5, are all the same 3.5MM material (or the upgraded Gates). For the tees, I would chuck and put in new. I've bought them by the sack here: https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=104481

If you want a couple I will send them up your way. And yes, replace every inch of return line when you do the job... or you will just end up doing it again. Also use some small zip ties at all the barb fittings for a slightly more secure long term fitment.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I left my panel light on the other night, after running the generator for a couple of hours yesterday I went out today to install a battery tender to find that everything is covered in diesel.

My return line is leaking rather badly and the fan is moving it all around.

After I picked up the generator I picked up 10' of 3.5mm line. I started taking the top off today and was able to unplug a section of the line, the shorter one from the side of the block to the 1st tee (the section that was leaking) #10 in the diagram.

Should I think of replacing the T's (#13), if so can you recommend a source?

Do I use a short section of the hose for #5 or is it safe to not touch #5 from the drawing?

View attachment 883971

I have taken the top off, and suspect that the back will need to get pulled off too to get the return line fully routed.

Thanks in advance.
Start at the fuel tank!!!

I just did one of my generators. I started at the fuel tank and taped the new hose to the old and pulled the entire length of new hose through the bottom routing path.
Then made the fuel tank connection.

Then just worked my way up and around the engine, zip tied as I went and cutting where needed and zip tied everything.

kayak1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All of the return lines, including #5, are all the same 3.5MM material (or the upgraded Gates). For the tees, I would chuck and put in new. I've bought them by the sack here: https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=104481

If you want a couple I will send them up your way. And yes, replace every inch of return line when you do the job... or you will just end up doing it again. Also use some small zip ties at all the barb fittings for a slightly more secure long term fitment.
If you could send a couple up my way that would be great, I suspect they will arrive a lot quicker than the vendor.
Two of them from the vendor is $1.30 + Est. ground shipping: $17.73.

Glad to send you $ via paypal if you wouldn't mind shipping them. I won't put the top on until I swap them out.

I have replaced section #10 and the 2 #5's.

I can't see the fuel tank end of the long #15 section from the main compartment.

How does one connect the line to the fuel tank without pulling the back panel?

Thanks in advance!

kayak1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all of the help! The new line is in and no longer leaking.

I hooked the back on and will button the top up after I swap the T's out.

I knew that I was going to have to swap the lines out, but kept on kicking the can down the road past the time the work should have been done.

kayak1

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Thanks for the barb fittings, they arrived today. I will swap them out Saturday.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks