• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Safe crane operation

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Most of the guys that buy the military wreckers, buy then because they are cool, or to lift stuff, but have NEVER run a crane before,
So if you think you might need to set the outriggers for a lift, pull the needed ones ALL the way out and set them tight where they are taking the weight of the truck BEFORE you swing over them to pick the load, If you set them loose with the idea that if the truck leans over the outrigger will set up and take the load, WRONG, what happens is as the truck leans over, the load is moving OUT away from the truck, which in affect puts more weight on the boom, causing more lean, things can get bad in a hurry. One of the BAD things about a military wrecker crane is that all functions are powered, there is NO free fall, this means you can NOT get out from a load if you start to go over.

This may sound dumb but MAKE SURE where the out riggerpad is set will take the load, not the load of the truck BUT will support the crane load, once the pick is started or the load is swrung over the side it is to late to find out the ground will not support the load. Either reposition or use support pads under the outrigger pads, a nice 30" x 30" pad, 4" to 6" would be about right. does not do any good to throw rock under the outrigger pad if there is nothing worth a crap under the rock.

When you are doing a pick, boom up just a bit so when you take the load, the boom deflection will put the hook back over the load, if you do not boom up a bit, the boom deflection WILL move the load away from the crane, this can cause broke stuff, smashed fingers, even tip the crane over on right at to edge lifts, the heavier the lift, the more boom up is needed to counter act the boom deflection. No matter how well the truck is set, you will STILL get boom deflection.

Mods THANK YOU

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Being a certified crane operator myself, I've seen some wrecker owners do some crazy stuff. It only good part about it were they were light loads where there was a lot of safety factor (they about used it all up though). I've seen people try to drag stuff sideways with the swing and two block it scoping out without letting off line just to name a few.

The worst is when you are trying to flag a wrecker operator (with proper hand signals) and they just look at you confused or ignore you all together. The least wrecker owners should do is at least learn proper hand signals and pay attention to what your flagman is telling you.

Proper rigging practices and proper rigging equipment is also lacking a lot of times.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Being a certified crane operator myself, I've seen some wrecker owners do some crazy stuff. It only good part about it were they were light loads where there was a lot of safety factor (they about used it all up though). I've seen people try to drag stuff sideways with the swing and two block it scoping out without letting off line just to name a few.

The worst is when you are trying to flag a wrecker operator (with proper hand signals) and they just look at you confused or ignore you all together. The least wrecker owners should do is at least learn proper hand signals and pay attention to what your flagman is telling you.

Proper rigging practices and proper rigging equipment is also lacking a lot of times.

Thank you M16ty,
This brings up another subject SIGNALS, there is a standard set of crane signals, it is nice to get those BUT that is asking to much to ask for every body that owns a military wrecker to learn the proper signals, WHAT is needed is that both the lever puller and the ground person talk about what signals will be used, the operator IS NOT a mind reader, without both knowing what is going on, this is how someone GETS hurt, never mind tore up stuff and equipment, with signals the person on the ground controls the crane, the op. just follows the commands, he can REFUSE to do a command BUT NOT do another in its place. When the operator see someone trying to fly, or any other of the 1000+ motions that is SUPPOSED to be a signal, JUST STOP, DO NOT GUESS. ALSO if the operator see something that is even maybe not right from his vantage point STOP, call the ground person over, discuses it, then go on from there. COWBOYS behind the crane controls will get somebody hurt, either remove him from the seat OR WALK AWAY, these ARE the only 2 options. Just because someone got away with "doing this way" many times does NOT mean you need to be involved in " that way", again walk way if you can not bring some sort of since to the situation.

ONLY ONE PERSON GIVES SIGNALS, two or more hands go up, STOP , as soon as the hands go up, let them get pissed who cares, JUST STOP till they can figure who is giving signals, it should be the designated ground person, the ONLY time the op follows a signal from someone else is if someone raises a CLOSED FIST, the is "STOP, DOG IT DOWN" this signal overrides ALL OTHER SIGNALS.

Last year at the RALLY was the FIRST year I did not need to ask "what do you want" because of some of the signals I got, this was due to Robert, as the only one giving signals that I understood, hope the same is for this year,THANK you Robert

Last edited:

fasttruck

Kindly consider setting all 4 jacks when picking a load alongside, rather than off the end, of a M816, so if the load comes off the crane because a sling breaks or what not the unit does not fall over onto the other side possibly with you under it when it lands.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Kindly consider setting all 4 jacks when picking a load alongside, rather than off the end, of a M816, so if the load comes off the crane because a sling breaks or what not the unit does not fall over onto the other side possibly with you under it when it lands.
With the 5t wreckers where the boom only raises to 45 deg. this would be hard to do, though on a MAX + pick with the boom up all the way up, this could happen. So YES this is one more thing to think about when you are doing your lift plan BRFORE you do the lift.

18operator

Thank you 73m819.
I've lost count on how many times I had to tell the "signalperson" that I'm not a mind reader. Then they just give you that dumb blank look like you are suppose to be able to read in their noggins! Prelift meetings go a long way in my business.

Lawrence of Arabia

No Outriggers

22268.jpgAfter reading this thread I realized I used my wrecker once without setting the outriggers. It did not lean much, but I am in the business of boom trucks and should have deployed the outriggers before doing anything else. Seems like common sense, but easily overlooked. I guess because they are heavy and you can't easily deploy them with the pull of a lever, operators are not likely to put them out. These trucks can lift a lot, but I suggest putting the outriggers out anytime your over the side, no matter how lite of a load.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I applaud your pointing out potential problems by not using outriggers, it goes much further than that. You need to know the limits and capabilities of the crane before you even start the engine. You can make safe lifts to the side without outriggers as long as your load is under the crane capacity, and the ground conditions are stable. The capacities in the table below do not apply when on a slope or soft ground, and if you don't know the actual load weights, you default to deploying the outriggers. Actually, if you don't know the load weight and exceed the crane limits, you can break the cable (seen it happen) or bend the boom. I LOVE the way the military put weights on almost everything.

Crane Capacity.JPG

On the hand signals subject, unfortunately there are no universal hand signals, so the rigger and operator need to agree on what hand signals to use before they start work. Since it's difficult being the operator and rigger at the same time, I put together and printed out some hand signals for my wife and had her safely operating the crane in just a few minutes (she loved it!). The rigger on the ground is ultimately responsible for safe load movement, and the operator should do nothing except to follow the rigger's hand signals. As stated in the posts above, if the operator does not understand the signals, he stops until the intent is clarified.

Wrecker Hand Signals.jpg

Load rigging is also critical and you should be familiar with http://www.steelsoldiers.com/upload/misc/FM5-125.pdf, or another good rigging manual so you don't drop your load or damage equipment. For instance, if your slings are too short or sling angles too great at the crane hook, you could pull out the load attachment points or exceed the max sling weight even with a light load. I used to see this fairly often with contractors when I was working.

slingangles.jpg sling-to-load-angle-illustration.jpg

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Maybe we can get a MOD. to change the title of this thread to "SAFE CRANE OPERATION" this would be a better title as this thread is sorta branching out.

As far as working angle of straps, slings, ect. Anything UNDER 30 deg. is a NO NO, using the above 1000lbs, the load on the straps, ect., will be ABOVE THE 1000lbs, the flater the working angle is past the 30 deg. point the higher the load, it is very easy to have the 1000lbs turn into 3000lbs which could really stress a thin strap.

Another thing to remember, stressing a crane and rigging may not fail at the time of stress but LATTER on a lite load, people tend to forget the time the stress took place, and say "I do not know what happened, it just broke, not lifting nothing heavy"

The way cranes (ALL CRANES) are operated and maintained today is a long way from the late 50s when I started operating. there is a reason for every operating, maintaining, and rigging RULE that covers cranes, ect. That REASON is a DEATH, so with that thought in mind (death, injury), never mind tore up stuff, is the reason some of us are posting up safe CRANE operation. So guys read and listen because a crane/load can get away from you in a heart beat.

PRACTICE, get to know your equipment, practice crowding in/out at different boom angles while all the time keeping the hook at the same height, practice, practice, practice, this is how you learn to flip burgers with you crane.

Some of you may think I a bit nuts o on this crane safety thing, (I am normally a bit nuts o), just remember THE SMALLER THE CRANE, THE MORE DANGEOUS IT IS., the reason is that a small crane is asked to do more stuff that is CAN NOT do, and asked to do stuff with a lot less safety factor.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Title changed.

Even when running the backhoe around here for lifting operations hand signals are very important. Something I have done ever since I can remember is when I get the stop signal I put my hands up and off the controls so the ground person can seem I'm not touching anything.

jw4x4

A couple more safety tips- Make sure the operators' platform is clear of all clutter so that the controls are not accidently activated. And wear clear glasses as opposed to tinted, because eye contact goes a long way between the operator and the ground man.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the hand signals subject, unfortunately there are no universal hand signals, so the rigger and operator need to agree on what hand signals to use before they start work. Since it's difficult being the operator and rigger at the same time, I put together and printed out some hand signals for my wife and had her safely operating the crane in just a few minutes (she loved it!). The rigger on the ground is ultimately responsible for safe load movement, and the operator should do nothing except to follow the rigger's hand signals. As stated in the posts above, if the operator does not understand the signals, he stops until the intent is clarified.

View attachment 562448
While there may not be any "official" standard hand signals, the chart you posted is all I've ever seen in any manuals or warning stickers. There are a few abbreviated signals that you will see in the business but that chart pretty well covers it. The abbreviated signals are used when a flagman only has one free hand while the other is holding a tag line or something.

The absolute worst people screw up on is boom up/down and hoist up/down. Whatever signals you use, don't use a thumbs up for hoist. As a crane operator, I've come close to getting people hurt before because they were wanting me to hoist up but the flagman (who should have known better) was telling me to boom up. Thumbs up/down is always boom up/down. Use your pointer finger in a circular motion to indicate hoist up/down. There are also a couple of other industry standard signals for hoist operations but for simplification we won't get into them here.

And wear clear glasses as opposed to tinted, because eye contact goes a long way between the operator and the ground man.
Unless the sun is bright and shinning in the operators eyes, especially if you're also having to watch the boom tip.

Just use what glasses you need to see the best you can. If you need prescription wear them, if you need sunglasses wear them.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I am by myself I am the operator. When with the ground man he to me is the operator and I just the trained monkey. Like said he controls me for the most part. When all signals from him stop my hands leave the controls and are placed in my lap.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What do you mean there's no "official" standard for hand signals?!?!?!?

How "official" would you think the CODE OF FEDERAL REGULATIONS for OSHA would be????

https://www.osha.gov/dte/grant_materials/fy10/sh-21009-10/Hand_Signals_Cranes.pdf

Additionally, it is REQUIRED that these be POSTED on the CRANE ! ! !

"Hand signal charts must be either posted on the equipment or conspicuously posted in the vicinity of the hoisting operations."
Here's the link: https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=70

Just sayin'.

Carry on.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's true what you say, but parts of my industry were not covered by OSHA, as we were DOT-regulated under separate safety regulations. However, we usually complied with the OSHA regs as a matter of course.

Look at the OSHA Standard Method for STOP(hand swinging side-to-side parallel to the ground). The emergency stop signal made you look like Tiny Tim dancing above the tulips. In practice, I've never seen anyone use that in the field - they always used a closed fist. Cranes aren't the only place hand signals are used. The closed fist meant stop for all equipment, whether backing up a truck, excavating, using a sideboom, forklift, dragging equipment, rotating crankshafts, etc.

The OSHA regs also allowed for non-standard signals as long as everyone agreed on what the hand signals meant:

1926.1419(c)
Hand signals.​
1926.1419(c)(1)
When using hand signals, the Standard Method must be used (see Appendix A of this subpart). Exception: Where use of the Standard Method for hand signals is infeasible, or where an operation or use of an attachment is not covered in the Standard Method, non-standard hand signals may be used in accordance with paragraph (c)(2) of this section.​
1926.1419(c)(2)
Non-standard hand signals. When using non-standard hand signals, the signal person, operator, and lift director (where there is one) must contact each other prior to the operation and agree on the non-standard hand signals that will be used.

The main lesson I learned in dealing with government regulations in my past life is that they have little relationship with common sense (you have to be certified to operate a forklift, but not a backhoe).

Please pardon the sidebar discussion. We are picking nits, but we are all in general agreement that we want everyone to operate their wrecker cranes safely.​

Last edited:
The main signals for basic cranes are standardized - there is some variation once you get into machines that have multiple hooks and have additional axis' of movement like a dockyard rail crane or some of the overhead gantry cranes we had at the steel mill with bridge, trolley, twin hoist, and rotation... But they are just minor mods to the normal signals...

It took me a solid month before breaking the closed fist habit and going to the flat slashing motion... The only one we used that was different was for small hoist movement we'd pinch our fingers and thumb together - usually because you had the other hand on the load.

Same signals for fork trucks, man lifts, scissor lifts, zoom booms, loci's, and cranes - makes life simple...

We ran everything from 4000lb Lift trucks to 500 ton Hot Metal Overhead Gantry Cranes... Funny thing was the only thing we needed to go to school for was the Rough Terrain Mobile Crane - go figure...

Last edited:

Csm Davis

As was said earlier a safety meeting before any lift is mandatory, nothing hacks me off than being in the middle of a lift and someone tries to get in a signal or an outside person walks in to a lift zone ignoring what is going on. Last year we had a limousine service pull a van load of workers up under a load to off load them to a barge. The crane had to move the load away from the van and and it could have been a really bad situation. Thankfully it turned out okay but because of the stupid driver not following orders to stop, from then forward everyone had to hike in with their baggage up to a 1/2 mile.

Oh yeah - there are very few situations where you need to be under the overhang of a suspended load... I always tell the guys I work with when the do it "can you catch that? - what happens if something breaks and it falls?" Most of the time when we need to we'll either double rig it or block it up - often it is in a place where your have to clean a sealing surface and there is no way to flip it over in the engine room or the deck wouldn't hold the load...

Even then never get under it - would much rather see a hand or arm broken from a falling load than have to re-rig it off a dead co-worker... Seen enough near misses and a thankfully even fewer accidents that resulted in soiled drawers and only a few injuries. Often just knowing the lines of fire from failed rigging can make all the difference between "wow - that was crazy" and getting hurt.

The main problem (and pleasure) of using the wreckers is that there is no LMI and the crane is rated for tip-over rather than structural failure - you have to think rather than rely on a computer and a bunch of blinking LED's and alarms to keep you out of trouble.

I make picks all the time on the rubber with mine and I have never had any issues - just need to keep it within the design limits and not ask the machine to do things it cannot.

I just finished placing a 45ft HC shipping container (10,450 lb tare wt.) on my property that needed to have one end put up on ECO blocks to account for the grade - my m543a2 easily handled the job without issue. Just lifted one end at a time and put 1/2" thick 3" angle iron with the point up under the end on the ground as rails for it to slide on. Got the whole thing moved and placed on the blocks solo in under 2 hours... Simple ;)

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Oh yeah - there are very few situations where you need to be under the overhang of a suspended load... I always tell the guys I work with when the do it "can you catch that? - what happens if something breaks and it falls?" Most of the time when we need to we'll either double rig it or block it up - often it is in a place where your have to clean a sealing surface and there is no way to flip it over in the engine room or the deck wouldn't hold the load...

Even then never get under it - would much rather see a hand or arm broken from a falling load than have to re-rig it off a dead co-worker... Seen enough near misses and a thankfully even fewer accidents that resulted in soiled drawers and only a few injuries. Often just knowing the lines of fire from failed rigging can make all the difference between "wow - that was crazy" and getting hurt.

The main problem (and pleasure) of using the wreckers is that there is no LMI and the crane is rated for tip-over rather than structural failure - you have to think rather than rely on a computer and a bunch of blinking LED's and alarms to keep you out of trouble.

I make picks all the time on the rubber with mine and I have never had any issues - just need to keep it within the design limits and not ask the machine to do things it cannot.

I just finished placing a 45ft HC shipping container (10,450 lb tare wt.) on my property that needed to have one end put up on ECO blocks to account for the grade - my m543a2 easily handled the job without issue. Just lifted one end at a time and put 1/2" thick 3" angle iron with the point up under the end on the ground as rails for it to slide on. Got the whole thing moved and placed on the blocks solo in under 2 hours... Simple ;)
Wrong, It is rated for the SWL being what is on the load charts, the military wreckers can easily be over loaded because of the duel use of the truck (recovery lift tow and crane use). ALL military cranes require a YEARLY CERITFACTION of the SWL (safe working load) at the SWR (safe working radius), this is FAR BELOW the tipping weight/distance or structural failure. I am guessing the CERT. is 110% of the SWL.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks