• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce tail roller and bed winch, skid loading setup

tim292stro

With the PLS, Oshkosh put on guides with angled "blind alignment" wings that center the load as it comes into contact with the guide. I'm sure you could put some sort of wing on the bed-box to emulate this.
M1120_CHS_00.gif

From some seat-time I had in a Hook and Ladder tiller (no I'm not a Firefighter), there are some optical/physical things you can do to align the truck to the shelter. On the tractor of a ladder trailer, they usually put a lamp-post (white) in the center line of the tractor roof (sometimes this is disguised with an American flag) - the point of the lamp is that while seated in the tiller house looking towards the cab, when you are tracking the tiller-end in line with the tractor that lamp should be centered in the open end of the ladder.
HookNLadder-Optimized.jpg

You could do some similar setup on your selter/bed - an inverted stencil "V" in a contrasting color on the top edge of the shelter roof (winch-end), plus a bump of some sort on the door end of the shelter. Couple this with a contrasting line painted in the center of your bed box and two vertical black stripes on your rear cab window. when viewed through the rear view mirror during backing, it would look like this roughly (forgive the quick sketch in paint - tried to keep it somewhat perspective correct):
Alignment.gif

This would help you back up straight and aligned with the shelter - doesn't use any power or welding either.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought about some guides. Most winch trucks setup for oilfield work have just a big steel rod sticking up on each side of the tail roller for guides. The problem with this or the guides in your pic is that the sides of the shelter could be damaged as they aren't very heavy.I think I'll be ok without anything now that I know a little more about how to set everything up before I start winching.

I have found I can line everything up pretty well by just looking in the mirrors. My problem at first is I thought it wouldn't matter to be a little off and it would square itself up when I started winching, I was wrong. After the front of the shelter is started onto the bed you can also make adjustments by pulling the truck up a little and cutting the wheels whichever way is needed.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know this is an old thread but I would really like to see a loading/unloading video!
I'll try to get a loading/unloading video. The shelter is currently sitting in the deuce, I need to unload it in the near future anyway.

So far I've used the bed winch for all kinds of stuff. When needing to winch something, It's a lot easier to use the hyd winch in the bed than it is to use the stock front pto winch. I don't think I've used the front pto winch once since I mounted the hyd bed winch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks