• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Moving vehicle on trailer question

Austringer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is in the state of Georgia

A few questions regarding towing my military vehicle. I have a 05 Dodge 2500 with a 5.9l cumming turbo with a banks exhaust brake and a 10 ton duel axle 25 ft goose neck trailer. The vehicle I will towing is about 13500 lbs and the trailer is about 5600 lbs with electric brakes on both axles. The two questions I have are:

1: what size grade 70 chains would be appropriate for bringing the vehicle to the trailer.

2, base on the weight raipting of the trailer and the vehicle towing it, what type license would I need, I'm assuming a class A non-CDL Since I'm not for hire and moving my own toys.

thanks for the help.

jason

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BLUF: No Go.

presuming you have a quad cab, short box, Cummins, Auto Trans, your max tow capacity is 12K give or take. As low as 9,000lbs depending on your setup. In the absolute best setup, you're looking at 13,600lbs. your weight is pushing 20,000 lbs.

sls1

It matters how far u are going across scales then no go if local the truck is fully capable I've had 30,000 behind my f250 diesel no problem just drive carefully

Hainebd

Scales are the least. If an incident happens, your goose is cooked. Also over weight fines are expensive. By a 5 ton to tow the other truck.

We we have all done something that we should not have. I can only say that doing it with full knowledge that if something happens even if it is not your fault, you are responsible. Your insurance may not cover so you would have to fit the bill. Also, you maybe negligent making $$$ even more. Just not worth it.

if you do can you post where and when so I can stay away.

just a note. If you had a RAM, no problem! Pull anything anywhere.

Last edited:

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It matters how far u are going across scales then no go if local the truck is fully capable I've had 30,000 behind my f250 diesel no problem just drive carefully
No offense man, seeing this is your first post and all, but that's horrible advice. The issue with many trucks is not-so-much how much they can haul, but how much they can STOP. Your trailer can drive the truck if it's too heavy, all it takes is one kid or dog or police car pulling out in front of you and you have a SEVERE or fatal accident.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I can't help on the chain or the license, but there are many knowledgeable people here who can assist in that arena.

I would strongly consider a bigger truck to pull that much weight. Like the others said, part of the issue is safety (both stopping and stability) but the bigger part is legality. If you ever have so much as the mildest fender bender, I suspect the fecal matter will hit the air displace very quickly. I would assume someone will sue you and your insurance company will tell you to take a hike.

I've overloaded plenty of Dodge 2500/3500 trucks and I have no doubt your truck will physically pull the setup and honestly, it will probably stop too. Although I'd much prefer a dually for that kind of weight. But the legal aspect of it would make me run away.

Here are the towing specs for all the 2005 2500 Dodges, with all engines including the Cummins.

http://www.media.chrysler.com/dcxms/assets/specs/2005Ram25003500Specs.pdf

The heaviest trailer that any 2500 is rated to pull is 13,600 lbs.

Gunnermac

Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will need a class E noncommercial drivers license to tow a combination of vehicles with a gross weight of 26,001 pounds or more provided the gross rating of the vehicle being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds, and all vehicles included within Class F and Class C. This is necessary for transporting your personal equipment. I have found that some DOT enforcement personel are not aware of this provision of the Ga. code. Make yourself a copy of Ga code 40-5-23 sub c, keep it with you and save yourself some court time. If you go out overweight , you are facing substantial fines and huge liability.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like the only thing left out above, is the chain. 5/16 grade 70 is adequate with the bigger binders. Tying on a vehicle, you need at least four for the corners, with a binder on each. Depending on what it is, that maybe just a start and you might need 8 or 10. Straps are good too, but there again, you can'tDSCN0015.jpg have sharp edges around them. They shouldn't be less then 2", and often 4" with a winch is best. Rigging is expensive too! If you want to see a DOT Cop with heartburn, be overweight & have a poorly tied load.

Trick: Put a half turn in your strap, and they won't flutter in the wind. The little white thingys for the corners/sharp edges, can be had free, at your local lumber yard. They are just card board, but they work for a while.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As has been stated, the truck and trailer combo is more than capable of hauling said load. The problem is GVWR. I don't know why the rate them so low other than to cover their tail.

quickfarms

As has been stated, the truck and trailer combo is more than capable of hauling said load. The problem is GVWR. I don't know why the rate them so low other than to cover their tail.
There is a standard test that is performed to determine the GVWR it involves engineering design, life cycle durability and liability and actual performance.

Overloading a truck greatly increases the stopping distance and over stresses the entire drivetrain.

Some states will allow you to register a truck at a higher GVWR than normal. This is usually for larger trucks. On my class 7 and 8 trucks the GVWR only applies to the truck and you add the trailers to it.

The GCVW rating is what is important which is 17,000 to 20,000 for a 2500. The max trailer weight is 13,400

Last edited:

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good advice, the rated weights are the issue. (But then people doing this are what keeps me employed . . . . .)
Regarding the chain, 3/8" Gr 70 will be required if you use screw binders, most of the are 6600# rated and that needs 3/8", the 5/16" is enough chain, just does not match most binders.
Straps are good, most real ones are 5000#.
General rule regarding chains is the have chain capacity to meet full weight of the load, in forward or rear direction. So, 13,000# load needs 13,000# of chain rating both forward and rear. Now we get into the side loading, and you will have the reason proper rigging chains are crossed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks