• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SEE will not start

USPatriot75

Hey guys maybe you can help me on this. Recently aquired this rig from a buddy. It runs great, been using it pretty frequently. Anyhow. We knew it was tough to start because what we thought was a faulty clutch neutral interlock. Had to jimmy it to start rig. So one day couldnt get it to go so i bypassed the switch. Started right up. Problem solved right...wrong. few days later go to start it. Press the start button. Held it down for 2-3 seconds and engine cranked over , 5hr work day ..parked it. 3 days later go to start it hit the button nothing. Repeatedly hit the button...nothing. Tested batteries, key switch, starter cables are tight, no blown fuses. Thought ignition button was bad, but the resounding silence it sounds like its closing the circuit. Could be starter itself?

Nitetrain

Any luck getting it solved. I got a SEE a little while ago. When I turn the key to on, I get a buzzer sound and the low air pressure light is on. When I push the start button...nothing. any thoughts. Thanks Dave

bchauvette

There is a push button that is engaged by the clutch pedal arm. I have to push the clutch in with a good amount of force to get the stater to work. I'm thinking of by passing that switch.

peakbagger

The person I bought mine had issues with starting and he went through a lot of attempts to fix and it came down to a bad connection in the fuse box. The combination of the location and the design of the fusebox means its easy for corrosion to get in the fuse contacts. Might be worth cleaning the contacts.

dmetalmiki

Try BenzWorld.org some say A quick and easy hack for this problem is to jumper the small lug on the starter to the big lug until you fix the under lying problem. Hope this helps. keep us informed, (as) that is a common problem.

USPatriot75

Any luck getting it solved. I got a SEE a little while ago. When I turn the key to on, I get a buzzer sound and the low air pressure light is on. When I push the start button...nothing. any thoughts. Thanks Dave
Ok, I managed to fix mine. bchauvette, the clutch saftey interlock switch, I bypassed mine too. Turned out to be the starter... I tested the Starter.... starter engaged but nothing from the solenoid. So I replaced the starter solenoid.. hooked it up... and the **** thing started arcing when I hooked up the batteries. turned out the starter was bad too. Replaced the starter and presto... running perfectly.

Nitetrain

So glad I found this forum. It is nice to have people to bounce problems off of that have the same equipment.

My Unimog is out at my land, but when I get out there in a few weeks, I will start with running a hot wire directly to the solenoid to make sure the starter works. If it works, I will start cleaning all of the fuse connections.

Thanks for the info, Dave

Road Rage

looking for help on the underlying problem. The truck will start and run and everything works great for about 10 minutes. Then fuse 3 on fuse block 1 blows (starter interlock) and I loose fuel, oil, water and tach gauges. Truck will continue to run. Replace fuse and everything is good again for a while. Truck can be hot wired with fuse blown but will not start from push button. Any ideas on what device could be blowing the fuse. The only diagram I see in the manual show the k1 and K2 relays in the start button, clutch interlock circuit.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I ended up bypassing the WHOLE start safety circut, straight hot to the switch then to the starter button then to the starter, no safety relay, this was the ONLY way to get the pos to start after the rat ate the wires (a LOT of wires) The electrical system on the SEE does not impress me even a little bit, a VERY capable machine with the crappiest electrical system that I have ever seen.

USfire

Having the same issue with my MOG. It was starting and running great set for about a week and went to start it, hit the start button and nothing, new batteries, all connections tight, volt meter shows draw at the solenoid when I press the clutch in, and the solenoid get hot if I hold the start button down for more than 5 seconds. Checked the fuses and they seem to all be getting voltage through them. It has a Bosh starter solenoid, which I attempted to take out but it did not seem to want to come off the top of the starter. Could it be a start safety some where I am missing, if so how can I wire around them to see if that is what it is? Also what is the black toggle switch located under the hood on the drivers side, it looks to be connected to about 4 relays by the fuses. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

USfire

The black toggle switch switches between the headlights (that are normally blocked by the loader) and the auxiliary lights.
No this one is under what I call the front hood, it is located just to the right of the row of fuses, and just above 4 relays. When the Mog was running I switched it both ways and it did not seem to change anything.

peakbagger

No this one is under what I call the front hood, it is located just to the right of the row of fuses, and just above 4 relays. When the Mog was running I switched it both ways and it did not seem to change anything.
You are trying to apply American logic to a German vehicle ;). That switch definitely has nothing to do with the starter circuit. Those relays are mostly related to the black out lighting selector.

USfire

You are trying to apply American logic to a German vehicle ;). That switch definitely has nothing to do with the starter circuit. Those relays are mostly related to the black out lighting selector.
Did not think it did but have see stranger, thanks to everyone for the help on the switch.

Do you think I need to pull the starter? If so anyone have any secrets, even though it is right at your feet, I have not been able to get a anything on the nuts to turn them.

General Hood

Did not think it did but have see stranger, thanks to everyone for the help on the switch.

Do you think I need to pull the starter? If so anyone have any secrets, even though it is right at your feet, I have not been able to get a anything on the nuts to turn them.
Have you tried starting the SEE using a screwdriver across the starter solenoid posts? If it cranks, the problem is most likely somewhere else

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...volt meter shows draw at the solenoid when I press the clutch in, and the solenoid get hot if I hold the start button down for more than 5 seconds. Could it be a start safety some where I am missing, if so how can I wire around them to see if that is what it is?
For the solenoid to get hot it has to be getting voltage. Sounds to me like either the solenoid or starter are unhappy. Or maybe both.
Try jumping it with a screw driver (or a more civilized remote starter setup) like General Hood suggested.

peakbagger

FYI, a member on this site was selling surplus new starters. If he is out of them I believe VonsMogs has a gear reduction starter that should fit. I would guess that a good starter rebuild shop should be able to fix what is wrong with the existing on as the hours on this starter should be real low.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks