• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1078 to A1 driveshaft parts source

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As part of my drive-line upgrades leading up to the 3.07 gear swap , I did replace my front prop shaft with 4" unit I found at Eastern Surplus. (I still have the 3" if anyone needs a rebuild-able core.) My drive-line expert in Sparks re-balanced both my front and rear and replaced the splines on the rear at a very reasonable cost. This eliminated much of the vibration at highway speeds. The gear upgrade lowered the prop shaft speed considerably so it drives smooth as silk now..

Pointman

Jynxx1970

Hello name Mike here looking to purchase a 1998 M 1078 cargo truck rear driveshaft anyone have one for sale here in California

coachgeo

Hello name Mike here looking to purchase a 1998 M 1078 cargo truck rear driveshaft anyone have one for sale here in California
not worth buying from military source...... it is nothing special.. just commercial truck parts... just go to a drive line shop that makes shafts for any big rig truck. The ujoints are standard Spicer heavyduty big rig Ujoints and the shafts are standard big rig tubes. 4" if I recall right.

with measurements they will make you a new one that is for sure better than NOS ..... for around same price... if not less since you won't have shipping to deal with.

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one from my M1078 that had the D upgrade. Suitable for running or as a core for rebuilding. PM me or text to 775-901-3319. I am near Lake Tahoe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrMikey4026

Just thinking out loud here! I have not talked with my driveline shop yet.
Has anyone considered making up a two piece rear driveline with a center bearing?
I have not put a pencil to it yet, but the angles on my Ujoints measure roughly 8 degrees.
If the rear were tipped up 4 degrees it looks like the angles could be split among the 3 joints at about 4 degrees each.
My drivelines have new joints and balanced, still shitty.
I can't believe they built anything as poorly engineered as these thing are!

coachgeo

Just thinking out loud here! I have not talked with my driveline shop yet.
Has anyone considered making up a two piece rear driveline with a center bearing?
I have not put a pencil to it yet, but the angles on my Ujoints measure roughly 8 degrees.
If the rear were tipped up 4 degrees it looks like the angles could be split among the 3 joints at about 4 degrees each.
My drivelines have new joints and balanced, still shitty.
I can't believe they built anything as poorly engineered as these thing are!
shimming the rear axle on LMTV to tilt it has bee discussed but not sure anyone but myself have done it. Overkill in my case since I also swapped to a high pinion (6x6) axle as my rear axle on my LMTV.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks