• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

License Plates for a 2 1/2 ton ?

Elohim1

I just purchased a deuce and couldnt wait to get tags. I had the title put in my name and went To the Lic Bureau to get tags.

They were going to charge me about $55 for 15 months. I made the mistake ?? of telling them it weighed 12,000 lbs and that it was a truck.

My title says make is "jeep Corp" and body type is "SW". Is this correct ?

She then said I would need to get the title changed , to a truck and would have to get commercial tags costing about $180 a year.

I believe , I have three choices.

1) Go to another Bureau and keep my mouth shut and get the $55.00 tags.

2) Attempt to get historical tags for a one time fee of $27.00. Since I will be primarily be using my truck to pull a jeep to offroading events , I believe this is a possibility.

3) Go through the title change process and pay $180 a year commercial fee.

I would like to hear your thoughts and which type of tags you guys use. i am assuming laws vary state to state so feedback from some Ohioans would be helpful.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Opie

E,

I bought my shop van from Eric at www.Miltrucks.com, and he's a private collector who had a stable of deuces tagged as historic which he's now selling off. To quote him from a December 2004 e-mail, "In Ohio, these things are pretty easy to title - all of mine are tagged Historic vehicles (25 years or older) and plates cost about $35 for 50 years."

I think you can contact him through his website with detailed questions.

Good luck!

MVtrucker

I'm in NJ, so our laws are a little different in some aspects, but what you stated so far is about the same here. I have antique plates (the prefix on the tags is QQ, so we just call them QQ's) on my 5-ton cargo and wrecker. I had QQ's (about $33.50, a one time fee and no inspection) on my M35A2, but when The Law pulled me over when I was towing a civvy trailer with a front end loader/backhoe on it, I faced charges of misuse of QQ plates, no CDL (combo was well over 26,000 lb.), over weight and no insurance (non club or education use), so the next day I tagged it for regular private use. Since I do not have a company name on the truck and it's only for noncommercial use, I could tag it private, giving me a much lower insurance rate. Tags cost me about the same as they want from you. We pay a certain amount for the first 6,000 lb. and then so much more for the weight we want to tag it for (maybe $15.00 per added 1,000 lb. GVW).
NJ prohibits any use other than club related of educational. No going out for a casual drive. Anyway, that's the law, but the police rarely enforce it.
Added:As to Mr. Lawman, he was just upset about some biological debris falling off of the trailer and didn't mention the QQ plate. He did order me to go home and sweep the leaves and twigs off of the trailer. No problem.

Lee Alessi

interesting louisiana law. no use restrictions. one time 25 dollar fee. the painted numbers are yours. no weight restrictions/classifications

47:463.16.  Special license plates or authorized identification for World War II, Korean War, and other military vehicles

A.  The secretary shall establish and issue special license plates for motorized and nonmotorized World War II or Korean War military vehicles, including motorcycles and trailers.  These license plates shall be used in lieu of the regular motor vehicle registration license plates and shall be issued for the life of the vehicle.  Such plates may be issued as antique personalized prestige plates authorized by R.S. 47:463.8, and such plates shall be in lieu of the regular motor vehicle registration license plates and shall be issued for life.

B.  The secretary shall establish and issue special license plates for other motorized and nonmotorized military vehicles, including motorcycles and trailers, which can be classified as vehicles of historic or special interest as defined in R.S. 32:442(4) and which are owned by collectors as defined in R.S. 32:442(1); for the purposes of this Section, said definitions shall be deemed to include trailers.  These license plates shall be used in lieu of the regular motor vehicle registration license plates and shall be issued for the life of the vehicle.

C.  In lieu of the license plates provided in Subsections A and B of this Section, the secretary shall authorize the use of the military vehicle identification number stenciled on the vehicle in white or yellow letters and numbers in accordance with military regulations.

D.  The fee for issuing the license plates or authorized identification provided for in this Section shall be a one-time fee of twenty-five dollars for each plate, which shall be in addition to the regular motor vehicle registration license fee for the military personalized prestige plates.  The fee for transferring such plate or authorized identification to a subsequent owner of the vehicle shall be three dollars.

E.  The secretary shall provide rules and regulations for the implementation of the provisions of this Section.[/b]

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In TEXAS you can register it as a former military vehicle, but there is too many restrictions for me. So i'm stuck with $230 a year for tags.

da_sgt

Here in Colorado I first had Light Truck plates, they cost more than my dump truck :freaked: We don't have "Historical" plates we have "Collectors plates", just has to be 25 years or more older. Catch is you pay for 5 years up front. I now have it tagged as a "Rec Truck" plates are about a third ($80 a year) no restrictions, other than no commercial use. I think the key is to know the people you deal with and have a silver tongue, and give um' a wink :smilewinkgrin:

Low-Tech-Redneck

We got antique plates for the Deuce' here, In PA, once you get it registered as an antique, you're also emissions exempt, inspections exempt and the registration is good for life, it acutaly says "INDEFINATE" under the expiry date on the paperwork

Now, it limits you to "reasonable use" and defines that as driving it no more than 1 day a week, or to and from car shows, scheduled events, etc.

Don't know what the law says about personal use, we've hauled dirt and gravel with it before for the driveway, I'm pretty sure commercial use is prohibited, but, like most of the other poeple here, we only use it to haul our own crap around, so we can't be classified as a commerical hauler.

I think that we may have a cap on mileage as well, but, nobody ever comes around to inspect the odometer, and as long as you don't make a habit of being seen in it everywhere, I don't imagine the cops will ever give us a second glance.

Heh, "antique car" my foot!

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is an idea that might work for shop van owners. In ohio, if you install a bed, table, stove, and icebox, you can get your title coverted to an RV title. Plates are about 45 a year, and insurance was about 150 a year for liability only. I put a small folding table, turned a couple of seats around to face each other for a bed, a old coleman stove, and old icebox, in my bus. Much cheaper than bus plates, and no CDL is needed for a rv. My bus has air brakes and the GVW is 26,500. The title office has the paperwork, cost was cheap to convert title.

Last edited:

bomar76

Here is a link to the the Ohio law to print out and take with you to the BMV:

http://www.ohiomotorpool.oldmv.com/feature.htm

"LICENSING A HISTORIC MILITARY VEHICLE IN OHIO
The Ohio Motor Vehicle Code allows the owner of a historic military vehicle to display the "assigned registration number of the vehicle" in lieu of displaying the Ohio Collector plate(s). The section below was taken from the State of Ohio Department section licensing historical motor vehicles ( [§ 4503.18.1] § 4503.181. Historical motor vehicles ). Please remember that the comments of this author may be superceded by the Ohio Motor Vehicle Laws, and the interpretation of those laws by the Licensing Agent(s). I do not believe that the agents are at all familiar with this provision, so you may want to provide the statute number and perhaps a copy of the statute (below). The material that follows is directly from the Ohio Revised Code as of September 25, 2004.
[§ 4503.18.1] § 4503.181. Historical motor vehicles.

(A) As used in this section, "historical motor vehicle" means any motor vehicle that is more than twenty-five years old and that is owned solely as a collector's item and for participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, and similar uses, but in no event is used for general transportation.

(B) In lieu of the annual license tax levied in sections 4503.02 and 4503.04 of the Revised Code, a license fee of ten dollars is levied on the operation of an historical motor vehicle.

(C) A person who owns an historical motor vehicle and applies for license plates under this section shall execute an affidavit that the vehicle for which plates are requested is owned and operated solely for the purposes enumerated in division (A) of this section, and also setting forth in the affidavit that the vehicle has been inspected and found safe to operate on the public roads and highways in the state. A person who owns an historical motor vehicle and desires to display model year license plates on the vehicle as permitted by this section shall execute at the time of registration an affidavit setting forth that the model year license plates the person desires to display on the person's historical motor vehicle are legible and serviceable license plates that originally were issued by this state. No registration issued pursuant to this section need specify the weight of the vehicle.

(D) A vehicle registered under this section may display historical vehicle license plates issued by the registrar of motor vehicles or model year license plates procured by the applicant. Historical vehicle license plates shall not bear a date, but shall bear the inscription "Historical Vehicle - Ohio" and the registration number, which shall be shown thereon. Model year license plates shall be legible and serviceable license plates issued by this state and inscribed with the date of the year corresponding to the model year when the vehicle was manufactured. Notwithstanding section 4503.21 of the Revised Code, only one model year license plate is required to be displayed on the rear of the historical motor vehicle at all times. The registration certificate and the historical vehicle license plates issued by the registrar shall be kept in the vehicle at all times the vehicle is operated on the public roads and highways in this state.
Notwithstanding section 4503.21 of the Revised Code, the owner of an historical motor vehicle that was manufactured for military purposes and that is registered under this section may display the assigned registration number of the vehicle by painting the number on the front and rear of the vehicle. The number shall be painted, in accordance with the size and style specifications established for numerals and letters shown on license plates in section 4503.22 of the Revised Code, in a color that contrasts clearly with the color of the vehicle, and shall be legible and visible at all times. Upon application for registration under this section and payment of the license fee prescribed in division (B) of this section, the owner of such an historical motor vehicle shall be issued historical vehicle license plates. The registration certificate and at least one such license plate shall be kept in the vehicle at all times the vehicle is operated on the public roads and highways in this state. If ownership of such a vehicle is transferred, the transferor shall surrender the historical vehicle license plates or transfer them to another historical motor vehicle the transferor owns, and remove or obliterate the registration numbers painted on the vehicle.

(E) Historical vehicle and model year license plates are valid without renewal as long as the vehicle for which they were issued or procured is in existence. Historical vehicle plates are issued for the owner's use only for such vehicle unless later transferred to another historical motor vehicle owned by that person. In order to effect such a transfer, the owner of the historical motor vehicle that originally displayed the historical vehicle plates shall comply with division (C) of this section. In the event of a transfer of title, the transferor shall surrender historical vehicle license plates or transfer them to another historical motor vehicle owned by the transferor, but model year license plates may be retained by the transferor. The registrar may revoke license plates issued under this section, for cause shown and after hearing, for failure of the applicant to comply with this section. Upon revocation, historical vehicle license plates shall be surrendered; model year license plates may be retained, but no longer are valid for display on the vehicle.

(F) The owner of an historical motor vehicle bearing historical vehicle license plates may replace them with model year license plates by surrendering the historical vehicle license plates and motor vehicle certificate of registration to the registrar. The owner, at the time of registration, shall execute an affidavit setting forth that the model year plates are legible and serviceable license plates that originally were issued by this state. Such an owner is required to pay the license fee prescribed by division (B) of this section, but the owner is not required to have the historical motor vehicle re-inspected under division (C) of this section.

A person who owns an historical motor vehicle bearing model year license plates may replace them with historical vehicle license plates by surrendering the motor vehicle certificate of registration and applying for issuance of historical vehicle license plates. Such a person is required to pay the license fee prescribed by division (B) of this section, but the person is not required to have the historical motor vehicle re inspected under division (C) of this section.

HISTORY: 125 v 229 (Eff 10-2-53); 129 v 1087 (Eff 10-2-61); 130 v 1046 (Eff 1-23-63); 130 v 1047 (Eff 7-26-63); 135 v S 204 (Eff 11-21-73); 144 v H 165 (Eff 12-17-91); 146 v H 353 (Eff 9-17-96); 147 v S 213. Eff 7-29-98.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here in Indiana I have plated my M543A2 wrecker as historic with no problems driving it around to use it as intended, and we plate our deuces and 5 ton cargoes as farm trucks (you have to own a farm), which is half the price of commercial plates. We go that way with them because we haul with them and don't need questions that might come with historic plates on them. If I did not own a farm, I would try historic on them and see how it went. We have never had a question from police about our plating practices even when assisting at situations where they were present.

Loose Deuce

The black girl at my court house was fairly new and she didn't know what to do so she gave me a B-10 tag. I've seen these on 1 ton trucks, i'm happy if they are happy.

Texas Diesel

M35 tags/registraion/inspection in Texas

Sir, I just read your documnet located at http://olive-drab.com/od_mvg_register_texas.php

I'm sorry to say, I just didn't understand the document at http://olive-drab.com/od_mvg_register_texas.php at all. I have bought a 1975 M35A2 6x6 from an individual in Louisiana. I will pick it up in about a week.

The vehicle has Loiusiana license plates, so it was registered, I guess, as a regular commercail vehicle. The private party I purchased the truck from
owns a trucking company. and he just lumped it's coverage with his other trucks.

My question regards - I plan on driving the vehicle maybe one day a week, for occassional driving, Of course, there might be times I use it for parades
and other events.

What would any of you suggest I say or do to have the truck registered in Texas, I'm assumimg I need to get it registered and inspected in Texas.

Please give me some wisdom on how to approach this. I expect an ordeal but am hoping for the best. I have attached a couple of pictures of the
M35 if that would help in your answering my questions.

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to read this.

Attachments

martinwcox

That's been up on ebay a few weeks now.

The A/C would be nice but not sure what happens when the axles flex with those huge tires, they look very close together.

I pay $290 yr to insure in MA with Antique plates.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Who has the link to that thread? There are some things your seller listed wrong. I will link the thread so you know what to expect, not to upset you.

Edit, seems to have been deleted. Just so you know, 1600s DO NOT fit on a stock truck, so you might want to inspect his "handy" work on the rear connecting rods and suspension. Also, the trucks are rated at 2.5 capacity off road, 5ton on paved roads. I know it is nit-picking, but you should know. I would be most worried about the custom rear modifications.

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For Texas check out this thread.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/politi...-texas-fmv-laws-former-military-vehicles.html

More than I would ever want to know if I lived there.

;-)
:ditto::ditto::ditto::ditto::ditto::ditto::ditto::ditto::ditto::ditto:
The West Texas Detachment welcomes the new guy and his truck to the SS website ! Find a bunk, stow your gear, and prepare to get underway.

BTW- During your downtime, lay in your bunk and read ReAd READ the MANY threads and posts that will answer your many and varied questions. There is a HUGE wealth of wisdom already archived here. Just start digging.

W E L C O M E ! ! !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks