• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

License Plates for a 2 1/2 ton ?

Flyingvan911

Welcome, Texas Diesel. We don't mean to put down your deuce, we are just a little concerned based on data posted on the E-Bay auction page. (If this is the deuce that was advertised as carrying 40k lbs. If not, set us straight.) Read through the Tech Manuals and the deuce forum. Steel Soldiers has tons of deuce info.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We would like to know more about how he modified the suspension to fit the 53's , as a saftey concern and to help prevent costly repairs by you . His e-bay add was less than honest.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Montana it was $113 for my registration and titling. My insurance with my 2 F-350s is $67 a month through USAA. My registration on my truck was higher than it should have been cause Montana lets you choose your own GVW and pay the fee for that weight. I think its like $1.50 for every 2,000lbs over 20 or 24k. It is kinda weird. I still have standard state tags. Permanent tags for it would have been $400 with that GVW for life.

Attachments

Texas Diesel

:beer:I thank all of you for your input. Yes, it is the one on eBay. Since this is my first MV I value hearing it all. I don't plsn to "mud" this truck, on purpose :), at all. I will probably drive it to work one day a week, about a 30 mile trip, parades, scout events, etc. I'm looking into joining some MV collectors organizations too. My son-in-law owns a transportation company so he has experience with big rigs, I'm only familiar with 3/4 and 1 ton pickups. I am taking my son-in-law along for a driving evaluation before I finalize the deal. We plan on hauling it back to houston from Louisiana. Thanks Again!:D

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I would start a new thread and see if one of the deuce guys down there might be able to go with you and point out anything "questionable". It can't hurt if you are not familiar with the trucks.

Texas Diesel

Thank you. That is a great idea. I have finalized a date ot time yet, but it will be in the next seven days. I'll try and think of a title for the thread so it will get some quick attention after I get a date/time down. Thanks again for the great suggestion.:D

Darwin T

The vehicle has Loiusiana license plates, so it was registered, I guess, as a regular commercail vehicle. The private party I purchased the truck from
owns a trucking company. and he just lumped it's coverage with his other trucks.

My question regards - I plan on driving the vehicle maybe one day a week, for occassional driving, Of course, there might be times I use it for parades
and other events.

What would any of you suggest I say or do to have the truck registered in Texas, I'm assumimg I need to get it registered and inspected in Texas.

if you register it as a Texas FMV you are NOT suspose to just drive it around unless you are going to a parade or car show type event. cheapest.

if you reqister it as a truck (non comercial) to haul 10,000 pounds it will cost you about $375.00 a year.

if you register it as a truck (non comercial) to haul 4.000 pounds it will cost about $175.00 a year. don't get caught haulis more that it is titled for.

as long as it is not registerd over 26,000 pound it does not have to be registered as comercial vehicle. unless you are going to use it as a comercial vehicle.

yes it has to have a Texas State Inspection Sticker. any instection station can do it, if they don't freak out when you drive up.

I hope you enjoy your truck as much as i do mine.

Kgood

tags

We live in West Virginia and had to get what they call "B" rated tags for a load rating up to 16000 lbs. Has to be renewed every year and costs around 60.00. But on a good note she gets a regular vehicle inspection. In total Molly (my deuce) costs about 125.00 a year to keep her legal. But it's worth it.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
if you register it as a Texas FMV you are NOT suspose to just drive it around unless you are going to a parade or car show type event. cheapest.

if you reqister it as a truck (non comercial) to haul 10,000 pounds it will cost you about $375.00 a year.

if you register it as a truck (non comercial) to haul 4.000 pounds it will cost about $175.00 a year. don't get caught haulis more that it is titled for.

as long as it is not registerd over 26,000 pound it does not have to be registered as comercial vehicle. unless you are going to use it as a comercial vehicle.

yes it has to have a Texas State Inspection Sticker. any instection station can do it, if they don't freak out when you drive up.

I hope you enjoy your truck as much as i do mine.
Good points on the different routes that are availalbe in Texas.

The only point to clarify is the INSPECTION...

IF registered as a TxFMV it would be EXEMPT from initial or annual inspections, and the display of windshield stickers. (Please see the TxFMV thread previously referenced.)

decafe

I’m in Nj and have tags with a commercial registration it cost $323 a year . I do demolition work and use the truck in local jobs for hauling and as a water truck. I think I used about a dozen times last year for work . But I also had in a Christmas parade and plan on using on beach for surf fishing in AC this year. The truck is lettered and give good advertising.

Nomad1

My advice is tag it according to your state requirement and how you'll be using it. If it means you have to pay more than that's just how it is. I'm over 23,000 fully loaded so mine will be $200 in my state. Trying to skate by could cost you a lot more.

Kwaligura

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Ohio the stipulation for historical plates is to and from an event/function and to and from a repair shop. If you get caught driving it for anything else they can make you surrender your plates. I put Historical on one and Commercial plates on the other because it is really hard trying to convince a cop that you are coming from an event with 6 ton of stone or firewood in the bed.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Ohio the stipulation for historical plates is to and from an event/function and to and from a repair shop. If you get caught driving it for anything else they can make you surrender your plates. I put Historical on one and Commercial plates on the other because it is really hard trying to convince a cop that you are coming from an event with 6 ton of stone or firewood in the bed.
WA is similar, but the wording includes: "special occasions". Well, for me, going to the dump is always a special moving experience.

I have driven my deuce over 3k highway miles in WA & OR and never gotten pulled over. I do have a cover on the back which I think helps as I'm usually carrying something for personal use. A couple years ago I was carrying 110 16' 2x4's that stuck out the back and still didn't have a problem. I think as long as it's not your daily driver and you're not using it for business purposes you'd be fine - but if you don't have a cover, maybe get one.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Same for Ontario, Canada. I decided against farm plates (only valid up to 60km radius around farm; could have gotten them then but no longer now) and against historical plates - because the other restriction for historical is total weight of the rig. Technically, only up to 4500 kg (9000 lbs) allowed.

Can you get away with it? Sure. I know several Deuces with historic plates. I have not had any hassle from law enforcement, whatsoever. But you give them reasonable grounds to take action, if they so choose. I'd rather keep this decision under my control.
There is insufficient consideration given to our hobby by the policy makers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks