• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My local city LE dept just came up with a Mog.

icecreamman

It's equipped with a front-end loader and backhoe. I've seen it through a garage door window but not up close and personal. I'll try to get some pics this Friday.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
SEE Truck, Small Emplacement Excavator. Technically labeled as a "Frieghtliner". There's a few on here. Fun little trucks.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your city LE has very good taste in highly capable vehicles, although it is most definitely not one to try and pursue somebody in, unless they are on foot!
KK

icecreamman

Sorry, no pics. Honeydews.

It's kind of strange how LE can get surplus stuff that public works people can't. LE also got a five ton dump truck, trailer and D9 and allows public works to use them? Don't get me wrong, we are all one happy family here. Why should public works have to go through LE to get surplus construction equipment?

Only asking?

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
PRobably something about the origins of the program. There's some guys that have years of experience with this, and can probably chime in. Glad your city is making use of the material in a common sense way. Just keep inventory records!

peakbagger

While looking for a Unimog SEE (the one with the loader backhoe), I found several on various state surplus government property sites. The equipment is available only to approved local and state government entities and not available to civilians. There is a generally a requirement the entity that takes possession of it keep in in inventory for some period of time before the get full ownership. The major downside to this is that most local entities don't have Unimog mechanics and parts and service tools can be a challenge. They may rub initially but at some point the have a significant mechanical issue and then they may sit until the local entity has a surplus auction which generally don't have restrictions on ownership and then they get into individual hands.

saddamsnightmare

May 31st, 2015.

Generally there are few restrictions on an SEE, as Case built the forerunners of that design using S406 or 408 chassis and Schmidt equipment. They are capable little trucks, and will generally beat a conventional backhoe over the road to a job site.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
KsM, look at post 4, they are letting the Public Works department use them (at least appears so).

KsM715

Hmmm so wouldn't that be like a straw purchase at a gun shop? I'm just asking? If you have to be LE to get the stuff then it should be LE that uses it. I have nothing against PW using it, what I have an issue with is the rules being bent by what they're doing. I be the PD isn't so lenient when J.Q. P. bends the rules

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
that's your thoughts. I personally would rather see ANY Department use taxpayer bought equipment to save taxpayers money (Be it fire, police, public works, the library, animal control) than have it rot away in a back motorpool or turned into import cars.

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My two cents, I've worked with GSA surplus for many years, I would say the the DPW can get items, but maybe some one in the town has directed only police can or the person working surplus issues in the PD is more energetic than anyone in the DPW. I'm sure the town has appointed one person as the GSA coordinator, my guess is he works for the PD! It's town procured, so letting the DPW use it would not be breaking GSA rules as they are part of the same town. Just my thoughts!

On the Military side, I've had them in my unit, yes they are faster and you don't need to trailer them to a project, and the JD backhoe is awesome! The downside is the bucket, 3/4 yard is useless or it was for us, and there is a lack of power to it, so it was now well liked. BUT, it was cool and fun to drive! The Military replaced them with a much better unit!

NEIOWA

Cops can get surplus .mil for "Drug Enforcement" thru DOD 1033 programs HUGE amount of fraud over the years by the boys in blue. In general, no one typically checks what it is being used for, where it is, or even if they can still find it (haven't "lost it). Including weapons.

A city/county/state can obtain the same surplus (if not take by police etc) for their us thru a State Federal Surplus office (I think every state has one). I either case the only cost is transportation. The State Fed Surplus normally SELL what they get for free to the city.

Remove/sell the attachments and the SEE (Unimog can go most anywhere for a rescue. BUT that is the FD business not the cops. Empire building.

FD can also obtain DOD surplus for their use. As a SEE for wildland fire fighting/rescue etc. In fact right now I'm waiting on transfer of a HMMH with 6mi on the clock.

A SEE can't dig??? You obviously need to go back to remedial diggin with E-tool. IN the INFANTRY a Dee handle shovel was exciting. When a SEE showed up it was won the lottery time. Sit down and eat an MRE.

peakbagger

I see that the a town or city police department in Carlton Michigan has a see on Ebay for sale with no minimum. I expect they got it on federal surplus inventory and decided that they didn't need it.

flu419

I bought my SEE from a local PD - they were super helpful & had sold another before mine.

The police chief also picked me up at the airport and gave me a ex-AF suburban to drive around town until I was ready to go!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks