• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-804b no voltage/hz issue

cpainter20

I have two 804b 15k 50/60hz gen set that puts out no voltage or hz. The circuit interrupter does not stay closed and I have a fault light of under voltage. In my experience normally its always the voltage regulator. I have changed that out on both but that did not fix the problem. I checked the resistor on the back of the 50/60hz switch and that reads fine. I did check the voltage on the volt reg coming from the T1 transformer and it was low. I checked the ohms on the T1 and that was low too. The likely hood of the transformer going bad is slim, but I know it does happen. Any suggestions that I might be missing? Maybe a relay or diode.

grimlock97

Just curious but did you ever figure this out? I am having the same issue of no voltage with the under voltage light on with a mep 804a with only 5 hours on it after restoration. Thanks for any info.

Guyfang

Staff member
Concentrate on getting Excitation. If your S-1 is bad, the exciter will not send voltage to the Main Alternator. Are you guys able to use the schematics? Or, better asked, do you have the schematics? If so, follow the path from the S-1 to the exciter.

Last edited:

grimlock97

I downloaded the TMs this morning and was looking them over. There is a schematic in there, I will have to look it over after work, everything else seems to function on here, just low voltage warning, and when plugging something like a grinder in it only runs at a quarter speed, so I know the light is doing what it's supposed to and inform me that there is low voltage, also the voltage dial does not change the voltage on any setting. I just picked this generator up last week and I'm trying to learn everything about it. thanks for the reply

Guyfang

Staff member
Grimlock,

There is a color coded schematic in the thread listing, in the TM section, "All the tms you need to work on the MEP-802 and 803". Its larger then the schematic in the original TM, (easier on the eyes) and of course color coded. Much easier to use.

Also, if the Hertz is low, the motor speed of your grinder will be low. That is what really controls speed. Frequency, not voltage. If you are producing enough voltage to run a grinder, even at low speed, it means your excitor is lighting off the Main gen. You need to see what voltage you have at the load terminals, (Not the 110 volt outlet) and more important, what the Frequency, (hertz) you also have. If T-1 one is bad, the meter doesn't work right, but the output will be more or less normal. If your multi-meter doesn't read Hertz, go borrow one that does.

Could you perhaps describe just what the set does, and not does, a tad better? Do you hear the engine speed go up, when you twist the engine speed knob to the right? Does it go down when you turn it to the left? Give us more info,

grimlock97

Weirdest thing just happened. I went to barn to start troubleshooting set and I cranked it up and everything is working as it should. At first the undervoltage light was still on, I pressed the reset/test lights and the undervoltage light went of. This unit was just restored and now only has 6 hours on it, is it possible it needs to be broken in or anything or is there still an issue lurking. Thanks for your time

Guyfang

Staff member
I just had a thought. If the undervoltage relay tripped, and you did not reset the fault indicator, then its possible the set was still in the fail mode and would not light off the main A.C.

grimlock97

The ground fault circuit interrupter also was not working properly at first, would that also be a symptom of fail mode. Everything seems to be working as it should now. Thanks again

Guyfang

Staff member
Grimlock,

TEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And test again. Seldom will a problem just "go away". Put the set under load. Run it for a few hours. Step the load up, down and up again. Make sure its good to go.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
+1 on the test and test concept. I had a MEP831 that ran OK but not great when I got it. I tweaked the speed controller setup and got it dialed in.. I'm thinking GREAT! And it was great for an hour. After an hour or so the speed controller freaked out. Cool it down and it runs perfectly again then BAM, goes crazy. {sigh}

Anyway, test the crap out of that thing.

grimlock97

I plan on testing it but I'm not sure I have anything that will put the set under a load. Can I plug anything 110 up to it? I have a 110 mig welder and air compressor which is about the only thing I have that may put a load on it.

Guyfang

Staff member
You know the real deal Chris. I have had new parts, in the wrapper come to me bad. You just never know. No job left the shop without running at full load for a few hours.

Billy2642

To the OP, where did you find your new voltage regulator? I have 2 of these machines that need them but it seems the 15kw VR kits aren't as easily accessible as the 30 and 60kw machines. Any guidance is greatly appreciated

C pope

I have the same problem. Were you ever able to figure the problem out? Engine runs great but low voltage light. On a 1997 mep-804a . Any help is appreciated.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks