• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-804b no voltage/hz issue

Billy2642

I have t even had a chance to work on that specific machine yet. I've sold over 60 machines this year and I only do it as a side gig (I'm active duty Army). Hopefully with this long weekend I'll get a chance to work on it

DeiottesWest

If no one has any objections, I'd like to jump in with a similar problem. 2009 MEP-804B. Upon start up, Under Voltage alarm indicated on Malfunction Indicator Panel. I am able to reset the alarm and it does not reoccur. At this point, the generator runs fine and all outputs check good. I am able to adjust output voltages up or down and can verify the change with the DMM. Also, adjusting frequency up/down corresponds to an increase or decrease in engine RPM. Output waveforms look good on the O-scope. Generator runs fine while under load test alarm free. This alarm occurs on every start up. Any flow chart or schematic guidance would be greatly appreciated. Merci'.

Guyfang

Staff member
Are you holding the S1 in the start position long enough? This is a very common fault.

When you try and start it, and get the fault, what readings do you have on the meter?

After starting, and you get the fault, have you simply tried pushing S1 back up into the start position, WITHOUT resetting the fault? If so, what happened?

Last edited:

DeiottesWest

Are you holding the S1 in the start position long enough? This is a very common fault.

When you try and start it, and get the fault, what readings do you have on the meter?

After starting, and you get the fault, have you simply tried pushing S1 back up into the start position, WITHOUT resetting the fault? If so, what happened?
Thank you. I will take note of these two items on the next start up.

Jackcdubose

MEP 8904b

Concentrate on getting Excitation. If your S-1 is bad, the exciter will not send voltage to the Main Alternator. Are you guys able to use the schematics? Or, better asked, do you have the schematics? If so, follow the path from the S-1 to the exciter.
Guy,

Did run your test and looks like I need a new Rotary switch. Haven't been able to find one anywhere online. Do you have any ideas where I might fine one ?

Jack

robertsears1

Moreso on the older sets like 002s and 003s, not as much on the 80x series but worth checking. It seems like the rotary switches need to be exercised and cleaned sometimes. Get a can of DeOxit from ebay (tuner cleaner may work if it is still made), douch it real good into every crevice/hole while working it (like 50 times) without forcing it if it resists and sometimes it cleans and lubricates the contacts. Don’t take it apart unless you really like puzzles and have a photographic memory (or took lots of pictures) and have 4 tiny hands and can locate things when it shoots across the room. I took a similar switch apart from a militay American Kleaner hotsy type washer and actually got it back together. I took another one apart and it is still in a can in a million parts. WD40 also seemed to lubricate the action. Do the other two rotary switches on the panel while you are at it but don’t be a gorilla. Yes, sometimes the switches do break but try this first, you may get lucky. The 80x (at least 804a,b have that door that swings down providing protection as long as the previous idiot left it down and not up.

Robert

Guyfang

Staff member
Jack,

Take a picture of the S1. There are 3 different types. MK 1&2 switches were not very reliable. They were made from plastic and were open to dust intrusion. The MK 3 was sealed, and I have NEVER seen or heard of one failing.

Try looking these numbers up in a auction web site.
Part number: 75902LV, NSN: 5930-01-531-2976

Jackcdubose

MEP 8904b

Jack,

Take a picture of the S1. There are 3 different types. MK 1&2 switches were not very reliable. They were made from plastic and were open to dust intrusion. The MK 3 was sealed, and I have NEVER seen or heard of one failing.

Try looking these numbers up in a auction web site.
Part number: 75902LV, NSN: 5930-01-531-2976
Mine has the blue outer cover

jmenende

Concentrate on getting Excitation. If your S-1 is bad, the exciter will not send voltage to the Main Alternator. Are you guys able to use the schematics? Or, better asked, do you have the schematics? If so, follow the path from the S-1 to the exciter.
Hello, what is S-1?

jmenende

S1 is the engine control switch 1?

Zed254

Check the TM for your machine. Operator's manual will describe all the nomenclature. Also, S1 may be labeled on the back of your control panel cover....mine is on my 803

Guyfang

Staff member
Check the TM for your machine. Operator's manual will describe all the nomenclature. Also, S1 may be labeled on the back of your control panel cover....mine is on my 803
Yes it's the start switch.
You also have schematics on the gen set door, for quick referance.
Yes S1 is labeled on the back of every control panel, on every gen set I have ever seen.

Might be a good idea to start your thread, if you want max help in the forum. That way we do not have to tell 2-3 different folks on the same thread what to check.

Would also suggest reading the TM's. They can be downloaded here in SS TM section.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks