• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M151A1 New to the fleet here in SoCal

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey All:

Just got this M151 today and was wondering if anyone would like to say what's on their mind about it. I have restored a WWII Dodge WC-43 and repainted and maintain a 1968 M35A2. I will start restoring this jeep in a few months after I take care of some loose ends and sell the WC-43. I can do the body work myself. It looks like an un-cut body, although it has been hacked up a little. I also have the correct 2-piece windshield, seat frames, and a few other of the obvious missing body pieces. The guy I bought it from seems to have lost the rear axle shafts (half-shafts?), so I need a set of those. The ID plate shows original ownership by the US Navy; the paint seems to be 24087, although I think I see some bits of haze gray by the front bumper. Am wondering if USMC M151's were owned by the Navy or had direct ownership? What's the deal with the bright green paint on the engine and radiator? EDIT: I now have the drive shafts.

Attachments

Last edited:

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some paint pics:
IMG_1247_edit.jpg IMG_1249_edit_web.jpg These are on the inside of the -A1 windshield

No hood numbers, original seems to be USMC forest green (I sprayed on some 24087 at top):
IMG_1260_web.jpg Guess this hood was a replacement

Last edited:

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FLAT-TOWING TO STORAGE
IMG_1413_edit_web.jpg
Medium tow bar

IMG_1420_edit_web.jpg
Wheels turned wrong by themselves,
had to have a friend steer it to the
temporary place.

IMG_1425_edit_web.jpg

IMG_1432_edit_web.jpg

Whiterabbit

They all will turn to full lock while towing. Big heavy rubber bungee cord wrapped around lower spoke on the steering wheel to the seat helps stop that. That was standard practice when we'd flat tow 'em in the Army.
Always love driving trucks with skull n crossbones warnings! :shock:

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's the builder's / data plate after I spruced it up:
IMG_2634_edit.jpg

I cleaned it with white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide (about 50% - 50%) and then sprayed it with flat black; gave it a slight curve, convex to the front, and then sanded it slowly with 600 grit emery cloth. Lastly I coated it with clear lacquer.

Soaking in vinegar:
IMG_1331_edit.jpg

It took 3 washes, and I think if you leave it in too long or wash too many times it will probably start pitting the surface a lot, so you have to watch it.

Last edited:

Viper8

Thanks for the interesting tip on restoring a data plate! I have a couple of GTBs whose data plates need lots of TLC - I'll try your process. Looks like a really nice result!!

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Prospector- I see you're in Hesperia- I work in Pearblossom. Hope to transfer down to San Bernardino within the year. I also have an M35A2 w/w that I drive around at least once a month (but not up to the high desert!).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks