• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bumper markings

gunboy1656

No markings on mine yet. I have the stencils, just not painted them on. My markings are for the truck I drove while in service. The unit however has been renamed since I left.

dependable

Back when I was buying a lot of CUCVs on GL, about half of them still had their bumper markings,about half had been spray painted over. Two of the three I still have in camo have their original markings intact. One is MA NG and the other one is MD NG, I think.

Attachments

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
NO ONE but the truck owner KNOWS if the marking are real or not, they could be your wifes birthday, the truck you had in vn, your dads WW2 truck, ect, ect, ect, ONLY a MORON would throw a fit INSTEAD of ASKING., This is something so far down the priority list, it is not even there. As long the markings are in good taste, not a worry, now if you have some IDIOT put "I love 69" as markings, or worse, WILL get my immediate comment to the owner.

FloridaAKM

My truck came out of DRMO completely repainted, so the bumper markings are not there. When I figure out what to put there, it will be stenciled there in black paint...........nothing vulgar or obsecene.

bchauvette

This is something so far down the priority list, it is not even there. As long the markings are in good taste, not a worry,
This is exactly what I was thinking while he was yelling and screaming. Was thinking he had a major parade to organize why is he taking what so much of the little time he had to this. There is something we don't understand about this guy very very bizarre behavior. My personal theory is that he had too much adult beverage. Still no excuse for him acting that way.

therooster2001

FNG question here, I don't understand the issue the Marshall had with the marking. Was his point that any military unit bumper markings were on it? Is that illegal?

Is it a problem with it being active?

Last edited:

bchauvette

This COULD be the scenario. Maybe the SC National Guard general noticed the markings as the truck passed him and remarked to the Marshall that wasn't his truck ,the truck had SC NG markings, being chemically enhanced the Marshall flew of the handle. As metioned earlier in talking to the general he didn't appeared to be overly concerned. Again had the Marshal asked us with due repect to cover the markings we wold have been happy to do so.

Keep in mind Andy and I are both veterans. We are part of the group this parade is supposed to be honoring!

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My vehicles have all had bumper numbers painted on them. Some were there when I bought them, some were units I used to belong to (whether still active or not) and the wife's IDF M37 will have Israeli markings on it as soon as I can find someone to paint them on.

I believe I would have politely told the parade goon to back off and if he didn't, simply turn away and ignore him. I'm sure he was being judged appropriately by those around.

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Meh. There're a LOT of people who make up rules, laws, and interrupt contracts based on either how they wish things worked or in a manner that makes sense to them. (Or a manner that Hollywood has convinced them is true.)

I tend to take one pass at education, then flip the ignore bit and move on. occasionally this leads to an interesting encounter with law enforcement, but generally not.

FrankUSMC

Been collecting military vehicles for over 40 years, never had any trouble with bumper markings. This is just one person in a bad mood.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have reviewed the regulation concerning bumper markings and camouflage, I never recall anything about removal upon disposition. It have to be in the regulations covering disposal/disposition-ing of equipment.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't see a problem with it. In fact, I prefer more accurate HMVs. I don't have bumper numbers on any of my current vehicles just because I don't feel the need right now. But when I had a 5 ton I painted the markings of the 5 ton I "owned" when I commanded a company. My former company was and still is an active duty Army unit and I matched the numbers on my M813 as close as I could to the M1083 5 ton I had in my company.

I've never seen anything in writing that states it's illegal or even discouraged to paint military bumper numbers on privately owned vehicles. I challenge anyone that says it's forbidden to show me the law that says so. Military markings are varied and at times incredibly non-standard. I don't see how a law or regulation could definitively state what you can or cannot paint on the bumper of a historic military vehicle.

jpg

My truck has its original markings, including "US ARMY CU0222 Official Use Only", "MS-TMP-06", etc. The First Amendment protects my right to paint anything I like on my truck. There are limits, but those limits don't involve anything that interests me. I see this as me preserving a small piece of our history, and I intend to keep it as accurate as I can.

DoD regulations apply to Service Members and the people who live and work on DoD facilities, not to non-DoD civilians. We civilians have to obey laws against Stolen Valor, Impersonating an Official, etc. None of that applies here. We have to obey DoD rules on DoD facilities, but that's mostly about traffic rules and proper vehicle paperwork.

No one with a clue will look at a truck with civilian plates and think it's an active military vehicle. No one with a clue will look at an out-of-shape old graybeard like me and think I'm trying to impersonate anyone, with the possible exception of Santa Claus.

It is certainly possible for us to offend people. I wince a little every time someone refers to this group as SS. But common sense and common courtesy should satisfy anyone with the slightest clue.

Idiots like the Parade Organizer who berated the OP, well, they exist, and there is no known cure. When someone gets in my face like that, I find myself struggling not to laugh, which seems to only further infuriate them. I coach my kids to deescalate and disengage. Failing that, ask to speak to a supervisor. There's no point in allowing a tantrum to escalate into a physical confrontation.

For the OP, I think a letter to the organization is definitely in order. It's the veterans that would lose out when stupidity like this prevails, and I *really* make an effort to make sure they don't lose out. But sometimes, stupid wins. Especially in politics.

steelandcanvas

My Deuce has the same unit bumper numbers I had on the Deuce I was assigned to in Germany from '75 to '77. Any comments about the numbers have all been positive especially after informing people the history of the numbers. I have them on my truck to honor that unit and my Brothers in arms that I served with in that unit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks