• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bumper markings

bchauvette

Asking for the Boss always seams to change the attitude of the offensive person.
He was the Boss. Having difficulty finding out what his everyday county job is and who he reports to. But I got that covered. Because of my affiliation with a Veterans support group I've been introduced to all the county councilmen and woman. The Vice Chair General Kirven and me hit it off. Probably because our group was there for the benefit of the veterans. He has a reputation of "Taking care of his troops". A factual non inflammatory letter to him is being formulated as we speak.

We did try to DE-escalate but he was in fit a rage. No way would he listen to reason. I'm not the kind to go around screaming a yelling but nobody treats my buds like that, time came to shut it down. Then and there I vowed to myself that he will not be doing that to anybody else ever again. That is why I'm pursuing disciplinary action as far as it will go.

mcmullag

Bulldogmack13 and I have run with his units' marking on our deuces and5 tons in parades and displays for 5 years and never had a problem.

I think the public thinks we are from Ft. Carson at the South end of town here. We have even gone on base to flat tow other trucks off the GL lot and the soldiers think it is cool that the trucks can be privately owned.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Our Deuce was acquired from a rural VFD. They had gotten directly out of a fresh rebuild at Toole, Utah and it had not been assigned to a new unit at that time. Therefore, it had no bumper numbers coming out of DRMO. The VFD subsequently converted her into a brushfire truck and painted her red.

Once we got her, I did a quick rattle-can camo job on her loosely following the TM for camo patterns that matched the M35A3 Bed that we acquired to restore her to a cargo/troop carrier truck. I also followed the US Army TM for the creation of a FICTICIOUS but "truthful" set of identifying numbers.

2011-06-18 Juneteenth Parade COSA 007.jpg

As you can see in this photo, the RIGHT SIDE shows:

BARIOU : My last name, per TM I'm the unit responsible for daily ops including checking oil, tire pressures, etc.
ARK-1 : Vehicle Functional Designator for positioning/prioritizing in a convoy column. In this case COMPLETELY FREELANCE: ARK-1 = Acts of Random Kindness #1.

On the LEFT SIDE:
USAF : The branch of service in which I served.
6971 SS : The Squadron in which I served - 6970th Air Base Group, 6971st Security Squadron (Intell Ops) assigned to the National Security Agency, Ft. George G. Meade, Maryland (1976-1979)

This vehicle is registered in the Great State of Texas as a FORMER MILITARY VEHICLE and as such carries NO LICENSE PLATES. Its registration is simply filed as a PHOTO of the rear of the vehicle where these same bumper numbers are displayed. (See the Texas FMV LAWS thread)

Additionally, this vehicle is often driven onto Goodfellow Air Force Base, and I have had to voluntarily stop at the gate after being waved through - the gate guards seem to think she's still active duty in spite of my civilian clothes and the fact that I've checked in at the visitor's point of entry. I have NEVER attempted to enter under false pretense.

During vaious functions I have often carried active and retired military personnel including senior enlisted and command officers including the GAFB Training Wing (Base) Commander (Col.), the Commander of the AETC (4-Star General), and several retired 2- & 3- Stars who are retired here in San Angelo, Texas. I've also played around with the truck in the company of the Army, Navy, Marine and Coast Guard Commanders of the tenant units at Goodfellow AFB. ABSOLUTELY NONE OF THEM has ever questioned the bumper numbers, but ALL have enjoyed the civilian MV experience and expressed at least some envy of private ownership.

I hope this input helps with your research.
Please feel free to ask any questions I might be able to answer.

John

Last edited:

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have fictitious numbers on my deuce same as John. (Serve as a license plate, reg. as FMV in TX) I have been in several parades (mostly Veteran's Day parades) with that one. The only problem I have had is with uninformed LEO's pulling me over to question the lack of plates/registration stickers.

My M927 still has the original markings from Ft Bliss. I have been back on post, as well as an Air Force base to do recoveries with it and have not had any issues related to the markings. That is to say, not even a few extra seconds for a gate guard to process that fact. And I can say that getting on to that Air Force base involved waiting for a background check on me, but they could care less about the truck.

atomoros

Mine had markings when I got it from GL in Delaware. I found out that the local Guard Unit is also part of the Unit that the truck was assigned to. I left the markings on as a way of respecting the local Unit. On the other side of the bumper, I added an "HQ" stencil and name and number specific to me.

Jakob1944

Our Deuce was acquired from a rural VFD. They had gotten directly out of a fresh rebuild at Toole, Utah and it had not been assigned to a new unit at that time. Therefore, it had no bumper numbers coming out of DRMO. The VFD subsequently converted her into a brushfire truck and painted her red.

Once we got her, I did a quick rattle-can camo job on her loosely following the TM for camo patterns that matched the M35A3 Bed that we acquired to restore her to a cargo/troop carrier truck. I also followed the US Army TM for the creation of a FICTICIOUS but "truthful" set of identifying numbers.

View attachment 560479

As you can see in this photo, the RIGHT SIDE shows:

BARIOU : My last name, per TM I'm the unit responsible for daily ops including checking oil, tire pressures, etc.
ARK-1 : Vehicle Functional Designator for positioning/prioritizing in a convoy column. In this case COMPLETELY FREELANCE: ARK-1 = Acts of Random Kindness #1.

On the LEFT SIDE:
USAF : The branch of service in which I served.
6971 SS : The Squadron in which I served - 6970th Air Base Group, 6971st Security Squadron (Intell Ops) assigned to the National Security Agency, Ft. George G. Meade, Maryland (1976-1979)

This vehicle is registered in the Great State of Texas as a FORMER MILITARY VEHICLE and as such carries NO LICENSE PLATES. Its registration is simply filed as a PHOTO of the rear of the vehicle where these same bumper numbers are displayed. (See the Texas FMV LAWS thread)

Additionally, this vehicle is often driven onto Goodfellow Air Force Base, and I have had to voluntarily stop at the gate after being waved through - the gate guards seem to think she's still active duty in spite of my civilian clothes and the fact that I've checked in at the visitor's point of entry. I have NEVER attempted to enter under false pretense.

During vaious functions I have often carried active and retired military personnel including senior enlisted and command officers including the GAFB Training Wing (Base) Commander (Col.), the Commander of the AETC (4-Star General), and several retired 2- & 3- Stars who are retired here in San Angelo, Texas. I've also played around with the truck in the company of the Army, Navy, Marine and Coast Guard Commanders of the tenant units at Goodfellow AFB. ABSOLUTELY NONE OF THEM has ever questioned the bumper numbers, but ALL have enjoyed the civilian MV experience and expressed at least some envy of private ownership.

I hope this input helps with your research.
Please feel free to ask any questions I might be able to answer.

John

Now that's a "Deuce and ah half".....nice truck

SSGHillbilly

So far we have not gotten any "no I don't dare put any bumper markings"

How do I research D.O.D regulation or lack of? Maybe somebody to do it for a small fee?
Contact the military police school in Mo. But I think they may have moved the M.P. School to Ft. bending now?
im not sure they even would have the correct answer because the laws have changed so much regarding military surplus vehicles for civilian usage now. Theirs military vehicles. By the tens of thousands out on the road now.
although it still may follow under the demilitarization laws? Even though as petty and technical as that is, most people won’t give a crap.

SSGHillbilly

I don't see a problem with it. In fact, I prefer more accurate HMVs. I don't have bumper numbers on any of my current vehicles just because I don't feel the need right now. But when I had a 5 ton I painted the markings of the 5 ton I "owned" when I commanded a company. My former company was and still is an active duty Army unit and I matched the numbers on my M813 as close as I could to the M1083 5 ton I had in my company.

I've never seen anything in writing that states it's illegal or even discouraged to paint military bumper numbers on privately owned vehicles. I challenge anyone that says it's forbidden to show me the law that says so. Military markings are varied and at times incredibly non-standard. I don't see how a law or regulation could definitively state what you can or cannot paint on the bumper of a historic military vehicle.
This is true to a point they varied over the years, now you can barely even see them they are black and so small

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks