• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I have my first MV an M170 with a split large gun window I'm restoring, new at this,

dfriscokid1

Hi guys, I'm new here and to the restoration of military vehicles. I was looking for a little help answering some questions if you don't mind. I bought a 1955m170 that the body is fair, needs seats and has different and needs some of the misc things, unfortunately it does not have the original engine in it, it has a Buick v6 that does run great. I've rebuilt the steering box and put military tires back on it and bead blasted the rims and replaced one, but the kicker is it has a split gun windshield that appears to be original and holes where in the bed where it appears to have had a large object, possibly a recoilless rifle in it. I've been searching and only found the m38 with the gun configuration. First question, does anyone out there know if were any m170's with the gun instead of the ambulance or radio configuration? The second question is can anyone tell if it's possible and if how to find out it's history, such as how it was configured, when it went into service, where it was, and when it was retired? Thanks for any help and putting up with my questions, the new guy, Aaron
:driver:

1955 M170
Aaron
Littleton, CO

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome Aaron. I'm nearly certain that your ambulance never had a recoilless rifle in it. Someone had the split windshield and found a home for it. Your only hope for esablishing what unit your Jeep was assigned to is careful sanding of the front bumper and rear bumperettes for unit markings.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the off chance that it was a one-off, or a prototype, it might be wise to not permanently change or eradicate the traces of what might have been an interesting past. It would be a shame to do so, then in a year or two find an old picture of your vehicle with some neat stuff mounted!
Put that split windshield away somewhere safe. ;)

Cheers

mutt1966

Easy way to see if it was ever mounted look for holes in the bed of the M170, Ill have to say I doubt it if there was one mounted but Ive been doing this long enough that anything is possible... Scott O&O

dfriscokid1

Thank you, it has holes in the bed, are you familiar with how many it would normally have and anything esle that would be a tell tale sign of a gun. If you have any tips on where to look for any history on the vehicle I'd sure appreciate it, thanks again, Aaron

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the VIN on the frame rail and make sure it matches the one on the data plate. Could be someone had a data plate and title but not a jeep so "created" one. Pics would be beneficial to us "visually" needful.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks