• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 Cab Hardtop vs. GMA insulated soft top

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Ok I am thinking of plans for my newer Air Force truck. One of my first things I am looking at is perhaps removing the hardtop for a GMA insulated three color soft top. I already have the soft top frame, and really like the idea of a soft top for summer use. I have seen good reviews for the GMA cover in the past. Anyone want to compare their experiences between the two as far a noise, leakage, and in general what they think of them?

OSO

My old 5ton M139 bridge support truck 1953 I was trying to bid on a hardtop . Went over my bid . Was pricing out GMA soft tops around $178.00 plus shipping . Don't know if they are insulated or not . When I get my head gaskets done and it holds water in the cooling system ,then and only then I will buy a new soft top. [thumbzup]

greensix

I have both hard top and gma soft top. I do not see any difference in noise level or heating in winter it is alot more easy getting soft top back to use my gun ring than taking hard top on and off. the gma top is insulated pretty good

DavidB

Soft top preferred for things like , gun rings, reducing height lowering wind shield and topless cruising around town.
Hard top good to mount lights inside and out,or a big heavy thing to fight on and off.
I prefer canvas on my trucks (Vietnam era restorations) but do have one hard top put away for ?
DavidB

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are about the same, although the hard top is a bit more quiet and does insulate the cab better. It really comes down to personal preference. I, too, like to take the soft tops off of my trucks. However, it does not happen often...ESPECIALLY in the summer. The time for a soft top is the fall or spring. A soft top is fine in the summer, but you are probably not going to take it off to bake in the 90+ degree heat/sun. I like GMA products. Again, it comes down to your personal preference. There are guys that won't consider a truck without a hard top. I personally prefer the soft tops.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bikini top is great in the Summer. Roll up the back of a soft top and find out for yourself.

Note avatar, bikini top painted white to reflect the sun, works great.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've always preferred canvas. Every hardtop I've ever had I took off and gotten rid of. Back about 6 or 7 years ago I needed a top kinda quick and had to settle for one of those darn vinyl covers. Since putting that vinyl top on, I've never had anything else. Canvas lasts 2 to 3 years here max. Vynil tops are much better and much cooler in the blazing FL sun.

vinny-socom1

I like the idea of a Bikini top!! I think I know where a 3 color GMA top is thats torn in the rear???? maybe it will make a nice project..I can always add it to my list, it seems to get longer and longer every day.. Vinny

JDToumanian

Canvas lasts 2 to 3 years here max.
Why so short? What's the failure mode, mildew / rot from moisture or sun damage? I'm concerned that the desert sun here will destroy canvas quickly, but after a year mine still looks good. I have canvak, but I'm interested in any canvas preservation tips.

When mine starts to tear, I'll sew it up but when it gets brittle I may try painting it like Bjorn... maybe I'll get another year out of it that way...

Jon

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm thinking it was the sun. It was stil looking good but you could just poke a finger right through.

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used canvas once and treated it with Canvak canvas conditioner. 3-4 years max in the same sun as Florida gets and it looked real good but could poke your finger thru it.

At the same time I had a USED vinyl top exposed for the same length of time and never treated it with anything!

The vinyl is still good and I will only use the vinyl from now on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks