• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Acquired a Military surplus load bank

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Here is a visual collection of 1 phase MEP generator and Essex Electro a427 load bank connections.

1 phase MEP switch setup.jpg1 phase lug connections.jpg

I should point out that the copper shorting link (on load bank) is placed on terminals L1 + L2 + L3, your hots are then connected to L0 + a linked stud. and ground of course
1 phase load bank connection 1.jpg1 phase load bank connection 2.jpg

The internal connector is on the upper mount for 1 phase.
1 phase load bank connection 3.jpg
and the switch is up for high voltage select.
1 phase load bank switch setup.jpg

Last edited:

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Here is a visual collection of 3 phase MEP generator and Essex Electro a427 load bank connections.

3 phase MEP switch setup.jpg3 phase lug connections.jpg

The shorting link is stowed on side and not used in 3 phase.
3 phase load bank connection 1.jpg
The connection is changed to the lower mount for 3 phase.
3 phase load bank connection 2.jpg
The switch is then down on Low voltage select
3 phase load bank switch setup.jpg

Last edited:

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Wire set used.
6awg THHN stranded wire
6awg THHN stranded wire set.jpg
4/4 SOOW flexible cord set
4-4 SOOW flexible cord setup.jpg
8ft ground rod connection
8ft ground rod connection.jpg

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
A quick video of a MEP-802A 3 phase Essex a427 load bank run.
starts out with a 3kw load with 9 amps per leg, then to 6kw load with 17.5 amps per leg, then to around 8kw load with 23 amps per leg.

Last edited:

ZackMan

Howdy,
A quick video of a MEP-802A 3 phase Essex a427 load bank run.
starts out with a 3kw load with 9 amps per leg, then to 6kw load with 17.5 amps per leg, then to around 8kw load with 23 amps per leg.

https://youtu.be/FA0jvnN7Ikw
Mike,

Thank you for your thorough conveyance of this information. It will be extremely helpful to a novice like me. It is obvious to me, not knowing much about this military equipment, that you are technically proficient with this type of equipment. I have always understood more thoroughly by looking at pictures and the ones you posted will be a great asset in my education.

Do you instruct or teach as a profession?

Tom

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike,

Thank you for your thorough conveyance of this information. It will be extremely helpful to a novice like me. It is obvious to me, not knowing much about this military equipment, that you are technically proficient with this type of equipment. I have always understood more thoroughly by looking at pictures and the ones you posted will be a great asset in my education.

Do you instruct or teach as a profession?

Tom
Howdy,
No, I do not teach.
I do not like texting type answers. If you are going to give a answer, give a full and complete thought and add your experience and knowledge along with your answer. I read the manual when I first got the load bank. They really briefed over the connection information. Through my use, and playing around now loading single and 3 phase, I know what needs to be where. :)

That is also why I am working my MEP-802A so much and so hard. I want to get it up to at least 100 broke in hours.

That is also why I purchased the load bank. I can keep my generators tested and ready. After attempting to rent a portable load bank. The rental fee was big $$$$. I decided it was cheaper to buy a military surplus load bank.

ZackMan

Howdy,
No, I do not teach.
I do not like texting type answers. If you are going to give a answer, give a full and complete thought and add your experience and knowledge along with your answer. I read the manual when I first got the load bank. They really briefed over the connection information. Through my use, and playing around now loading single and 3 phase, I know what needs to be where. :)

That is also why I am working my MEP-802A so much and so hard. I want to get it up to at least 100 broke in hours.

That is also why I purchased the load bank. I can keep my generators tested and ready. After attempting to rent a portable load bank. The rental fee was big $$$$. I decided it was cheaper to buy a military surplus load bank.
Mike,

You are most certainly on target in regard to reading the TMs. It is a worthwhile adventure and I now will have a better understanding when I continue to research them. Thanks again!!!

Tom

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice test, good work! Where did you come up with the time interval between increasing/decreasing the load?
Howdy,
After reading, reading, and more reading. I figured out my own ideas of loading and timeframes. The above 100% loading is very limited in time, and timing. I also only load over 100% with Battle Short on. If I hit overload, or something, I want power to continue to the load bank. I do not need it to burn up due to having the resistors hot, and the fans all of a sudden stop.

sample process;
start unit
idle for maybe 3 minutes. Start seeing the temp gauge moving above 135, I start putting around a 20% load on.
operating temp time
start in with a mild 50% load
move to a 80% load
move to a 100% load
move to a overload condition, battle short on, 125-133% load, watch unit, sounds, temps, general appearance of exhaust. The time frame is usually around 5-12 minutes
move to 75% load
gradually moving down to 0% load while the load bank fans continue to blow and cool unit. When temp from the load bank is then cool, then open the circuit interrupter, and shut down.

Most load bank runs will be for at least 2 hours or more.

gdg111

Hi Mike: I have an MEP 005 and I have it setup to run my home as secondary/backup power supply. It is a great unit. Where could I get a setup like you have - that load bank is just what I need. Dom you happen to know what the max output for amps the MEP 005 has. Any help is greatly appreciated - Douglas

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Your probably better off starting a new thread with your quest.

MEP-005A generator 30KW 3 phase, do a search and get the manuals.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Are there any members which have a military load bank?

ZackMan

Hi CT-Mike,

As a result of a successful Ebay bid, the total I paid inclusive of shipping from California to Virginia was a little over $2400.00

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking about using multiple 5k and 10k 3 phase heat strip units in a duct with a very good blower. It is cold in my warehouse :) I don't think I can afford a real tester.

Guyfang

Staff member
You are a lucky Dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man, a A427!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Life doesn't get any better than that! I made a small trailer out of angle irom, nice tube tires and was it nice to pull around the shop. I had four more on a rack, to test the 150 KW turbine generators. Oh were they good load banks. Just be sure to keep the air inlets free of dirt, leaves and other crap. When the air inflow is blocked, a micro switch shuts that heater down. The others will continue to draw. Now you need to find a nice piece of cable, and put some lugs on one end, and tin the leads on the other. OH, and please GROUND the load bank. A good friend of mine had serious health problems after he didnt tighten the ground wire up tight. His heart was damage to the point that he went into early retirement at 38 years of age. Nearly killed him.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks