• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Acquired a Military surplus load bank

Ratch

In the quest for load for my MEP-803a, I decided to build one into the machine. It's tough to see pics, but as I did other work "under the hood", I bought kiln heating wire, and coiled it in front of the radiator. Wire it into an additional contactor or the output lugs directly, and you have an instant built in load.

This is the heating wire I used. $10 to cover 3 machines... (3) 3kw coils. The coils look like tightly wound springs for shipping, but I stretch them out a bit to avoid overheating them.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EZII95G?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

Being in front of the radiator gives it the advantage of constant air flow, and the safety of the exposed wire being out of reach (it's safer than opening the door to the power lugs). So far, in 8 months of weather exposure, it's not showing signs of rust.
The catch to this...I haven't actually tried it yet. I wanted to get the top on and machine ready for action fast, and ever since, I haven't had the time to take the top off to wire in the coil the way I wanted it (through a breaker).

The coil would be electrified (not to mention red hot), so it should be on ceramic standoffs.
Like these:
http://www.amazon.com/Fi-Shock-MP-6...d=1452554373&sr=8-13&keywords=wire+insulators

Here's kinda how mine looks installed:
WP_20160110_004.jpg

WP_20160110_003.jpg

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
You need to keep us informed on this. Sounds interesting. The old DED, 15, 30 and 60 KW's used to have a loadbank mounted on top of the generator set. Looked like a coffin. Good heaters, but always looked like crap, because the stupid CARC paint got hot and pealed off. The metal rusted. Keep an eye on yours if the ambient air is humid.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
The MEP-802A has John Deere Break-In oil in it. Or, had, during that video. I have been working the MEP-802A to get it up over 100 hours and broken in. Time to change all the filters, and oil. Now onto John Deere Plus-50 II 15w-40.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Here is a picture of the MEP-803A exhaust manifold temperature location I take my reading from. About middle of manifold in the center by the muffler.
MEP-803A exhaust temp reading.jpg

Guyfang

Staff member
Ahab,

Have you ever seen a 60's or 70's PS MAG? Connie and Bonny were, how shall I say this? More shapely? Somewhat "simpler dressed?" The Nam issues were much more interesting.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Breaking in another low hour MEP-802A with loads between 80%-100%.
more to follow.:)

Chainbreaker

Howdy,

For those interested, and possibly on the west coast. A member here has some Essex A427 load banks he is selling. Gilroy, California

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?155144-Load-Bank-Testers-Essex-100
If anyone in PNW (Washington, Oregon) is interested in picking some up and would be passing through Oregon I would be willing to purchase a single unit and share transport costs. I have tractor with pallet forks and could easily pull one off truck or trailer.

Guyfang

Staff member
Well, get 30 or 40 friends to make the trip with you. Everyone put a few parts in their luggage and maybe no one will notice?. Ok, the doors might be a problem.

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there anyone out there that can pick up 2 of them in Gilroy CA and take to fastenal store in town or a freight company. The owner doesn't ship at all! Only local pickup.

I posted for a local delivery person to go out and pickup and take to fastenal. If anyone else would like to do the same we can share a pickup or I can pass you the info on the people providing the service.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks