• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m936a2 few questions

sweetk30

UPDATE : POST #10

........................................................................................

my buddy who owns the wrecker has started reading the tsm books you guys have posted links to .

but he has a few questions to get him started with playing and getting use to his m936.

transfer case in N then tranny in N and shift lever left side pass seat and engage tranny to drive . what gear should he put it in ? 1 only or 1-2 only ? ?

next ?

front winch we cant seem to even get it working . but I haven't crawled under yet to see if cables are moving from incab shifters.

whats the engage protocol ?

and is there a way to install a control valve out by the bumper for the front winch easy or do you remove the incab lever ?

I know some of these have been covered . I am trying to figure this out for him and also do my job at work . so free time is a little hit or miss . thanks for any links or help guys !!! :-D

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Transfer case in neutral shifter in neutral then engage the wrecker pto lever. Once in drive 1 the engine rpms need to be set to 1800 or so. Engine needs to be off to engage front winch lever then truck in neutral to run it. You can't run the front winch and wrecker body at the same time.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Normal driving operation but engine off. Engage front winch pto lever. Start truck leave in neutral. You will want to get the rpms up a bit or you will have a really slow winch. If you turn up the fuel a bit the truck will drive better. Otherwise it's so darn heavy it can't get out of its own way. Great truck for lifting or recovery but I wouldn't want to tow anything with it for any distance.

sweetk30

thanks guys will let him know .

and he got it for recovery jobs we get from time to time you don't wana send a city truck out in to and get stuck also . dumb highway drivers thing just cause there big truck has more than 4 wheels it will go any place . . . . haaa haaa haaa

sweetk30

those tsm papers confuse me . . . . I have hard time with drawn and typed info . if I see pics and videos I am much better .

but I did fre up truck for min - 2 and then shut off. trans in N and shifter lever to engage on front winch . fired up and still nothing .

my rear big lever is down on the frame rail lip for the front winch . but not sure were the little tiny lever its got a shallow grove and deep grove . not sure were its to be . didn't find much in the tsm or I over looked it .

Csm Davis

those tsm papers confuse me . . . . I have hard time with drawn and typed info . if I see pics and videos I am much better .

but I did fre up truck for min - 2 and then shut off. trans in N and shifter lever to engage on front winch . fired up and still nothing .

my rear big lever is down on the frame rail lip for the front winch . but not sure were the little tiny lever its got a shallow grove and deep grove . not sure were its to be . didn't find much in the tsm or I over looked it .
Little lever is the drum lock.

sweetk30

cha ching :jumpin: ........ we got winch . work finaly slowed down a bit today and I checked with another guy and the pto cable @ tranny bracket was poped out / or some dip sh!t didn't hook it back correct when motor was swaped over .

winch does work in/out from the cab now .

so drum lock when in use out / shallow tab or in / deep tab ?

next item I need to dig for . . . . rear drag line winch . . . . is it supost to free wheel ? we flip the little lever between the in/out and high/low levers it goes PSSST and unlocked the level wind pulley . .. but no free wheel . the boss seems to recall when he was testing it before he got it he flipped the lever and it pulled out free wheel . or maybe it was just slack on the drum ? ?

thanks so far guys big help . and the tsm papers get me as there kind of generic and cover all and jump around it seems . need more slow time to dig in I guess.

EDIT : http://www.steelsoldiers.com/upload/939/TM9-2320-272-10.pdf page 232 shows NO mention of free wheel option on rear drag line winch ? ? ? if so this SUCKS !

any input on this ?

Last edited:

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
cha ching :jumpin: ........ we got winch . work finaly slowed down a bit today and I checked with another guy and the pto cable @ tranny bracket was poped out / or some dip sh!t didn't hook it back correct when motor was swaped over .

winch does work in/out from the cab now .

so drum lock when in use out / shallow tab or in / deep tab ?

next item I need to dig for . . . . rear drag line winch . . . . is it supost to free wheel ? we flip the little lever between the in/out and high/low levers it goes PSSST and unlocked the level wind pulley . .. but no free wheel . the boss seems to recall when he was testing it before he got it he flipped the lever and it pulled out free wheel . or maybe it was just slack on the drum ? ?

thanks so far guys big help . and the tsm papers get me as there kind of generic and cover all and jump around it seems . need more slow time to dig in I guess.

EDIT : http://www.steelsoldiers.com/upload/939/TM9-2320-272-10.pdf page 232 shows NO mention of free wheel option on rear drag line winch ? ? ? if so this SUCKS !

any input on this ?
There is no freewheeling on the rear winch. That switch applies pressure when winding in with no load on the cable.

Csm Davis

I also got to thinking . I had trans in just 1st and rpm around 1400 . should be faster if I do like the tsm says and 1-5 so it up shifts correct ?
Seeetk30 if you would read the -10 please, I would answer most anything else you might need clarification on by phone if you wanted. It really is a good read for anyone who has the green fever. And what's cool you can skip around and it won't screw-up the ending. If not at least read the data tags in the truck.

sweetk30

csm davis like I said before there real confusing to me as they cover so many and not in order .

I started at page 225 like someone said and from there down its all over the range of trucks .

would be better if it was a real owners manual for specific truck .

and also I said I don't do good with stuff like that with my learning disability . I do a lot better seeing things first hand or real life picture .

I know and am not nocking there greatness.

I thing someone has removed some data tags in this rig as there wasn't much to find and read in it .

and its my boss's work truck and in my free time @ work I am trying to get stuff figured out as its new to us all. but when work calls I got to go tow .

knelezen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've towed other 5 tons, M35s, and even M915s with the wrecker for very long distances. It works great! Just want to keep top speed while towing around 50 MPH. No faster or things could go to dog door in a hurry.

Monkeyboyarmy

I'm pretty sure that when the wrecker pto is engaged that the transmission automatically shifts to direct or 5th gear when the air pressure is adequate.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm pretty sure that when the wrecker pto is engaged that the transmission automatically shifts to direct or 5th gear when the air pressure is adequate.
That was a MWO IIRC. Mine doesn't have the MWO as many don't. We have to remember to bump up the RPM to 1350-1400 manually or risk damage

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I've towed other 5 tons, M35s, and even M915s with the wrecker for very long distances. It works great! Just want to keep top speed while towing around 50 MPH. No faster or things could go to dog door in a hurry.
Maximum speed per the TM is 35mph. I run 60/65 regularly towing on a towbar. Its whatever you are comfortable with. Also along with the condition of your towbar

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks