• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I have joined the Goat herd

m38inmaine

Trying to do anything on it is a chore, it's all hard to reach, something else is in the way, conventional tools are too long or too short etc, etc.

m38inmaine

There is only one rubber line that actually goes to the round can, it exits the front of the can, goes under the drive shaft and attaches to the driver's side of the engine, all rubber. There is another small rubber line, 12-14" ahead of the can that attaches to the bottom of the air cleaner, attaches to a hard line that runs up to the air cleaner indicator on the dash.

combat32

A very rare (for me) Saturday off so did some goat work today. Finished install on t-case shift levers, replaced shifter and e-brake handle with take offs from a spare t-case.

Of course found troubles, had to re-thread the levers where the shift knob screws on on every one, they were all pretty rusty. My old shift lever was just wore slap out, very loose where the pins go thru, the replacement is much better. Also noticed the u joints in my knuckle between the transfer case and the tranny had no grease zerks, just plugs and it look like they had never been greased, they look ok so added some zerks and should be good to go.

Also a reminder to all don't forget about those two grease zerks on the shifter, hard to see when it is installed, you should be able to see them in this pic.

Attachments

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also noticed the u joints in my knuckle between the transfer case and the tranny had no grease zerks, just plugs and it look like they had never been greased, they look ok so added some zerks and should be good to go.

Also a reminder to all don't forget about those two grease zerks on the shifter, hard to see when it is installed, you should be able to see them in this pic.
When I was greasing mine the first shot pushed the zerk out of the hole. It apparently wasn't threaded on just sitting there. Luckily nothing was stripped and I was able to put it back on and worked fine. There are definitely some that are a bit trying to get to.

combat32

Thanks, my motor has neither of those lines, guess there has been some re-plumbing on mine, do they connect to the air box above the starter?

Last edited:

combat32

The inside of my transmission looks like the inside of m38inmaine"s motor. More bad news, at least this answers the question why it would not shift at all.

There was no oil in it at all, looks like none in there for a long time, this goat gets better and better:(

Attachments

Gamagoat1

The inside of my transmission looks like the inside of m38inmaine"s motor. More bad news, at least this answers the question why it would not shift at all.

There was no oil in it at all, looks like none in there for a long time, this goat gets better and better:(
It's been full of water....

combat32

Yep, but if had at least been half full of 90wt it wouldn't have been a problem.

No pitting on the gears, it might free up ok with some work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks