• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I have joined the Goat herd

combat32

It was good advice from Gamagoat1 to clean out the air reservoir can I got a lot of oil out of mine sure don't want that in the brake drums! And found some more damage, air line on the back wall of the engine compartment is mashed flat in a couple of places, probably from a engine swap at some point in it's life.

Attachments

Last edited:

Artisan

She's a real beaut!

There is an ad in the classifieds for Goat Parts from me, but,
They belong to a guy out Barstow way w/ no internet.
The description is kinda vague, I took dictation over
the phone. If your interested I will put you in touch w/
him directly, SERIOUS ONLY need apply. FWIW, I know
him to usually have a lot more than he describes...
An honorable man he is.

m38inmaine

Tom, the connection for those lines is directly below and centered under the governor housing, it comes out of the block as a T, the drain tube goes straight down and the air line comes out to the right with a tight bend before going down next to the drain tube. You can see the air line bend next to the LH side of the cold start.

Attachments

combat32

She's a real beaut!

There is an ad in the classifieds for Goat Parts from me, but,
They belong to a guy out Barstow way w/ no internet.
The description is kinda vague, I took dictation over
the phone. If your interested I will put you in touch w/
him directly, SERIOUS ONLY need apply. FWIW, I know
him to usually have a lot more than he describes...
An honorable man he is.
Thanks but this goat is makin me poor and California is a long ways away.

combat32

Finally got the cover off the rear steering gearbox, had to drill a couple of the screws out, tell me there is some easy magic way to get those nut-serts out? Do you just hammer them out from the bottom?

And I finally found a part on this truck with original paint, and it has a run in it:shock: They must have been in a hurry at CONDEC that day.

Attachments

m38inmaine

They have a flange on the top so I don't think you can drive them out. I think your best bet is to drill the broken piece out and re-tap the nut.

combat32

My newest dilemma, the hood hinge on my goat was mostly broken. So with the engine out I decided it would be a good time to address it.

But I have been unable to drive out what remains of the pin that runs the length of the hinge, I would need a 6ft drill bit to drill the whole thing out.

Any ideas?

Attachments

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My hood is tweaked to the point it doesn't line up and is difficult to close. Not sure what to do about it since I don't have a parts vehicle to pick from. Doubt I can find a spare hood around here any where.

m38inmaine

I would heat the outer shell of the hinge red hot and with a punch get the pin started out then finish pulling it out with a vise grip.

combat32

Well I decided to go the replacement route so I went up to Ft. Chaffee this morning to salvage the hood off the parts truck.

Had to get my wife to help me, now that's a debt I can never repay if you know what I mean.:D

Got the hood home, it had a few problems. The dvr side corner was broke and the reinforcement plate bent almost in half.

I threw it in my forge, got her hot and beat it out kinda straight, pulled the broken corner together and bolted it back together.

Several other dings and dents but no broken vanes. I think it's gonna work!

And the hinge is in perfect shape.

Attachments

combat32

Motor progress, looks like new inside with no wear at all that I can tell.

I have at least 6 valves that are bent, I think I will just replace them all.

Check motor timing again and slap it back together, should be good to go.

Attachments

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
That is some great looking hardware. Awe inspiring job.
To bad you don't have a plexiglass engine, it would be nice to see it run. The visible 353 double D.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks