• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I have joined the Goat herd

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I decided to go the replacement route so I went up to Ft. Chaffee this morning to salvage the hood off the parts truck.

Had to get my wife to help me, now that's a debt I can never repay if you know what I mean.:D

Got the hood home, it had a few problems. The dvr side corner was broke and the reinforcement plate bent almost in half.

I threw it in my forge, got her hot and beat it out kinda straight, pulled the broken corner together and bolted it back together.

Several other dings and dents but no broken vanes. I think it's gonna work!

And the hinge is in perfect shape.
Looks good! I can't tell you how many of my vanes are broken or bent to the point they'd break if I tried to bend them back. Still not sure what to do with my hinge to try and get it to fit. Maybe you can figure it out when you're over.

combat32

Looks good! I can't tell you how many of my vanes are broken or bent to the point they'd break if I tried to bend them back. Still not sure what to do with my hinge to try and get it to fit. Maybe you can figure it out when you're over.
I would be happy to take a look at it.

combat32

Looks clean, did your friend say what would cause so many valves to bend?
Thats the million dollar question. The previous owner(before Warthog) told me when he got the engine it was out of time, and this resulted in a bent valve.

He told me he re-timed the motor, but I will check it to make sure, in the number one cylinder you could see where at least one valve hit the top of the piston, saw no marks on the other two pistons but the valves on those two cylinders are clearly bent.

I believe after seeing the inside of this motor that it is a rebuild with hardly any run time on it, I am confident I will have a runner now. It was a great relief to see how clean it was once we opened her up.

combat32

Met up with mkcoen at his bunker today, I dropped of a couple of goat goodies with him and he filled up my car:shock:

Great to meet you Mark, appreciate the hospitality, 9 hours back to my casa tomorrow but the trip was well worth it, thanks again.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Met up with mkcoen at his bunker today, I dropped of a couple of goat goodies with him and he filled up my car:shock:

Great to meet you Mark, appreciate the hospitality, 9 hours back to my casa tomorrow but the trip was well worth it, thanks again.
Hope your trip in to town was productive. I think the schedule for your goat will speed up once you really get in to it. It's tough not to spend way more time (and money) on them than you start out thinking.

combat32

Haven't done much lately, Christmas and all that goin on.

Both of my boys on leave(Army and Air Force) and came to visit so I have a house full of folks.

Merry Christmas to all goat owners here.

combat32

Well Christmas is over so back to work, talked to my engine guru today.

Said he had all the valves out of the head, looks like no damage anywhere besides the valves.
After conferring with his pals in the shop the best guess is it was an over-rev that caused this, no way to know for sure.

combat32

New valves are on the way from Dieselpro, looks like they got about everything a fella could need for the old 353.

Got behind a little again and sidetracked by a generator and a mule, but I am back on it.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guess that means you won't be bringing it to the Brent Mullins event in March :) You could always bring the Mule. Not near as far as bringing it down to my place. Ok if you can't make Mullins you need to be at the Temple Air Show in May. You should have everything done by then, right?

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
I would guess Left Hand from the attached note in the 3-53 parts catalog. But I don't know for sure.

Fuel Pump.jpg

Or based on the firing order 1-2-3 = LH, 1-3-2 = RH

Then again, the manual says the engine model number is 5033-6299 which if you follow the info below makes it a RH crank engine.

If the 5th digit of the xxxx-Xxxx part number is 1,2,3,or 4 it is a left hand crank engine.
If the 5th digit of the xxxx-Xxxx part number is 5,6,7,or 8 it is a right hand crank engine.

inline 353 engine.jpg

combat32

I think I got most of my hacked up wiring harness figured out/re-connected.

Hooked up 2 batts today and everything was lookin good except lights, as in I had none.

Troubleshot everything I could think of, no dice, then out of desperation swapped out the 3 lever light switch and viola lights all work, even the turn signals.[thumbzup]

combat32

Anyone know what is supposed to be on the front edge of the hood where it meets the bulkhead ?

There are two screws there so I would assume there is supposed to be a rubber gasket of some type. Never seen one there, every truck I have seen it is missing.

Attachments

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone know what is supposed to be on the front edge of the hood where it meets the bulkhead ?

There are two screws there so I would assume there is supposed to be a rubber gasket of some type. Never seen one there, every truck I have seen it is missing.
Nothing on mine but the same 2 screws. I would imagine it was some type of seal to finish closing the gap between the engine cover and bulkhead.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks