• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil Filter Gaskets M35A2

pfrederi

My young friends duece is leaking badly form the front oil filter housing. The filters and oil were changed not long ago so all he needs is a gasket. I searched here and found a couple of threads but there was some inconsistency in the part number for the gasket. I will order one for him but he needs the truck to haul round bales on his dairy farm so I want to get the right ones as quickly as possible.

From my research I "think" Wix 15125 or Napa 5127 are the correct gaskets...am I right?

Where is my PLL clerk when I need her :lol:

gasket.jpg

pfrederi

Napa 5119.
Thank you ...That could explain the leak as there were two gaskets with the filter (Wix 51133) The 5119 flat and wide and the 5127 a narrower rubber one. The narrow rubber one is the one that is leaking... the 5119 almost looked too big.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thank you ...That could explain the leak as there were two gaskets with the filter (Wix 51133) The 5119 flat and wide and the 5127 a narrower rubber one. The narrow rubber one is the one that is leaking... the 5119 almost looked too big.
It fits in a groove. It'll make sense when you install it. You start it at one side and get the gasket under the lip and work your way around the circumference.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Yep, very first thing to my "new" truck was to change all the filters. Yep, I disabled it and had a 13,500 driveway ornament. Once I opened up the fuel system and not known to me was the in tank pump was dead. The Steel Soldiers members all helped me get it running again!
Anyhow, I have attached pictures for the General about the debacle.
Pictures do show where your leaking gasket fits in and why it is a PIA to fit it in upside down and backwards that is why I removed the whole deal. anyhow, pictures can help.
Also, in case I missed the entire questionabout gaskets and don't fathom which filter you are asking about, I spent the time and money and put a spin on on the bottom starboard primary filter.

IMG_0130.jpgIMG_0132.jpgIMG_0133.jpgIMG_0134.jpgIMG_0136.jpgIMG_0137.jpgIMG_0140.jpgIMG_0144.jpgIMG_0157.jpg

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Frank, that is the fuel stuff, he said the oil filters were leaking. Not much is the same between the two.

Pfrederi, you said he recently did a filter swap. Many don't realize a torque spec of like 80lbs is required for the oil canisters. Did he tighten them enough?

jasonjc

I did the same thing with my first tuck. Ran it in the drive way no leak. Drove to Sonic no leak. Left Sonic it started to leak , I did not see it , just about to the house noticed no oil pressure. I was just a few hundred yards from the house so just kept going. Got to the house the whole side of the truck was covered with oil. Put the other "flat" gaskets in and the 70 or 80 lbs of torqe and no more leaks.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Frank, that is the fuel stuff, he said the oil filters were leaking. Not much is the same between the two.
Thanks gimpyrobb. This is a strange form of loss of comprehension of what ever I just did read. Now I went and answered the wrong question! Gimpyrobb, I appreciate not getting put to the wall and shot for my mistake.

I did have problems with the oil filter canister seals too. Fixed those gaskets. Then I wanted no drain-back filters (spin-ons with the adapter) so bought and installed them. They blew away two gallons of oil onto the driveway immediately. It wasn't my torque or installation problem. I found that the male male adapter had been machined crooked. I sent them back and bought JATONKA's original version and all is well. I will attempt to attach the video.

View attachment spin-on adapter runout IMG_1302.MOV

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks gimpyrobb. This is a strange form of loss of comprehension of what ever I just did read. Now I went and answered the wrong question! Gimpyrobb, I appreciate not getting put to the wall and shot for my mistake.

No worries it's something in the Fl. water cause I have done the same thing 4 times here on SS in the last month.
I am having my water check because I am on a well and with all the druggies here in Fl. I am worried that there piss is leaching down to the water table.

Last edited:

pfrederi

Thank you all. Figured out how to "Work In" the correct gasket reassembled and no leak! He is picking up round bales no...Thank you all.

FloridaAKM

First the fish have to suffer due to pass thru drugs getting into the water runoff, now we have to worry about un metabloized drugs getting into the well water; :whistle: when will it ever end?

No worries it's something in the Fl. water cause I have done the same thing 4 times here on SS in the last month.
I am having my water check because I am on a well and with all the druggies here in Fl. I am worried that there piss is leaching down to the water table.

onemanarmy

So the oil filters from Napa come with 2 gaskets, one thicker/larger than the other. What part numbers are those? Is one the Napa 5119?

I changed my oil filters with the recommended Napa filters yesterday, used the 'thicker' gasket and fitted it under the 'lip' and torqued the canisters down nice and tight. Still getting some oil seeping out once the engine runs a while and the oil gets nice and hot.

onemanarmy

Well, I had a suspicion, but the posts on the subject either a) don't mention what gaskets were used b) state that the included gaskets work c) "I used other gaskets, but don't remember what they were" useless posts d) mention an obsolete part # e) a variety of banter that has nothing to do with the subject at hand.

When you mention 'the gasket by itself', can you be more specific with a part #? Is it the 5119 like previously mentioned?

onemanarmy

Yea, I saw post #2. Wanted further clarification due to other posts stating that the gaskets that come with the filters "are fine/worked' I used the gaskets that came with the filters, and have a leak, albeit a small leak at the base of the canister. Due to some posts stating that the gaskets work, I was worried I did something else incorrect.

Banter is great, yes, until it leads to confusion and the incorrect parts are used and causes more work and further trouble. Time and place, if you will.

When you open 3 of the 4 top search results asking about stock-style Napa filters and people immediately respond "get the spin on filter kit"...that is less than helpful.

Thanks for the info. I'll dive back into the job with the Napa gasket that I get seperatly, and report back.

russojap

Could somebody please verify if the NAPA 5119 gaskets are rubber and not the thin rock hard pressed tar paper kind? The ones that came with the filters are leaking bad and I want rubber ones, like the military had on it. Thanks.
uploadfromtaptalk1433694862061.jpg

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just changed the oil on a M35 and the gaskets that came with the filters are the paper type, I had no leaks with the them in the past or now.
Just do not spin the cans as you torgue them down. I think the torgue on the cans is 65lbft

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks