• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What to do after you get your HAM radio license

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know there are a lot of HAM radio operators on this site and also know a lot more have been getting there license. I hope this isn't a double thread. After you get your radio license you might want to consider doing.

1. Get a radio
This may sound more expensive then you think. On amazon you can get a Baofeng UV5R series handheld radio for under $35. This covers 2 meters and 70 CM bands. This is also capable of repeater operation. If you have a bigger budget, you can purchase a Mobile radio for your truck.

2. Join QRZ.com
This is a free to join website that is used by HAMs all over the world to look up other HAMs address to send QSL cards. You can create a small bio about yourself and include pictures. The website also has a wealth of other info on HAM radio info.

3. Join a local club
Depending on the club, your membership may give you access to their repeater, club station, and more.

4. READ!!
The American Radio Relay League has some great info, (ARRL.com). Also your local library may have some books on radio theory, antenna building, radio operation, etc.

5. Study for the next license class
Why not right? It doesn't hurt and if you are upgrading from a Tech class license you will gain access to long distance HF frequencies .

6. LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN.
Be open to help and suggestions.

7. Pick up a repeater directory.
These are very handy, especially if you have a HT. They list most of the repeaters across the US and Canada.

Anything I forgot please write below and I will add it.

Moderator: Would this be a good sticky?

Last edited:

lostintexas

I agree the Baofeng is a good choice for a starter radio and the price is hard to beat.

Joining a club will also give you access to contests which can be a fun way to learn your radio. Source locations and contacts.

Don't forget about studying for the next level license as well. this will give you access to more frequencies and more uses.

Then there is the study of antennas and building low budget yagi's.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Read. When you're done with that, read. And then, try reading.

The amount of data out there on radio operations and engineering will stagger your mind. Entire libraries are filled with radio-related texts, and that's only the beginning. The more you learn, the more addictive the hobby becomes, and the more you want to expand your horizons. Pretty soon you want to build entire radios, not just antennas and accessories. Then you start restoring stuff. And perhaps a modification to this rig or that. Experimental radios and modes. It's endless.

Got a tech license? Do this first - get a ARRL Handbook from the 1960s. Read it front to back. When you are done mopping your brains after they have melted out your ears, might wanna think about taking the General License then. BTW - the older ARRL handbooks did not dumb anything down. Everything from radio theory to engineering your own transmitters and amplifiers was in them. Today, the manuals are a lot thinner and don't nearly cover as much.

MtnSnow

One suggestion if you do choose to buy the Baofeng (I have one too to go along with my Yaesu Mobile & HT units) I highly suggest you spend the extra 6-7 dollars and purchase the programming cable for it and then use no cost "Chirp" for the programming software (free to download from http://chirp.danplanet.com )

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, that is a very good investment along with a mag mount or whip antenna

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another good thing for the baofeng is a rubber ducky antenna if you put it in your pocket a lot

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have looked at the Baofeng models, aren't they cheesey for something that cheap? I realize Kenwood and ICOM are upper end, Yaesu has some entry level models.
They work! You can program them as easily as the higher end models. With a mag mount antenna, I sound as good as a base station when transmitting and have no trouble hitting all the area repeaters (within 25 miles or so) Lima Charlie. I have three of them, with most of the accessories (separate mic, different antennas, spare batteries, BNC and PL-259 adapters, etc.) at about the same price you will spend on one higher end device without all those accessories. How you spend your money is strictly your business!

lostintexas

I have looked at the Baofeng models, aren't they cheesey for something that cheap? I realize Kenwood and ICOM are upper end, Yaesu has some entry level models.
I've had my Baofeng's for over a year now and love them. For the price I keep one in all vehicles. I too bought all the accessories and extra batteries. So far my ONLY complaint is the scan speed. It is slow to run through all the channels but that is not a big deal. For the money buy two and start the scans out of sync and the scan in half the time.

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not at all, they work great. I've had one for the past 2 years and the only problem I've had is the belt clip broke. They can be a pain to hand program but if you buy a programming cable that wont be a problem.

Last edited:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How long have you had them Mike? Will they go for the "long haul"? I've been studying for my Tech for about a month now, using Hamtestonline.
Jonathan,
I've had mine about six months, no problems yet. If you get the ARRL book and read it, you may find that you are ready now. Be sure to look for all local clubs in your area to find the VE exams. ARRL site does not always show every exam schedule, as 'willfreeman' found - he was able to come to Columbia and take the exam with about half the travel time of the site he was able to find on 'the big list'.

Shackelford R

Jonathan,
Let me know what you find out while I've been on this detail I've been studying hamradioschool.com book and found out about some free online Technician class classes.

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems like we are getting more and more hams here that eventually we could start a net

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We'll need a lot more density if we try to do it on Technician's tickets. Upgrade to General and we could use HF, perhaps with NVIS antennas to have nets of several hundred miles. 2M on an HT is going to be limited to about 20 miles, mobiles and base stations can reach farther because of higher power and better antennas, but VHF is not going far reliably.

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So the net seems like a no go on the net until we have more general class HAMs unless we wanted to experiment with 10 meter which is very unreliable most of the time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks