• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Known fuels for the multi-fuel deuce

Varyag

I think I have one sitting around. Just dunk a filter in oil and that's what it looks like. It is a cartridge style that has the crap on the inside so you really can't see it.

Tonka405

Multifule engines

im new to this, so if its already been answered im sorry, i rescently got a 71 m35a2, with the multifuel engine, the guy i got it from said that i could run the truck on used motor oil, trans fluid, gear oil, hyd fluid, gasoline mixed with oil, and even cooking grease. of course he said to make sure to filter all the used fluids through a 3 micron filter.

can anyone confirm this for me??

thanks

Last edited:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
im new to this, so if its already been answered im sorry, i rescently got a 71 m35a2, with the multifuel engine, the guy i got it from said that i could run the truck on used motor oil, trans fluid, gear oil, hyd fluid, gasoline mixed with oil, and even cooking grease. of course he said to make sure to filter all the used fluids through a 3 micron filter.

thanks
Yes. Remove any water from it too. The truck filters down to 5 or 10 microns (i forget) as-is but of course finer is better and dont rely on the trucks filters solely as they will clog in time if not prefiltered. Search up some threads here on SS about fuel mixing. Just about everything has been covered. [thumbzup]

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can see the attraction to burning waste oil of almost any type in these engines, but I won't be doing it because gasoline engine waste oil carries a high level of contamination:

"While automobile engine is running, the motor oil collects heavy metal (lead, cadmium, zinc, and barium), iron steel particles, and copper." Used Oil

Also, sulphuric acid is generated in the engine during the life of the oil charge, increasing as water vapor mixes with gasoline combustion by-products.

It seems to me the long-term damage to the fuel system (pumps, injectors, etc.) by this mix isn't worth the savings in fuel.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I run 100 % mineral oil recovered from electrical transformers. As is, no filtering. Since transformer oil serves as a heat-transfer fluid and does not lubricate anything, it has no ground up particles in it. FDC is bypassed.

crazywelder72

I run 100 % mineral oil recovered from electrical transformers. As is, no filtering. Since transformer oil serves as a heat-transfer fluid and does not lubricate anything, it has no ground up particles in it. FDC is bypassed.
Love it. Do you work for a power company? how exactly did you get your foot in the door to recover the oils?

eagle4g63

thanks

Everything you listed BUT cooking GREASE!!!!! The correct thing is cooking OIL, corn, peanut, veggy, and the what like......but NOT GREASE as you can guess the grease WILL turn back to a solid so that is a no no.....the cooking liquid you use is the stuff that starts out liquid and cools to a liquid, grease doesn't do that.

I hope I am not sounding like a jerk, just trying to make sure to clarify the difference. Any yes I do burn cooking oil in mine with all the other stuff you said.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

thanks
This has been confirmed hundreds of times. Read the alternate fuels forum threads.

dblcamaros

Agreed with cranetruck......my data plate on dash says No aviation fuel also. But that was probably for the original motor, that was replaced with a 5 ton LDS 465 so not sure if you can with that one or not. I would probably just shy away from it unless absolute emergency just in case.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ok i see all this info for a muti A2 what about an A3 muti ??? aua
The M35A3 is not equipped with a multi-fuel engine. The distinctive difference with the A3 evolution of the Deuce design it the engine "upgrade" and the automatic transmission. Other A3 distinctive features include the CTIS (Central Tire Inflation System), and redesigned nose to accomodate the new powerplant.

Check out the specs available under RESOURSES here on the SS site for a little education on the other features.

Happy Reading......

FatBuddhaBoo

I was previewing an auction and looking at the placard on the dash of an M109A4 and it states:

Authorized Fuels:

DF-1, DF-2, DF-A, VV-F-800, MIL-T-83133 (JP8 )

Alternate Fuels

MIL-F-16884, MIL-T-5624 (JP5)

Emergency Fuel

MIL-T-5624 (JP4)

Granted, it's not the multi fuels like running motor oil, tranny fluid, etc, but still multi fuel. Perhaps this is what the buddha was referring to.

Last edited:

lowflybye

This may have been thought of / discussed already but has anyone used the original oil filter canisters or fuel filter canisters to set up a WMO / WVO filter system? I still have my canisters sitting around where I replaced them with the spin on systems and I thought about fabricating a filtering system using them to filter my wmo as the cartriges are readily accessible, designed for this purpose, and fairly easy to change...especially when they are not in the truck.

eagle4g63

I thought about what you are thinking............then I regained reasoning!!!!!

The main reason to switch the truck over to spin on filters??? So it is easier and cheaper.......with this line of thinking why would I then use the earlier deemed useless filter housing to put back into service???

I know you already have them but again, the same housing I bought for my truck is the same housing I use for the wmo filtering rig...........only have to keep 1 filter at home....good for the truck and the filtering rig, plus they are in stock and cheaper.2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks