• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Juan Prado's XM1073 trailer repair thread

goldneagle

Juan and I purchased 2 XM1073 trailers from GSA last month. When we went to recover the trailer we found out that the rear stabilizer jacks were damaged. Both jacks had the retainer pin assembly sheared off. The retainer pin assemblies were nowhere to be found. We had to secure the jack in the up position with some chains we had with us. Here is a picture of the trailer after recovery:

Juan_trailer_1.jpg

I promised Juan i would repair the 2 jacks by fabricating replacement pin assemblies. I used one of the front assembly as a model for the replacement assemblies. Here is a close up of the pin assembly as it should look:

Leg_Lock_1b.jpg

Here is a picture of the pin assembly disassembled from the tube:

Parts_4_trailer_1a.jpg

Since the shaft on the original pin assembly was machined down to accept the spring I had to modify the design for off the shelf parts. Instead of machining down the 1" hitch pin I bought , in order to match the original assembly, I opted to go one size bigger and add to the 1" hitch pin. By adding a 1" diameter gas pipe to the 1" hitch pin i could make a similar assembly. Here are pictures of the raw materials:

Raw_Materials_1.jpgRaw_Materials_1a.jpg

What I did was drill out a 1" hole in a gas pipe 1-1/4" cap. I slipped the cap on to the 1" hitch pin. I them installed the compression spring on the 1" hitch pin. I then cut a piece of 1" gas pipe into 2 lengths. I installed the 1" gas pipe piece over the 1" hitch pin with the cut end first. Here is a picture of partial assembly:

Prepared_Materials_1.jpgCombined_materials_1.jpg

Once I get the 1" gas pipe in the right position I will weld it to the 1" hitch pin. Then it will function like the original assembly (just a bit fatter)

I then cut 2 pieces of 1-1/4" galvanized gas pipe into (2) 4-1/2" lengths with one ended still thread. I then slid the 1-1/4" pipe pieces over the 1" gas pipe already installed on the hitch pin. Here is a picture after i installed the pipe:

Prepared_Materials_1a.jpg

Here is how the pin assembly looks after the cap is screwed on to the 1-1/4" gas pipe:

Compared_1.jpg

I still have to install a grease zert and an end cap with 1" hole drilled into it. The end cap will be made from 1/8" steel plate cut and welded to the end of the 1-1/4" gas pipe. It will have a 1" hole in the center.

goldneagle

Ha, I was right. How did the green one turn out?
Right about what? Green one was in much better condition. It had a bent front jack assembly that I straightened out. It had some minor damage to one of the "wire" steps that protects one of the rear jacks when in up position. I pulled it out with a come-a-long. Had one missing air hose and two 1/4" u-bolts where to hoses attach to the trailer. Got them replaced. Also was missing both safety chains and shackles. Got both shackles replaced and 1 chain and hook. I will get the other chain and hook this weekend from Jeff. Also go new red and amber reflectors for both trailers.

Here are some pictures of that trailer:

Bent_Leg_1.jpgXM1073_Zev_1.jpgXM1073_Zev_1b.jpg

goldneagle

I made some good progress today. I started by melting 2 short pieces of shrink tubing on the hitch pin near the handle. It will act as a stop and buffer for the cap. I then proceeded to weld washers on the non threaded end of the 1-1/4" gas pipe. I then enlarged the hole in the washer to allow the 1" hitch pint to fit through.

Heat_Shrink_1.jpgWelded_ Washer_1.jpg

I then cleaned off the welds on the washer install.

Welded_ Washer_2.jpgWelded_ Washer_2a.jpgDisassembled_1.jpg

I checked the pin assembly for fit.

Checking_Fit_1a.jpgChecking_Fit_1.jpg

I then welded the 1" gas pipe piece to the 1" hitch pin -keeping a little tension on the spring. I cleaned the welds smooth.

Welded_1.jpg

I cut and welded a narrow C channel to the body of the 1-1/4" gas pipe -that will be used to secure the assembly to the jacks.

Assembled_2.jpgAssembled_2a.jpg

Comparing to original.

Comparison_1.jpg

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Updating this thread. XM1073 is the 7 1/2 ton big cousin to the M1061. Bigger tires on taller rims and beefed up.

Trailer was basically sound but needed some love. Bed was rusty and carc peeling, blown tire, safety chains and shackles missing, forklift damage to one of the 2 booster/ master cylinders, some of the tarp hold downs broken off along with the 2 jack handle pins snapped off.

Laundry trailer frame and posts added to the trailer. I added so we could put a tarp over it and to make it easier to climb in and on. Intended purpose for it was to haul a 500 gallon water bladder at a Boy Scout camp on a remote part with no potable water. 2nd to use to haul whatever Junk I buy or accumulate. The poles on top pin in and fast to remove off if you wanted to covert to flat bed and load inbetween goal posts. The side braces also are easy to unbolt and swivel out of way. Frame was way over built for what it does and is stout. Decided to keep and use the braces just for extra support in case of smacking tree limbs and we only had 3 bolts instead of 6 on each goal post leg. The beefier frame of the xm1073 was in the way of drilling the other 3 holes and we thought it was ok with the 3 1/2 bolts. We could had welded the rest but wanted to be able to have the flexibility to remove the posts if needed.

Many helped with this Project. Lions share is Zev who fabricated the handles which work great btw, Tool boxes, paint, sand, weld, drill, manual labor :) and let me store it at his place while work progressed. Zev also let me use his tractor to recover the trailer. Good troop and friend. :clinto:

Jeepsinker provided the laundry frame and Gimpyrobb helped load at the GA rally. TimnTrucks became my personal U-shipper and brought all my junk back on his empty trailer from the GA rally. Tim also provided a brake booster as mine had the studs snapped off. Silverstates gave me great deal on a very odd ball size tire 17.5. Butch has a cover and maybe the baskets for me at the next Ga Rally. Auctionaddict provided the clearance light bar.

Pictures show the final product with the 500 gallon water bladder. One of the pics shows the fitting tree I made to put faucets on it. Small fortune in fittings to plumb 2 hose bibs.

New led lights, reflectors, shackles/chains, brake booster and line, tarp hold downs, tool boxes, paint, Tire, conspicuity tape

Attachments

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a quick update.

The repaired pins are working great! I recently switched Boy Scout Councils and moved the trailer to my new assignment as Avondale Scout Reservation. I installed the 2 baskets from the laundry trailer set up Butch had given me on the top frame. For this camp, I put the cover on.

Again many thanks to all who provided parts and labor for this project. Still going strong :)

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks