• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alaska Track Association

RangerBob

Big things are in the works. A group of tracked rig owners, in confederation with the Alaska Moose Federation, has formed an association to promote tracked rigs throughout the state of Alaska. For now they are leasing a facility in Palmer, AK where the members can store and maintain their rigs with association support. There are plans to move to a larger and permanent facility in the near future.

Why do you care?

MILITARY SNOWCATS!!!! Yeah, that's right, there are (and will be more) military snowcats in the association. Currently most members own Aktiv Snow-Tracs and Snow-Masters, a Swedish design used by several European and Scandinavian militaries. Also, they are about to acquire 2 BV206s (SUSVs) and 1 USAF Thiokol Spryte. The BV206s will be making their way by ferry from Kodiak island early next week.

Here are a few pictures from the first meet attended by RangerBob and WARWAG, with lots of Snow-Tracs/Masters in various states.

CIMG0018.jpgCIMG0021.jpg

As well as providing space, tools, and helping hands to maintain your rig, knowledgeable members often hold mini lectures on specifics. Here one of the members is describing the operation, as well as the strengths and weaknesses of the Aktiv variator system, used for turning the tracks without braking/skid-steering.

CIMG0012.jpg

Last edited:

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was a nice Aktiv snow-trac on the west side of the Steese at Chena Hotsprings rd just outside of Fairbanks. It was usually sitting on a trailer or parked in the yard. I lived off of Chena Hotsprings Rd just east of the Steese so I drove by it everyday. I always wanted to see it in action.

Alyeska was gearing up for a large auction just before I left AK. They had dozens of tracked vehicles stacked up in their yard off of Van Horn. I never saw the prices they brought, but those were some awesome looking vehicles.

Closest I got to a tracked snow vehicle was my tracked ATV. I had a ton of fun with it when I lived up there, but I wanted to step up to a BV206 or something. :D

RangerBob

The BV206s did not make it last weekend due to a SNAFU at the ferry. However, one of our members did make a trip to the island and got both units running. They will be driving themselves onto the ferry next weekend! In another half week after that, I should have some pictures and videos to post. Meanwhile...

When I was in the USAF, I operated a 2-person Thiokol Imp. It was a lovely strata blue with insignia yellow. I have been looking for one ever since. Still haven't found one (that I can afford), but this civvy full-cab unit just fell into my lap. I have begun the repairs at the ATA. The body may get soda blasted while I'm in the field. Would it be wrong to dress it out as a USAF unit? I'd like to, but it would feel fake.

photo 2.jpgphoto 8.jpgCIMG0032.jpgCIMG0031.jpg

Got the cab off. After my next work trip, I'll yank the engine for a rebuild. Hope it's not too difficult finding parts. It's a Ford V-4 made in West Germany during the height of the Cold War.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Taunus_V4_engine

RangerBob

The ferry SNAFU has been sorted. The BV206s arrive in Whittier early this evening. I'll be departing Anchorage at about 1600 to assist with the unloading at the ferry, loading onto trailers, and finally unloading at the ATA. Woohoo!

Meanwhile, more Imp pictures. Last night I stripped the rest of the cab off and have the engine within 4 bolts of being removed.

P7050110.jpgP7050112.jpgP7050122.jpgP7050123.jpgP7050126.jpgP7050124.jpg

I have decided; no USAF colors for her. Just not right. I may go for a metallic blue with white stripes, ala Le Mans Cobra. Something like this...

8045BL2.jpg

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alaska track oddity

This isn't an MV, but I thought it it was intriguing and may be of interest to this crowd as just a nice piece of American ingenuity. It's a '63 or so Chevy pickup converted into a snow machine. It's certainly creative. I don't know if it works, I spotted it during the summer of 2010 at a roadside shop along the George Parks highway somewhere between Fairbanks and Anchorage. I don't recall where, maybe just south of Anderson?

Attachments

RangerBob

Last week a few of the Aktiv Snow Tracks went through soda blasting. They're getting somewhat of a volume discount; $1500/day. They managed 3 units that day.

ATA 7.jpgATA 1.jpgATA 4.jpgATA 2.jpgATA 5.jpgATA 9.jpgATA 3.jpgATA 6.jpgATA 10.jpg

RangerBob

This isn't an MV, but I thought it it was intriguing and may be of interest to this crowd as just a nice piece of American ingenuity. It's a '63 or so Chevy pickup converted into a snow machine. It's certainly creative. I don't know if it works, I spotted it during the summer of 2010 at a roadside shop along the George Parks highway somewhere between Fairbanks and Anchorage. I don't recall where, maybe just south of Anderson?
It's still there, at that shop/campground just north of a bridge if I recall correctly.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's the place. Is it just south of Anderson/Clear, or is my memory getting worse?

RangerBob

As a teaser, here are the SUSVs we've acquired. Wanna operate one? Contact us at the ATA and we'll get you in the cab!

Since we couldn't send the flatbed to Kodiak, we sent Walt (our 'Big Toe') to get both units in condition to drive them onto the ferry. Unit 1 was already serviceable. Unit 2 needed some rewiring, a fuel leak patched, some missing hoses replaced, and new batteries. Just a walk in the park for the Big Toe.

attachment 5.jpgattachment 2.jpgattachment 3.jpgattachment 4.jpg

After 2 days at sea, they should be docking at Whittier in a few hours. I'll post recovery pictures (and maybe video) later tonight or in the morning.

RangerBob

After we were delayed greatly by an accident in the first tunnel, the BV206s have made successfully offloaded onto the mainland. One has been parked in Whittier near the apartment building, and the other is about to be unloaded at the ATA in Palmer. The Big Toe drove Unit 2 onto the slideback while I drove Unit 1 the 1/2 mile to the apartment building.

Startup to drive off the ferry.
P7060132.jpg

Unit 1 parked for the night in Whittier.
P7060135.jpg

Unit 2 loaded for the drive back to the ATA.
P7060136.jpg
Before you say it, I know, I know.

Last edited:

notinfringed

226.jpgI work for the company that does the Alyeska Pipeline auction here in Fairbanks. Over the years we have sold lots of tracked vehicles. Usually we have at least a few Tuckers. A few years ago, we sold an extremely rare Kristi (KT-4 if memory serves). This year we have 2 Canadair Dynatrack xm571 (CL91) military vehicles. From what I have found online there were only 57 of these sold to the US Army. They are powered by a Corvair engine. Really cool machines.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks