Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast

Thread: Meet Mr Rusty

Thanks
    Thanked 5,929 Times in 3,148 Posts
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine: Founding Father Quote.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cucvrus For This Useful Post:

firefox (07-11-2019)

Thanks

I see it but I don't believe it. This oil pan on Mr. rusty has been off before and someone fixed the rust holes. Who fixes rusted out oil pans. If they are that bad they need replaced. I took a pick hammer and tapped on the pan at a few places and the hammer went right thru the pan all over. I was easily able to find all the replacement parts in my hoard. I never seen someone add tubing to a dip stick tube and use compression fittings to make the tube fit. My next obstacle will be to get the rust encrusted nuts from the stud on the exhaust manifold. I am up for the challenge. I will heat the stud/nut red hot and go from there. Ideally I would like to get the entire stud/bolt from the manifold. All 3 as a matter of fact. That may be the challenge over load. But I am going to get the dip stick stud / nut for sure. From that point I am on easy street. It does appear that the rear main seal is not leaking. I will sleep on that decision to change that. If it ain't broke don't fix it comes to mind. but sometimes there is exceptions to common sense rules. I had to get a new keyboard so I could type these posts. My other one just conked out with warning. Sort of like the CUCV project. Rain came right after I removed the pan. I had hoped to get the stud nut started. More later. Be Safe and have a Great Day.
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine: Founding Father Quote.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cucvrus For This Useful Post:

firefox (07-11-2019), german m1008 (07-11-2019)

3 Star General
    Thanks

I am amazed that you are doing all this while laying on your back on a piece of cardboard on a gravel driveway.
    Until you told us, I thought you had a lift at work that you were using after hours.
    You must be a young guy. No go for someone my age (76).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to o1951 For This Useful Post:

cucvrus (07-12-2019)

Thanks

Well I am not 76 I will be 60 soon. I have a garage with a cement floor. I would rather work outdoors in natural light and have the project move along at a comfortable pace. If it rains I don't work on my outside project. I have a couple inside projects and a couple off site projects. I just bought 50 ft of scaffolding to start on another building maintenance project. I am never without something to do. It is like an all you can eat buffet. Keep the plate full and take a bite out of each entrée. Eventually one of them runs out and the project is complete. Keep getting the list filled up and you will never be bored. I have projects I hate and projects I love. Most are just a simple task and I work at each one as best I can as time and weather allow. Laying on cardboard is great. I get new work surface everyday and recycle the old one. Have a Great Day. I look forward to the manifold nut challenge today. I have all the parts ready including an oil pan I harvested from a parts engine. That was easy.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cucvrus For This Useful Post:

firefox (07-12-2019), n8roro (07-13-2019), o1951 (07-12-2019), tomztoy (07-12-2019), Tracer (07-12-2019)

Thanks

DSCF6337.jpgDSCF6328.jpgDSCF6329.jpgYes that oil pan should have been scrapped the last time it was off. DSCF6327.jpgI cleaned a good used one primed and painted it. DSCF6330.jpg Nice stud. I decided to tackle the stud nut for the dip stick while the paint dried. DSCF6334.jpgThat was easy. 5 minutes and it was off. The paint was not dry yet. While I was under the hood I noticed a brake line sweating DOT 5. That was also very easy. I have the parts in storage for years and never used them. DSCF6335.jpgLeft you have the Rusty ones. And on the right the replacements. Nice that I didn't have to bend them. I think the OEM replacements will outlast the truck. DSCF6336.jpgDSCF6337.jpgThe original starter and new starter bolts. Picked up at the rebuilders today. DSCF6338.jpgLooks great under the hood. New M 8 flange nut on the dipstick stud. It is an M8 from an Isuzu. Brand new. I have a free selection of new fasteners. Have a Great Day. I plan on installing the oil pan with The Right Stuff as the gasket. I am confident it will work out. I se no point in changing the rear main seal. It is not leaking and has been changed before. Let sleeping dogs lie. Have a Great Weekend and Be Safe.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cucvrus For This Useful Post:

BradL84D30M1008 (07-13-2019), firefox (07-12-2019), german m1008 (07-13-2019), n8roro (07-13-2019), Tracer (07-12-2019)

Thanks

I was able to get the oil pan back on today. The owner stopped by and added a few things to the list. he told me the block heater don't sem to work. While I was under putting the oil pan on I plugged it in to se if I could hear the element heat up. It does make a sound I heard them many times over the years. It did not make a sound. I went up with my 10 MM socket and ratchet and it felt like a shock in my hand. I have arthrits in my wrist and occasionally experience pain. I went up again and sure enough it was electrical current that was shocking me. I unplugged the block heater and it was gone. I never seen one shorted out and wondered how it don't kick the breaker. That was about all I finished on that project today. I went back in the mountains and continued razing a double wide modular home. Tomorrow I want to get the starter, and drive shafts back on the truck. Then I will remove that shocking block heater. They have it in the rear soft plug on the left side. I always us the center plug. It looks clocked wrong to me. that may be why it is shorted and shocking me. I read that the element should NOT make contact with any other part of the block. I think in the position it is in it is turned front and touching inside. Only one way to tell. Pull it out. Make the big mess and replace it. Have a Great Weekend. Be Safe and stay dry.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cucvrus For This Useful Post:

firefox (07-13-2019), Tracer (07-13-2019)

3 Star General
    Thanks

Next time you may not be so lucky!
    Your shop outlet needs a GFCI or the circuit breaker changed to a AFCI/GFCI
    Getting shocked under a truck, where you cannot readily get clear is a good way to get fatal fibrillation.

I enjoy reading your posts.
    Go spend $5.00 and buy a good GFCI outlet. Takes about 10 min to install- less if you forget to turn off juice.
    Last edited by o1951; 07-13-2019 at 21:52.

Thanks

My barn is plugged into the outside outlets on the house. They do have the safeties built in. They pop every time it rains and the kids pool is running. I was a very slight jolt but I was aware that it had current. If I had permanent wiring in my barn the insurance would go thru the roof. It is about 100 years old and has knob and tube wiring. I was warned about the liability and told to get it rewired or not the leave the electric on unattended. So I plug it in and unplug it. Someday. Maybe. Maybe NOT. I am waiting till I retire and need something to do and spend money on.
    Last edited by cucvrus; 07-13-2019 at 22:04.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to cucvrus For This Useful Post:

firefox (07-13-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,324 Times in 1,018 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cucvrus View Post
    My barn is plugged into the outside outlets on the house. They do have the safeties built in. They pop every time it rains and the kids pool is running. I was a very slight jolt but I was aware that it had current. If I had permanent wiring in my barn the insurance would go thru the roof. It is about 100 years old and has knob and tube wiring. I was warned about the liability and told to get it rewired or not the leave the electric on unattended. So I plug it in and unplug it. Someday. Maybe. Maybe NOT. I am waiting till I retire and need something to do and spend money on.
    cucvrus, speaking from over 4 years in retirement. Once you retire, you will have more to do than when you were working. And you will have lots of things to spend money on, such as Honey Do's.
    1972 M35A2C W/W, 1986 M105A2, 1953 M38A1, S250 Shelter. "He was old and wise, which meant tired and disappointed" T.E. Lawrence

3 Star General
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cucvrus View Post
    It is about 100 years old and has knob and tube wiring. I was warned about the liability and told to get it rewired or not the leave the electric on unattended. So I plug it in and unplug it. Someday. Maybe. Maybe NOT. I am waiting till I retire and need something to do and spend money on.
    HMM- Knob & tube is 2 wire, no ground. Good stuff in it's day.
    Trouble with it is fabric over rubber covering deteriorates over many decades, sometimes leaving wires bare.

GFCI should shut off juice before most people can feel it.

I have GFCI outlets, but they now say outlets should be replaced every 10 years.
    I am not too keen on that.

For part of my career, I worked as an electrician, and saw people get hurt.
    I use an older version of this when using power tools near metal- cars, in basement around pipes, etc.
    Figure cheap insurance against wife becoming premature widow. Figure cheap insurance for $35.

Click on image just below.

https://www.bestmaterials.com/images2/1244g2-lg.jpg
    PRODUCT:

2 Foot In-Line GFCI Protected Power Cord with LED power light, 12/3 SJTW, Triple-Tap NEMA 5-15P Plugs, 1 NEMA 5-15R Connector, 15A/125V. UL Listed. Price/Each. (Shipping Lead Time is 1-2 Business Days)
    DESCRIPTION:

CEP #1244G2 2 foot in-line GFCI, 12/3 Vinyl SJTW, triple-tap connector, 5-15 Plug, 5-15 Outlets. OSHA compliant and jobsite tested. Attachable GFCI plugs can be attached to any power tool or cord set up to 12/3 wire to make it meet OSHA specs for GFCI protection.
    Last edited by o1951; 07-14-2019 at 15:19.

Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast