• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Meet Mr Rusty

cucvrus

Well it looks like it is a go. The owner pulled the trigger on my estimate and wants it repaired. I have a lot of work to do. Got to get cracking. Thank you for the positive comments. Not so much for the nay sayers. It is just a task. And i will prevail. I wish I had the frames I scrapped in the past but don't. So onward until I hit a stop stick then I will figure my way past it.

cucvrus

No progress to report tonight. I had to clean up storm damage in the yard and the field. That is the 3rd storm in 2 weeks. Tomorrow is another day. I will post my progress then. Thank you for the positive encouragement. The wheels in my mind are spinning at this point on where to start. I think 1 rail at a time. I was surprised to find out that the rear axle saddles were still available from the Spring manufacturer for less then $20. each.

sweetk30

other problm in the last few years now in north east rust belt . . . . LIQUID DE-ICE fluids .

there making stuff rust worse and faster by around 10x if you ask me .

this year my flatbed on my plow truck looks so bad its not funny . years past it never looked this bad after a plow season .

superburban

I must admit that I'm one of the naysayers! I am impressed that cucvrus is tackling this job without blinking! Keep up the updates please.

corvette9

When you fishmouthed the frame, did you place a re-enforcement plate on the inside too?
Yes. If you look close at the last pic you will see the burn through from the diamond shaped plate on the inside. Thats the way ICAR says a frame section should be done.

Last edited:

cucvrus

001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg007.jpg006.jpg008.jpg009.jpgI had a very good day after work today. I removed all the frame attachments from the left frame rail. It looks much better without the brackets in place. And with all the beating and punching I did not see anywhere that the frame is thru and that goes for the brackets. The only thing that is junk is the cross members. I did all this work with the gas wrench , a hammer and a center punch. It knocked a lot of scale rust off. I think it is coming along quite well. So far I have a total of 8 hours into the job. This is a time and materials job so I am moving along as quickly as possible. I may send some of the brackets to the powdercoater and get them blasted and coated. But only the ones that I don't have in stock. At this point I don't think there are any that I don't have. We shall see. Thank you for looking. Have a nice day. Tomorrow is another day for fun in the sun.

sweetk30

I am also doing a 1ton frame .

I made my own beefy rear cross member to replace the chinsy thick tin one.

real easy to do also .

new custom bumper for rear . made in cardboard first .

then 2 pics showing 3"x3" 1/4" angle iron and 2 chunks flipped and welded to it for top ears . all drilled / bolted to o.e.m rivet holes from original . and a fish mouth open on left side for tail light harness to pass like stock .

only 1/2 the bolts are in yet for test fit faze of project .

and I hunted long and hard in the rust belt for this clean 1ton m-series frame . don't know what it was before as I all I got was bare frame . did have the bolt in braces still tho . going to be a civi truck when done not camo sorry guys . but going black/white like a cop truck . :twisted: also a plow truck build .

Attachments

Last edited:

cucvrus

004.jpg005.jpg006.jpg007.jpg008.jpgThings are going along well. I had many of the parts/brackets that I needed up in my barn. I used the pneumatic needle scaler and the 8" 40 grit soft pad sander/grinder a bit to clean up the frame. Not sure i will need to sand blast. I am happy with the results. Remember I am not building a show truck or a museum piece. it is a snow plow truck. I could not believe how clean some of the parts got from needle scaling them. I have a 5 gallon bucket of brackets to take to the powder coater. Thank you for looking. And I will post more as I progress with this project.

Last edited:

THEBRICK

I've done this same thing on many pick up and larger truck frames and i agree that the needle gun is the key to the larger scale. My perfered method for final clean up is knotted wire brushes on a angle gringer. They have the grit to remove the hard rust but can get into all the little pits, where the rust will creep back from. I've used many frame coatings over the years from POR to Summit brand chassis paint, which where you going to use for this truck? Dont worry about the nay sayers, I've brought old highway plow trucks back to a respectible life doing just this

cucvrus

I sent all the brackets to the powder coater. And will be treating the frame with acid wash primer and Rustoleum rust reformer. I will reassemble the entire frame with all the brackets and use a rust proofing under coating sprayed from a cup gun. Works like magic. Same as the bed. I will be flipping it over and washing it down and coating it. The bed that was on it is going to scrap for parts. On the pile or in the pile.

cucvrus

003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg006.jpg007.jpg008.jpg009.jpg010.jpg011.jpg012.jpg013.jpgMade a lot of progress today on my Mr. Rusty project. I scaled it, sanded it, ground it, and sanded it again. I washed it down and applied Rustoleum Rust Reformer to the frame. When I get all the frame brackets and attachments back from the powdercoater I will reassemble the entire frame. I have a set of NOS M1028 rear springs I have been storing for years/decades. I was dodging rain drops most of the day. And that is why the left rail was the only one painted in the first pictures. I thought I was rained out. But to my surprise I was back at it an hour later and it only started to rain after the reformer was dry to the touch. That is one dirty labor intense job cleaning rust from the frame. I found only 1 small hole at the rear of the frame where the bumper attaches. I will begin putting cross members in tomorrow. I will keep you posted. Thank you for looking have a nice day.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks