• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Meet Mr Rusty

cucvrus

Mr Rusty gets a face lift and a face off all at the same time.021.jpg022.jpg023.jpg024.jpg025.jpg026.jpg027.jpg028.jpg029.jpg030.jpg031.jpgAfter the radiator support was removed and the fenders. It was onto the front axle and springs to be removed. Then we cut all the brackets off the front frame. The frame itself is good ,the brackets . Well not so good. I have replacement brackets and new 4 ply leaf springs to replace the sagging springs that were on it. All new steering linkage and spring bushings and Mr Rusty will be back in the snow plowing business again. I will be replacing both front fenders and the radiator support. I have been storing a few like new supprts for years in the barn. This one came from a 1985 CUCV M1009 that I stripped 15 years back.

Attachments

cucvrus

I spent some time getting Mr Rusty ready for new front springs. He had it rough the past few years carrying that heavy duty Fisher V plow out front. The front axle bump stops were crushed and the brackets were bent from bouncing off them for the past several years. I bought some 4 ply replacement front springs in Harrisburg PA at Stanley Springs. They make U bolts and springs for you while you wait. These will make a world of difference to the ride and the plow will not hang and bounce the front end so bad.017.jpg016.jpgThanks for looking and have great weekend. I will be busy the next 13 weekends away from home and will not be getting a lot done on my CUCV's on weekends. I will have to make my after work hours count till November.

sweetk30

fyi on the fisher v-plow . if you didn't already know this .

there sensitive to suspension hight changes .

make sure he has the a-frame angle reset or checked . or the v-plow in full angle or scoop will pick up the corners.

looks good . nice to see a old chevy 1ton with a v-plow on it .

Last edited:

cucvrus

047.jpg041.jpg033.jpg034.jpg035.jpg036.jpg037.jpg038.jpg039.jpg042.jpgToday I had some time to work on Mr Rusty. I removed his plow frame and radiator. The owner stopped by and added a new radiator to the list. I was at the scrap yard and picked up a few items from the crush pile. The front frame / bumper horns and tow hooks. Freebies. I worked on the oil cooler lines for about an hour and I was able to get them loose. I was doubtful that they would break loose. PB Blaster and patience working it back and forth got them loose. The plow company did a poor job installing the plow to the frame. I will be fixing that as I reassemble it. Tomorrow is another day. I will be needle blasting the front frame section tomorrow afternoon if the weather permits.

Attachments

sweetk30

just incase you didn't have it or want the info with parts list of bolts and sizes . here ya go . I remember you said time was short for you now .

install http://library.fisherplows.com/fisherplows/pdffiles/29214.00_010106.pdf

parts http://library.fisherplows.com/fisherplows/pdffiles/6454.05_010106.pdf

and yes the chunks of bumper bracket they removed were wrong as per instructions . 80-older need spacers in this area . and 81-up fit over the bumper brackets .

amazes me what some people do with directions . . . . I check each step off as I go and when done give them to customer to show I did the job ASPR directions from company .

hope I can finish my plow truck in time also . good luck :goodjob:

cucvrus

006.jpg005.jpg014.jpg015.jpg016.jpg018.jpg019.jpg
I gave Mr.Rusty a bit of my time today. He will need some more work on the front frame section. I have decided to replace the calipers and the front brake hoses. I needle scaled the front differential some. It will need some more. I want to have the frame in paint this week. Thank you for looking. Mr Rusty will be getting a new set of front fenders. I will be crushing these fenders.

cucvrus

001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg006.jpg007.jpg008.jpg009.jpg010.jpg011.jpg012.jpg013.jpg014.jpg015.jpg016.jpg017.jpg018.jpg019.jpg020.jpgMore sanding ,wiring wheeling and needle scaling and then a good wash down with wax and grease remover. I pressure blasted the front frame section with the solvent. I blew it dry and wiped it down. Waited a couple hours and sprayed the undercoating rust inhibitor onto the front section of the frame. Also cleaned the cab floor and cab mounts and sprayed them also. it is a slow labor intense process. But it is coming right along. Check out the rust on the calipers. i am replacing them and the hoses. Less then $100. for all with a lifetime warranty. Thanks for looking. If you have something useful to say have at it. If not well? You know. Have a nice day.

pa.rich

I have a K3500, 1987 same condition, flaking all over the rear half and one broken rear shackle , The cab was all repaired using parts from LM and classic truck. Then the frame cracked, I broke the back window, and then the driveshaft broke off at the rear axle, (the tube was rusted) I am done with it, unless I am real ambitious. It has an old snow plow on it. If I was the owner of that i would take that plow off and sell it and junk the rest. I haven't decided what to do with mine. I may scrap it. The truck reminds me of the country song "Some beach" I am in N.E. Pa. so my rust is the same, maybe worse on the frame. But my cab is good.

rustystud

I have a K3500, 1987 same condition, flaking all over the rear half and one broken rear shackle , The cab was all repaired using parts from LM and classic truck. Then the frame cracked, I broke the back window, and then the driveshaft broke off at the rear axle, (the tube was rusted) I am done with it, unless I am real ambitious. It has an old snow plow on it. If I was the owner of that i would take that plow off and sell it and junk the rest. I haven't decided what to do with mine. I may scrap it. The truck reminds me of the country song "Some beach" I am in N.E. Pa. so my rust is the same, maybe worse on the frame. But my cab is good.
When the frame goes ( breaks, cracks, falls off) I usually call it "quites" on the vehicle and scrap it out. I actually had a Ford LTD Marquee that the rear frame fell off while driving it ! The whole rear-end (trunk and bumper) just kinda of fell down.

cucvrus

024.jpgMr Rusty has met his donor. This was in the pile very deep. it required extraction by the Crown of Thorns. 019.jpgNo match for the power of the M1009. This is an M1031 frame that I cut up in 2009. It was deep in the pile. It is good to rotate your scrap regularly. Thanks for looking I am off to work with the torch. More updates later.

cucvrus

025.jpg026.jpg027.jpg028.jpg029.jpgI remember this truck frame very well. It was pieced together. It had a radiator support from an M1009 (Emissions Exempt sticker) and the frame was bent bad and welded at several places. The cross members were welded in place and the front section of the frame was also not in alignment. I ended up changing the frame on this M1031. Today I cut it apart and found a piece of the fan shroud in the web of the frame. Lots of good parts. I removed everything and put it in storage. I needed the 2 front spring mounts and core support mounts for Mr. Rusty. I will be getting on that Mr Rusty project real hard her in the next few days. 031.jpg030.jpgI have a nice pile of frame brackets. They were cheap and don't eat anything. They are real handy when you need one. I save the section of the frame that the stering box gets mounted on. I will copy the ORD frame repair section and save myself $100. next time I need one. Thank you for looking.

cucvrus

008.jpg009.jpg007.jpg012.jpg011.jpg014.jpg013.jpg010.jpg015.jpgI dis-assembled Mr Rusty's front differential. Mr Rusty has 4: 10 gears and I am not sure if it is posi-traction. I will throw the tin backing plates on the scrap pile and re-assemble it without them. I am sure he will survive. Tomorrow I hope to have the differential housing all needle scaled and painted.

fitz

Have you checked the rear axle to make sure it has 4:10 gears?
Its coming along nicely.
I'm sure the owner is looking forward to plowing with it next winter.

cucvrus

Mr Rusty received a lot of attention today. I started at 0730 and quit at 1930. He got a lot of work done as did I. After working a few hours I went to the Upullit and scored a few parts. I will be going back next week. I found a lot of things in the first row. I had a medical issue with a cut on my hand and had to get it taken care of. It looked worse then it was. Wife smacked me and said get back to work Bum. You don't get off that easy.007.jpgThis is what it looked like when I started today. Still slacking on the needle blasting of the front differential. 010.jpgPut the front diff cover back on used my tried and true. 009.jpgGot right on putting the front frame back together. The front right frame rail was all whittled out from the poor plow install. I011.jpg012.jpg012.jpg013.jpg014.jpg015.jpg put some new bumper horns on the frame and installed a few more bolts that should have been there from the beginning. A lot of work done in one day. Along with cutting down an apple tree and cleaning the garage. Tomorrow I guess I will get something done. Stop slacking off is what my Wife always says. Thanks for looking. The meat smoker will be burning in the AM. Ribs are on the menu.

Last edited:

cucvrus

007.jpgMr Rusty is getting a nice used rust free core support. 008.jpg009.jpgMr Rusty's front differential after 3 hours of needle scaling. 010.jpg011.jpgAfter I sprayed it with the iron guard and the undercoating. I will need to flip the differential and spray the bottom side. 012.jpgI sprayed another coat of under coating on the entire frame inside and out. This will have an interesting smell when I restart the engine. Thank you for looking. I still have grass to mow and supper is ready. Take care. Good luck on your projects.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks